Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Consumer Law question

Consumer Law question

Old Mar 16th 2008, 10:02 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Consumer Law question

Top of the morning to you all.

I have been trying to find the answer to this on a consumer law site but not found the answer yet. Wondered if any of you tradesman out there could answer this for me in respect to NZ law.

Within what length of time should you invoice a client for work carried out?

I believe in the UK its 6 months....

Old Mar 17th 2008, 2:16 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Consumer Law question

Originally Posted by dreamfish
Top of the morning to you all.

I have been trying to find the answer to this on a consumer law site but not found the answer yet. Wondered if any of you tradesman out there could answer this for me in respect to NZ law.

Within what length of time should you invoice a client for work carried out?

I believe in the UK its 6 months....

http://www.crazywebsite.com/Pg-Free-...n-Smilie-1.gif
I've no idea but have lost count of the number of times I've had to chase people here so I can pay them
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
I've no idea but have lost count of the number of times I've had to chase people here so I can pay them

I would NEVER chase anyone to pay them..I would have spent enough energy getting them to do the job in the first place, if they are that dumb not to request payment they do not deserve paying. I would not expect someone to pay me if I did not bill them.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

Knightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really nice

I doubt that the law specifies when someone ought to invoice. .

What's the hurry dreamfish... unless ou are thinking, what is the latest for them to send the invoice so that if they invoice late you won't pay. ??!!
Old Mar 18th 2008, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by Knightm
I doubt that the law specifies when someone ought to invoice. .

What's the hurry dreamfish... unless ou are thinking, what is the latest for them to send the invoice so that if they invoice late you won't pay. ??!!
i got an invoice out the blue for some work i had a couple months ago. it was a call out to dishwasher, he was here all of 5 minutes and never heard from him again. then i get a bill for $85 plus GST. Apparently he was here 45 minutes.

toss pot.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 4:35 am
Banned

pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice

i got an invoice out the blue for some work i had a couple months ago. it was a call out to dishwasher, he was here all of 5 minutes and never heard from him again. then i get a bill for $85 plus GST. Apparently he was here 45 minutes.

toss pot.
Every face has a price
Old Mar 18th 2008, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

Knightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really nice

Then I would request to see the timesheet which should have been signed by yrself.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

Not bad for $125 per hr
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Usually trades people, particularly companies would have a minimum callout charge of an hour, or so, to account for travel time etc. So 45 mins doesn't seem too bad. Always best to check the pricing policy before letting them in your home, as you don't have much of a leg to stand on and can hardly grumble about the price after the deed has been done.

Only professionals such as legal eagles and tax accountants earn enough to charge at intervals of per minute.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Usually trades people, particularly companies would have a minimum callout charge of an hour, or so, to account for travel time etc. So 45 mins doesn't seem too bad. Always best to check the pricing policy before letting them in your home, as you don't have much of a leg to stand on and can hardly grumble about the price after the deed has been done.

Only professionals such as legal eagles and tax accountants earn enough to charge at intervals of per minute.
yeh he said it was $65 call out fee to include first half hour work, but he was here 5 minutes. i think he has charged from the time he took the call from me (chasing him up to see where he was, as he didnt come at 10am when he said he would and i called him at half 2, he arrived just before 3 and left just after 3!)
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:27 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

yeh he said it was $65 call out fee to include first half hour work, but he was here 5 minutes. i think he has charged from the time he took the call from me (chasing him up to see where he was, as he didnt come at 10am when he said he would and i called him at half 2, he arrived just before 3 and left just after 3!)
You sure he wasn't Heather Mills? She's worth £1700 a minute for her 4 year marriage!

(Where did I go wrong?)
Old Mar 18th 2008, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
You sure he wasn't Heather Mills? She's worth £1700 a minute for her 4 year marriage!

(Where did I go wrong?)
yeh we're in the wrong business obviously!!!
Old Mar 18th 2008, 8:15 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

We had some trees chopped by a big-ish Wellington company. They missed one which they'd quoted to do and it took nearly a year to get them back to finish the job. They completely forgot to call me back for six months, so I completely forgot about the $500 bill. Eventually they sorted it and I paid them!