Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Container arriving Monday

Container arriving Monday

Old Jul 10th 2013, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

qssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really nice
Default Container arriving Monday

full panic mode now in full swing!!
My darling husband has been packing boxes for weeks now and i have packed a large case each for the kids clothes, (Don't even want to start thinking about mine!) for the next 3 months or so!
I have discovered 3 large containers of washing liquid tablets in the rear of a cupboard that has not even been opened in our garage of years! Does anyone know if I can put these in the container? How about toiletries, ie deod. cans etc?
Panic buying kids clothing/shoes etc. Is there anything that springs to mind that I should be bringing? We have a 40ft container that I can squeeze some more into!!!
thanks chapsxx
Old Jul 10th 2013, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Container arriving Monday

Toiletries are fine but they can get funny with bulk buying, apparently. Here in NZ I miss middle of the road furniture, its either very cheap or very costly. Likewise with kitchen electricals. Clothing, depends on where you are. Am limited in invers being tall. Still have to import trousers. Trainers are way cheaper in The UK, and sports gear like sports bras of a decent make.

I have no kids so can't help on that regard.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

qssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really nice

Thanks M&M, not sure if I am being weird or if everyone goes through the same! We thought that we would only have a 20ft container, but a 40 was only £250 more!
Old Jul 10th 2013, 6:52 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Decent bookshelves are very expensive over here, as are books in fact. You've mentioned shoes and clothes

The shipping company will tell you whether they'll allow the dishwashing and toiletry stuff. I think it's often more to do with possible leakage than anything else. If you have the room then bring as much as possible.

I shipped 72 cu ft so I'm probably not the person to ask!
Old Jul 10th 2013, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

Zuzuspetals is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know what size container we'll be having yet, but fully understanding the "panic" buying of clothes/shoes etc.
I'm also looking at good, proper waterproof jackets as we're moving to Wellington! And camping gear that we don't yet have...and I best get back to ebay to see what else we'll need
Old Jul 10th 2013, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

S_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the rough

We packed all sorts. Colour catchers, Calgon, Deodorant, Toothpaste. It depends on how much room you have in your container. Our shippers did tell us that aerosols can't be sent on a ship so be aware of that.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 8:41 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

bring what you want but bear in mind at some stage you will run out and either get it all shipped over again or find the NZ equivalent. I find it hard to find decent shoes/walking boots at a decent price, very expensive here. so thats the only thing I think I could of bought more pairs off. Not into designer type clothing so Warehouse does us or if I do want something a bit nice free delivery from M&S always works and Tescos something have offers on
Old Jul 10th 2013, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks chaps,
Aerosols ok with PSS but not some other companies.Strange!!!
Old Jul 10th 2013, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

I was told that I couldn't bring my wicker furniture but when I asked immigration direct they said it was fine as long as it was treated
Old Jul 10th 2013, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

Daisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond reputeDaisy616 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi qssue - which shipping co are you using which is only charging £250 more for a 40ft? (if you don't mind saying?) All of the ones I asked were a minimum of £900 extra for a 40ft over a 20ft!

By the way - I've received conflicting opinions about what you can take too - it's v. confusing isn't it. Herbs and spices is another one that varies from yes they're find to noooo, completely banned.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Re stuff you can take: I found the shipping company seriously erred on the side of caution. I came before OH, someone here in NZ told me to question it. When we did, by asking immigration directly they often said yes where other people said no. Another one was Gatorade powdered drink for sports. I am a sponsored athlete and have LOTS. It would cost a fortune to replace. I was told I couldn't take it. When I queried it with immigration themselves I was told it was fine. Just be wary of what you're told 'no' to.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 10:26 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by M_and_M
Re stuff you can take: I found the shipping company seriously erred on the side of caution. I came before OH, someone here in NZ told me to question it. When we did, by asking immigration directly they often said yes where other people said no. Another one was Gatorade powdered drink for sports. I am a sponsored athlete and have LOTS. It would cost a fortune to replace. I was told I couldn't take it. When I queried it with immigration themselves I was told it was fine. Just be wary of what you're told 'no' to.
It's more to do with the shipping companies' liability than customs requirement. I binned or burned all my wicker or sea grass baskets. They would have been treated during the manufacturing process. NZ customs showed no interest in the wooden chopping boards and wooden spoons from our kitchen.

They loved my vacuum cleaner though ! Plus other things they picked out.

It defies belief that I've heard stories of a cat litter tray being packed including the stink but shipping companies get picky about the oddest things.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

I know. My container is due in the next few weeks and they have decided they would like to closely inspect 22 items. Who knows what will happen.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

PHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to behold

My container arrives tomorrow and it was inspected. i have packed everything from a 4 bed house in 40ft container and i mean everything and the only thing maff picked up on was pinecones on our christmas tree which they removed and distroyed. looking forward to my bottles of malt whisky and wine i have had for a year or so.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lucky you Phonejunky!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.