Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Container One Day/MAF The Next - How Does That Work

Container One Day/MAF The Next - How Does That Work

Old Mar 15th 2007, 12:55 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Question Container One Day/MAF The Next - How Does That Work

Mmmm....just got a message from our shippers to say delivery of container will be one day and MAF inspection the next. Does this mean that we will have to stare at unopened cartons for 24 hrs?
If so how can we check that they aint full of broken stuff??
Will this involve Customs or MAF only?
Waiting for a reply from the movers but wondered if anyone else had experienced this sort of thing......
Am I being stupid???

any thoughts/expereinces would be appreciated??
Old Mar 15th 2007, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Container One Day/MAF The Next - How Does That Work

MAF should give you a list of things they want to look at. These are most likely to be the vacuum cleaner, outdoor items and any dried flower arrangements... by all means check your boxes for breakages! Happy unpacking!
Old Mar 15th 2007, 1:11 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlmckay
MAF should give you a list of things they want to look at. These are most likely to be the vacuum cleaner, outdoor items and any dried flower arrangements... by all means check your boxes for breakages! Happy unpacking!
thanks m8ty.....was being dumb but packers thought that Customs would be interested in our secret stash of prescription drugs that we declared on the forms....so a bit confused...DOH
Old Mar 15th 2007, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
Mmmm....just got a message from our shippers to say delivery of container will be one day and MAF inspection the next. Does this mean that we will have to stare at unopened cartons for 24 hrs?
If so how can we check that they aint full of broken stuff??
Will this involve Customs or MAF only?
Waiting for a reply from the movers but wondered if anyone else had experienced this sort of thing......
Am I being stupid???

any thoughts/expereinces would be appreciated??
I believe you will have to clear with customs first, before MAF can make
an inspection. Have you actually booked the MAF inspection? They can't always do it on the day you request. Depends if you've chosen to clear
your container throught customs and MAF yourself, or you've paid the
shipper to do it. In that case, they should be taking care of making
appointments, etc. I believe the container can stay in storage for 3-5
days, depending, before you have to are required to pay demurrage fees.
You will not be able to see, feel, or touch your stuff until it is cleared
by both MAF and Customs.
I have found that depending on which Customs officer takes care of
your shipment, you may have to pay fees on any *new* goods you
are bringing in, or you may not. It's the luck of the draw and could
mean the difference of something like $100.
Depending on how you organized this, once the shipment is cleared,
you must move it out of storage quickly, or you will be liable for demurrage
fees, so however you have determined you will move the shipment from
its storage to its final destination will have to be arranged quickly.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 2:00 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Weezer
I believe you will have to clear with customs first, before MAF can make
an inspection. Have you actually booked the MAF inspection? They can't always do it on the day you request. Depends if you've chosen to clear
your container throught customs and MAF yourself, or you've paid the
shipper to do it. In that case, they should be taking care of making
appointments, etc. I believe the container can stay in storage for 3-5
days, depending, before you have to are required to pay demurrage fees.
You will not be able to see, feel, or touch your stuff until it is cleared
by both MAF and Customs.
I have found that depending on which Customs officer takes care of
your shipment, you may have to pay fees on any *new* goods you
are bringing in, or you may not. It's the luck of the draw and could
mean the difference of something like $100.
Depending on how you organized this, once the shipment is cleared,
you must move it out of storage quickly, or you will be liable for demurrage
fees, so however you have determined you will move the shipment from
its storage to its final destination will have to be arranged quickly.
This wasn't our experience. The container came to our house (with the seal intact) at 9am. Boxes were shifted into the house, leaving aside the ones that MAF had flagged for inspection.

MAF turned up at 4:30 and were at the house for about 20 minutes. The guy spent more time asking me about the contents than sighting it himself - for example he asked about the tent, I said it was new and unused, he passed that box without unsealing it.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley
This wasn't our experience. The container came to our house (with the seal intact) at 9am. Boxes were shifted into the house, leaving aside the ones that MAF had flagged for inspection.

MAF turned up at 4:30 and were at the house for about 20 minutes. The guy spent more time asking me about the contents than sighting it himself - for example he asked about the tent, I said it was new and unused, he passed that box without unsealing it.

Good point. Thanks for clarifying that. I was referring to less-than-container loads.

I found the MAF inspectors to be very pleasant, and they believe you
when you tell them the truth, that it's new. They don't go looking to
verify it themselves. I believe they are most interested at looking at
food and outdoor equipment. Even though I did bring a lot of food, the
inspections usually went fairly quickly.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by RobClubley

Exactly what I experienced as well... MAF wanted to look at the vacuum cleaner (and took away the contents too!), the bike, the dog bed and the tents. Was also on the day the container arrived at my house too.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

anarkissed bathmat is just really niceanarkissed bathmat is just really niceanarkissed bathmat is just really niceanarkissed bathmat is just really niceanarkissed bathmat is just really niceanarkissed bathmat is just really niceanarkissed bathmat is just really niceanarkissed bathmat is just really niceanarkissed bathmat is just really nice

Exactly our experience too.
We had to leave about 5 boxes to the side ( on a concrete floor) and about an hour or so after the container arrived the MAF man came, did his stuff, left. No hassle at all.
Try not to worry, it's not as frightening as it all sounds.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 5:55 am
Account Closed

cherry will become famous soon enoughcherry will become famous soon enough

No probs here with MAF ,we declared a few things new to customs and paid the said duty,Maf requested 14 packages to inspect and they were held back at the Moving Peoples warehouse .I was there for the inspection ,food(all canned) ,fishing gear some outside chairs ,table ,brolly and my toolchest etc which was metal anyway so it was described wrong.The MAF guy ,very polite and chatty said he had not seen an inventory like ours and it made his job so easy .All passed within 30 mins and fair play to the Moving Company it was all back at my house the same day .Dont worry too much about declaring new things either as a few enquiries told me that your container is not x rayed and they go on what you declare .Wood and meats and cane and any plants seem to be top of the list.I could have save a few dollars had I known .Too honest sometimes .
Maf are not the ogres you expect them to be .
Old Mar 15th 2007, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Container One Day/MAF The Next - How Does That Work

Check all your Christmas Decorations are all still there (if you've brought them). Maf phoned us on inspection about 1 decoration that had pine cones on it, we told them to destroy it. When we opened the box 6 months later, (wish we'd checked when it arrived) a set of lights, my daughters china nativity set, santa sacks & hats etc. were all gone. A few light fingered people there I think.