Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Consultants: good or waste of money?

Consultants: good or waste of money?

Old Jul 31st 2007, 8:17 am
Just Joined

Jayne and Trev is just really niceJayne and Trev is just really niceJayne and Trev is just really niceJayne and Trev is just really niceJayne and Trev is just really niceJayne and Trev is just really niceJayne and Trev is just really niceJayne and Trev is just really niceJayne and Trev is just really nice
Default Consultants: good or waste of money?

Hi, heard about this site and after seeing all the good advice i thought id join.

My partner and I are starting our application for NZ. He is 34 and a carpenter/roofer and I am 27, work in Human Resources and have a degree. We are looking to apply under the skilled migrant category. We have looked into consultants and the budget process for both of us is £1900 which seems a bit steep to me. Im concerned that if we do it alone then it may cost more in the long run if our application fails. Does it make the process more complicated by having a partner on the application?

Any advice would be welcome!

thanks
Jayne
Old Jul 31st 2007, 8:22 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Consultants: good or waste of money?

Originally Posted by Jayne and Trev
Hi, heard about this site and after seeing all the good advice i thought id join.

My partner and I are starting our application for NZ. He is 34 and a carpenter/roofer and I am 27, work in Human Resources and have a degree. We are looking to apply under the skilled migrant category. We have looked into consultants and the budget process for both of us is £1900 which seems a bit steep to me. Im concerned that if we do it alone then it may cost more in the long run if our application fails. Does it make the process more complicated by having a partner on the application?

thanks
Jayne

Keep your hand in your pocket Jayne, is my advice. With this lot in your corner, it'll be a doddle
Old Jul 31st 2007, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Save your money and do it yourself. We were quoted £3k over 2 years ago but were then told by another honest consultant that we didnt need her. OH did it all himself online and I collated any info that we needed. It was really quite easy... I'm sure others will give you their opinion. Good luck!
Old Jul 31st 2007, 8:43 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

I have a bit of a cheek adding to this thread as I left my husband to do absolutely all the paperwork . But he is a methodical chap and worked his way through it no problem. I would suggest unless you have highly unusual circumstances that you should manage the paperwork yourselves. Good luck
Karen B
Old Jul 31st 2007, 9:01 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

My partner and I are starting our application for NZ. He is 34 and a carpenter/roofer and I am 27, work in Human Resources and have a degree.
You can do it yourself, no worries. Just take it step by step. You don't even have to fill it all in at one go.
Register on the NZIS site and start filling in your EOI. If you get stuck or if you are a bit confused or unclear about something, give a shout. Heaps of people on here have been through the process and would be happy to help.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Keep your hand in your pocket Jayne, is my advice. With this lot in your corner, it'll be a doddle
I agree, if you do it online you can save where you got to and take as long as you need. Once you've submitted it and hopefully been selected from the pool and an ITA comes your way, you must dot all the I's and cross all the t's.
If you miss anything NZ house will let you know, pretty quickly.

Good Luck.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 10:05 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

We did use a consultant, E-migration in Christchurch. We were so confused by it all in the beginning and we had very little money so didn't want to waste any getting it wrong. Know that sounds odd but it suited us to use one. Cost 1,500 GBP. Guaranteed money back if they couldn't get us in. Paid half at the beginning of it all and now that we have PR, have other half to pay. If you were to use a consultant we would definitely recommend Peter Croxson at E-migration.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

kooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud of

thanks
Jayne
DONT use consultants! I did, and wasted valuable time with these wasters. All they seemed interested with was either talking about their oe, or pumping you for info' on where to go for their oe!!! I did it myself, no problem.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 4:05 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Yup do it your self. Tis easy and loads of help on the net.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

Jayne and Trev is just really niceJayne and Trev is just really niceJayne and Trev is just really niceJayne and Trev is just really niceJayne and Trev is just really niceJayne and Trev is just really niceJayne and Trev is just really niceJayne and Trev is just really niceJayne and Trev is just really nice

Thanks guys! We will definitely be thinking a bit more carefully now and will look into doing it alone. I can find the fees for single applications under the skilled migrant category but does anyone know how much it is for a partner application, do you have to apply separately? Ive been searching everywhere. Also, worried that neither of us have a job their yet, will this make a huge difference?
Old Jul 31st 2007, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

Aurifex is an unknown quantity at this point

Print the forms off and fill them in for practice to give you an idea.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 10:19 pm

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys! We will definitely be thinking a bit more carefully now and will look into doing it alone. I can find the fees for single applications under the skilled migrant category but does anyone know how much it is for a partner application, do you have to apply separately? Ive been searching everywhere. Also, worried that neither of us have a job their yet, will this make a huge difference?
Fill in this form online, it will give you a quick idea if you can apply without a job offer.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/pointsindicator/
Old Jul 31st 2007, 11:35 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Your partner will either be the main applicant or a dependent. There is only the one charge for each family for the Expression of Interest (EOI) and the Invitation to Apply (ITA). However, if you are successful on your ITA you will be asked to pony up a migrant levy for each member of your family that is immigrating (up to a certain limit. Last year we paid NZ$300 per person for a NZ$900 total. The NZIS capped the levy total at NZ$1200. The fees may have gone up since then, I don't know.).
Old Aug 1st 2007, 12:56 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Completely agree with all the wonderful folk above.

I've come to rely on this site pretty heavily for advice and support, and may not have had the guts to apply myself, online, with the EOI, without the great network here!

Lordy I'm getting all mushy now.

But I sent you some karma, Jayne and Trev (little blue boxes in your profile) for luck.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 7:56 am
Just Joined

Cheers Everyone! Im so glad ive found this site. Were definitely not going to use a consultant now especially as we read the small print and the £1900 doesnt even include the application fee!!!

Thanks for all your advice, im so glad i found this forum, your all great!

Will keep you posted

Jayne xxxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.