British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   To container or not to container that is the ?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/container-not-container-467692/)

kato33 Jul 20th 2007 5:38 pm

To container or not to container that is the ??

Give me some advice you fantastic peeps......

TV, dvd, video, kids bikes, kids motorbike, patio set (expensive one) gas bbq, clothes, computer, a few pics of the walls and a few ornaments.

Do you think its worth getting a container for that lot?

Will £3500 cost be better saved and spend over there re-buying these bits?

Nici

rubini Jul 20th 2007 5:54 pm

Re: To container or not to container that is the ??

Hi Kato
TV DVD & Video may not be compatible except for playing British Dvd's Video's etc. Are you really in love with your patio set. and im sure the kids would really love new toy's. It would certainly help with the shock of the move. So as for the rest buy space in a shared container. Well thats my suggestion but im sure others will want their say. Good luck Sean :D

hitchcock71 Jul 20th 2007 5:55 pm

not worth a container... how much is excess baggage????? but wouldn't bother with bikes garden f and etc just take everything else and fly it as excess baggage???

kato33 Jul 20th 2007 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by hitchcock71 (Post 5083938)
not worth a container... how much is excess baggage????? but wouldn't bother with bikes garden f and etc just take everything else and fly it as excess baggage???

Does anyone know how much excess you can take?

You both seem to make sense though, mainly worried about the boys motorbike in case we cant get another over there. That would just about kill him. He loves his bike does my boy.

Nici

rubini Jul 20th 2007 6:06 pm

OK Ship the bike the one in my avatar is going to cost approx £600 to ship so if smaller than a 700cc Honda.it might be a couple of hundred quid. Get your boy looking at trade me and see if there is anything on it he likes. than take it from there. :thumbsup: Sean

hitchcock71 Jul 20th 2007 6:20 pm

tbh i think its not worth shipping sell everything and buy new.

put it this way you have been quoted £3500 for a container to nz to put yr things in we have been quoted the same price and we are taking everything !!! (3 bed house)

what was the price for a part or full container???

karonious Jul 21st 2007 1:43 am

Take your stuff Nici. It is good to have your own things about you once you get organised. Ours was a part load or groupage - you don't have to fill a container.
I wish we had taken more of the garden stuff - I loved the old hammock! We got rid of the gardening tools and they were expensive to replace. I don't really know why we got rid of the ladders and the Christmas tree - weren't thinking too well I guess :blink:.
To be honest, we were thinking it would be cheaper to sell up then replace once we got here rather than pay for shipping. We got a pittance for the stuff we sold and paid more dearly to buy it here. We hadn't been on the forum very long before we moved or might have asked a few more questions :unsure:

nero Jul 21st 2007 3:11 am

We have just paid about £3000 for the whole of our three bedded house to be shipped. So your quote seems on the steep side. We decided to bring as much as possible as we believed it would cost us more to buy it all again in NZ and we wanted the familiarity of our stuff (sad but true).

Hope this helps :thumbup:

Kerry W Jul 21st 2007 4:58 am

Hi Kato
We brought a container full and we are so pleased that we did. It made our transition over here much easier and it felt like home from home bringing our stuff. We did bring virtually everything we had.

Buying stuff out here can be very expensive and sometimes the quality of the goods you buy are not the same as back home i.e. towelling, sheets, duvets (definately bring your own) etc. Your money soon disappears when you move here :ohmy:

Sounds like you would be better off bringing as much as you can if your going to be paying 3K. :D

helinuk Jul 21st 2007 9:10 am

Nici
I agree with Karen bring your things with you unless they are very old and past their usfulness. We've done both-we only took a few boxes to Singapore +suitcases and then brought a 40 ft container back to UK! ...It took time and money to buy all that stuff! :lol:
Take a look on ebay and see what you'll get for your things. I just put 2 Ikea dining chairs on ebay - hardly used and got 0.99p! wish I'd given them to local hospice shop now!

We are taking a 40 ft container-
Hubby is varnishing garden tools and painting the metal bits as I type! We are taking all we can because we want to put our 'spare' cash into buying a house not buying brand new everything else!
Just my tupence worth:)

Steve and the Dragon Jul 21st 2007 9:46 pm

Hi

When we moved from Auckland to the UK we sold an entire 4 bed house and learned the hard way. Don't sell up, it costs so much to re-buy even the smallest things (especially the million and one smallest things). Take it with you !!!
Jay xx

Jac&Adie Jul 22nd 2007 9:11 am

Also bear in mind that no matter how carefully you plan, you will heamorrage money in your first few months here.

we had a sole use 20ft container, half for belonging, half for a vehicle and the container had to go to two addresses and be dropped (not literally) onto the ground for loading which all costs extra, we paid just over £4000. Worth every penny to have all your own stuff once you get here.

Also, having a company take care of the whole shipping thing is so easy, they pack it up load it and unpack for you at other end (if you want them to)

Very stress free

Adie

kato33 Jul 23rd 2007 8:18 am

Originally Posted by helinuk (Post 5086033)
Nici
I agree with Karen bring your things with you unless they are very old and past their usfulness. We've done both-we only took a few boxes to Singapore +suitcases and then brought a 40 ft container back to UK! ...It took time and money to buy all that stuff! :lol:
Take a look on ebay and see what you'll get for your things. I just put 2 Ikea dining chairs on ebay - hardly used and got 0.99p! wish I'd given them to local hospice shop now!

We are taking a 40 ft container-
Hubby is varnishing garden tools and painting the metal bits as I type! We are taking all we can because we want to put our 'spare' cash into buying a house not buying brand new everything else!
Just my tupence worth:)

Cheers everyone for you advice.

I think I will check out another shipping company today and try to do a share.

Nici

karonious Jul 23rd 2007 9:10 am

Originally Posted by kato33 (Post 5092725)
Cheers everyone for you advice.

I think I will check out another shipping company today and try to do a share.

Nici

Hi Nici,
It may take a while longer until the removal company find someone else heading to the same destination but if you don't mind a bit of a wait, it may be worth your while. We had our furniture uplifted the 8th Septmember and it couldn't leave the country until the 28th at the very earliest as the visa didn't come through until then. Our furniture was delivered on the 13th Dec despite being held up by MAF. So 10 weeks once we finally got the Visa - a bit longer than a full container but no problem really. :cool:

KIRSTIE Jul 23rd 2007 10:07 am

hi nici

paul and i were in the same predicament, but now we are just going to sell everything with the house, but we have a few pictures, books and cds that we want to take, where i work we use couriers to ship stuff around the uk and europe so i am going to get a quote to see how much it will be to send it on a pallet with TNT as we do not have that much stuff and as long as it is wrapped well it should be ok.

i have checked on some websites etc and if you are going to be replacing goods with your "english" money that you have brought with you then it works out about the same price as here in the uk.

with regards

kirstie