Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

container advice anyone?

container advice anyone?

Old Jul 17th 2013, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

kazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to all
Default container advice anyone?

We are in the process of getting shipping quotes (Dunedin bound) and one of the companies quoted for delivery within a mile of port Chalmers. Although I don't know the area I don't think we will be living within a mile so what do we do? Are we expected to nip down with a wheelbarrow and collect our stuff! I'm assuming that will incur an extra charge but surely that should be part of the package? Anyone else experienced this? Also we were told not to take teabags, I know it sounds a bit sad but I thought I may as well because I love my tea and they could do us until we find a nz alternative. Thanks for reading
Old Jul 17th 2013, 10:48 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: container advice anyone?

you need to look for door to door quotes but unless you know where you are going to be that's going to be a bit difficult.

As for teabags unless you are going to get them shipped over regularly you might as well find one you like here. I wouldn't suggest putting them in the container what with the extreme climate changes it will go through on the crossing.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

kazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to all

Thanks for the speedy answer Mrs Fychan. It's a bit difficult to know where we will be, we will probably go in a motel for a week while we find a rental. We have ideas of areas we like but wo.t know until we get there, I thought saying Dunedin would be enough. I'll ditch the tea bag idea then.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 11:14 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

you could always bring some in your suitcases, as long as you declare them should be ok

As for container they should have a cost for door to door being in a certain region, it's not like they wouldn't have delivered roundabouts previously to give you a ball park figure.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

rossojo will become famous soon enoughrossojo will become famous soon enough

We used PSS, they wouldn't send it over without an address, but as we knew we would be in Christchurch they gave us a door to door quote and we emailed our address once we had secured a rental.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Crown Relocations have an depot here (Dunedin) and they're based in the UK too, we used them to move from Auckland to Dunedin. It might be worth giving them a call.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 5:11 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kazandav
Thanks for the speedy answer Mrs Fychan. It's a bit difficult to know where we will be, we will probably go in a motel for a week while we find a rental. We have ideas of areas we like but wo.t know until we get there, I thought saying Dunedin would be enough. I'll ditch the tea bag idea then.
We used PSS from Surrey to Christchurch. We didn't have an address in Christchurch. PSS were ok with that and we advised them of our rental address when we got one. This took a couple of weeks. This was the couple of weeks, 'free' storage in Christchurch that was agreed.

I buy Tetley tea bags here from an expat shop. I don't know what brand you like. I wouldn't like to eat or drink anything that had been in a container at sea for 3 months. (Other people will have their opinions too.) Excepting commercial goods of course.

Our pc monitor was not functioning on arrival in NZ as we think damp got into it in the tropics. It fell to the floor and broke during an earthquake so it was just easier to dump it.

All our other possessions arrived in the same condition they left Britain.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

rossojo will become famous soon enoughrossojo will become famous soon enough

One thing we found was that items with a white plastic trim turned creamy yellow! So fridge, keyboard, freezer, washing machine, can't remember what else.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone, that's given me plenty to think about. Barnsleymat, have had crown out but they were about £800 dearer than the cheapest quote. So much to think about, not least where where the flippin heck we're gonna live in 3 weeks when we sell the house, panic panic! We have pss coming out today as well so we can decide who to use then.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

With PSS its 30 miles from Wellington Harbour, which is a fair distance and would cover most areas that people live
Old Jul 18th 2013, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute

We are in the process of getting shipping quotes (Dunedin bound) and one of the companies quoted for delivery within a mile of port Chalmers. Although I don't know the area I don't think we will be living within a mile so what do we do? Are we expected to nip down with a wheelbarrow and collect our stuff! I'm assuming that will incur an extra charge but surely that should be part of the package? Anyone else experienced this? Also we were told not to take teabags, I know it sounds a bit sad but I thought I may as well because I love my tea and they could do us until we find a nz alternative. Thanks for reading
Seconding what Moonie said about PSS, they'll usually give you a door to door quote with a radius around the port you specify.

With regards to tea, Bell Tea is disgusting, most brands do an English Breakfast Tea. Dilma Ceylon tea is quite nice, similar to what we're used to, we also like Pams red label. (I like tea and have opinions about it, it seems :-))
Old Jul 18th 2013, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

I drink decaf tea, I dont mind which one as long as its a brand like tetley, typhoo, pg. Can I get decaf there? Sorry for the stupid questions, when I asked our friends a question once (fooferfish), he replied that it wasn't a third world country lol.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

liamhere is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone, that's given me plenty to think about. Barnsleymat, have had crown out but they were about £800 dearer than the cheapest quote. So much to think about, not least where where the flippin heck we're gonna live in 3 weeks when we sell the house, panic panic! We have pss coming out today as well so we can decide who to use then.
can i ask who was your cheapest quote please
Old Jul 18th 2013, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Liam,
Pickfords are the cheapest so far, but we have had PSS out today and are awaiting their quote which is due tomorrow so I will post again to let you know.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

liamhere is an unknown quantity at this point

great, thanks for the info, look forward to the update tomorrow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.