Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Container packed - stuff wouldn't fit!

Container packed - stuff wouldn't fit!

Old Jan 14th 2009, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Container packed - stuff wouldn't fit!

Hi all,

Well the removal people came in (Wentworth Removals this end) all done through Allied Movers in NZ, the guys were very professional and did a brilliant job, very nice chaps. The 20ft container arrived and the packing started, they had a 3 hour window to get it all on, and my god they were good at filling every gap in there, but unfortunately the words of "I don't think this is all going to fit on" came out - we had to make a snap decision there and then of what to leave, so we opted for the 2 leather sofa's (they are 7 years old) and a few garden bits, swing and sledge etc. It would be cheaper to buy new out there, sofa's I mean, rather than pay over spill.

What I will say to all you guys out there waiting for the container to arrive is proritise stuff that you don't mind leaving behind if push comes to shove. The packers did a great job and when we had the initial quote they did say we were tight for a 20ft container, but our packers did their very best to fill every space.

It's all done now and it goes on the ship tomorrow - that's it, so then, who wants to buy a leather sofa...........
Old Jan 14th 2009, 2:23 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Container packed - stuff wouldn't fit!

I love the thought of a totally jammed packed container. It's just so sensible. Well done you.

So , you move ever closer to the bottom of the world and all your wordly goods are now on the high seas.
Here is a toast to you and yours.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

At least you'll have something to sit on while you are still here Hopefully we will fit all of our stuff in 20ft; if not and we need a 40ft I will be buying lots of stuff here to fill it and get my money's worth!!

Phyl x
Old Jan 14th 2009, 5:17 pm
SLH
Forum Regular

SLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud of

Well done you, don't think I could have made that decision. Our container was packed to the gunnels nothing else would go in. I had to warn them on this side to open it carefully. (mind you it did take one fella a whole day just to pack my kitchen) With all the stuff we have bought over here now ours would have to definitely be a 40 if we were to return not that we are thinking that though. Very settled here and have no inkling to move anywhere.

Hope all goes well with the rest of your move.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

nick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SLH
Well done you, don't think I could have made that decision. Our container was packed to the gunnels nothing else would go in. I had to warn them on this side to open it carefully. (mind you it did take one fella a whole day just to pack my kitchen) With all the stuff we have bought over here now ours would have to definitely be a 40 if we were to return not that we are thinking that though. Very settled here and have no inkling to move anywhere.

Hope all goes well with the rest of your move.
Wife wants to know what colour the sofa's are lol. Only a bloody woman would want to know that!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

Yippeee sold the sofa's!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teebrown
Yippeee sold the sofa's!
Good news. Told my OH your dilemma and he said that you were very understanding.......he would have told them in not too polite a manner that they quoted storage space knowing that the sofas were going so they better get them to NZ at their cost. God help the rep coming to us next week,better tell her to over guess-timate!!

Phyl x
Old Jan 19th 2009, 7:25 am
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Well the removal people came in (Wentworth Removals this end) all done through Allied Movers in NZ, the guys were very professional and did a brilliant job, very nice chaps. The 20ft container arrived and the packing started, they had a 3 hour window to get it all on, and my god they were good at filling every gap in there, but unfortunately the words of "I don't think this is all going to fit on" came out - we had to make a snap decision there and then of what to leave, so we opted for the 2 leather sofa's (they are 7 years old) and a few garden bits, swing and sledge etc. It would be cheaper to buy new out there, sofa's I mean, rather than pay over spill.

What I will say to all you guys out there waiting for the container to arrive is proritise stuff that you don't mind leaving behind if push comes to shove. The packers did a great job and when we had the initial quote they did say we were tight for a 20ft container, but our packers did their very best to fill every space.

It's all done now and it goes on the ship tomorrow - that's it, so then, who wants to buy a leather sofa...........
Hi all sofas should be packed standing upright could you not get them in like that? still happy shoping hope we still have the sales on
Lin
Old Jan 19th 2009, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

These guys were brilliant, yes they had the sofa's up on end and everything, they did everything they can and filled every inch of the containers, you couln't fit a piece of paper in it after they were done.

Also we have only sent one half of the christmas tree the other half was in the roof box which also couldn't get on!! along with the feet for the sofa and bolts for the swing which also couldn't get on!

Oh well, i'm calm about it now.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:35 pm
luckybean

angmargien is an unknown quantity at this point

These guys were brilliant, yes they had the sofa's up on end and everything, they did everything they can and filled every inch of the containers, you couln't fit a piece of paper in it after they were done.

Also we have only sent one half of the christmas tree the other half was in the roof box which also couldn't get on!! along with the feet for the sofa and bolts for the swing which also couldn't get on!

Oh well, i'm calm about it now.

How exciting! Do you know if one has to be in NZ when the goods arrive there? Only I am planning to go travelling overland and my stuff is likely to get there before I do, so I was going to get it sent straight to my brothers'.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

We used Crown and they prepared the stuff for the container and then packed it. But before we got to that stage, they came and made a list with us of what we would be taking so we would know it would fit before we got started. My wife wishes we had brought the piano, we ended up with room for it, but it was good to leave it behind as we went to a rental and then here to the new house. It would have been a hassel to move a piano around.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by angmargien
How exciting! Do you know if one has to be in NZ when the goods arrive there? Only I am planning to go travelling overland and my stuff is likely to get there before I do, so I was going to get it sent straight to my brothers'.
Hi, with Allied Movers they will store our stuff up to 6 weeks for free, they do charge a handling fee to transfer it from container to storage, but it's not too bad.

Good luck