Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Construction in Christchurch??

Construction in Christchurch??

Old Aug 1st 2012, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

stevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nice
Default Construction in Christchurch??

Hi, I am currently in Australia but if I fail in getting sponsored I am thinking of coming over to Christchurch on a WHV and look for sponsorship there. Can anybody tell me what the construction scene is there/likely to be in a years time, I am a fully qualified brickie with 8 years experience.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 5:44 am
Banned

Dangerwill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Construction in Christchurch??

You would honestly be better off staying in Aus and working as a brickie.
The wages are better in Aus and the living conditions are better too.

This is a comment from a news article posted this week regarding an Irish Builder in Christchurch who was racially bullied and had to quit his job.
The comment is written by a Brickie from the UK living in NZ.

U.K. Brickie #19 02:23 pm Aug 02 2012
As a pom I wish I could escape but stuck here sadly. I just don't work anymore cause of the what they call banter and low wages you get as an immigrant, they say it doesn’t go on but it does even down to wage rates you get and they still will deny it.. I live off my Half Kiwi wife and look after the house now. I don't get depressed about it I just make sure all my close friends are all European and Australian and at week end we take the Mickey out of the kiwis and love it. What’s sad about these stories is that most Kiwis are in denial and won’t admit it doesn’t go on, but there are several ways you can be racist and abusive in the workplace, very subtle ways and from my experience it happens all the time.Even my wife has had a taste of it.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/new...Irish-wins-13k
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Hello Steve, Im not in ChCh myself at the moment but im sure i will end up there. I reckon in a years time construction companies will have a good idea of what they will build and who they will need, if not sooner.. Id suggest you keep an eye on the job agency sites etc and see how the required employment ramps up. They will need a ton of Brickies so you'l do fine. The trick will be to time it right so you can name your price.. Good luck mate.
Gary.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

My OH is a carpenter and has been working in ChCh since Oct 2010. It is fair to say that the 'boom' has yet to materialize. The firm he works for had cut hours to 40 per week, in order to keep all current staff. They are optimistic of things picking up, with several projects in the pipeline. However, we shall see1

On the plus side, his hourly rate is more than what he earned in the UK and he has faced no problems with being a Brit - in fact, several of them took him under their wing and really helped him out on his arrival and continue to do so.

Best thing would be to contact companies direct, I think and see what their situation is.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

GS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant future

A lot of demolition to be done before the major building will start, in the Red Zone anyway. A lot of smaller make safe jobs and retaining walls etc underway in the likes of Lyttelton but for large construction projects I would say at least a year away.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

acotiga will become famous soon enough

Steve, if you're already an australian permanent resident you are allowed to come and work in NZ without any other kind of visa. Just show your visa at the airport and they'll stamp your passport with a NZ permanent visa. The reverse does not hold true.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 1:37 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

I tried to get a foot hold in CC for quite a while. The best I could get was a promise of 40 hrs but the rate was no better than anywhere else and it was on a 'as needed' contract.

A very good mate (painter/dec) is subbing and getting $33 PH but once again it's as needed. Some weeks he's lucky to get a days work!

And the cost of rentals!!!!!
Old Aug 4th 2012, 2:20 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sparkie down under
I tried to get a foot hold in CC for quite a while. The best I could get was a promise of 40 hrs but the rate was no better than anywhere else and it was on a 'as needed' contract.

A very good mate (painter/dec) is subbing and getting $33 PH but once again it's as needed. Some weeks he's lucky to get a days work!

And the cost of rentals!!!!!
Is 33 a good rate or poor rate?
Old Aug 4th 2012, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

$33 is better than what's on the A board outside Manpower on Riccarton road. They are advertising for carpenters and builders at $30 an hour.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 2:49 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark Smith
$33 is better than what's on the A board outside Manpower on Riccarton road. They are advertising for carpenters and builders at $30 an hour.
Which as a subbie is crap. You'll be responsible for all your own out goings, ACC, Tax, travel, insurances etc, so once you deduct them it will be more like $17-22 and of course if you haven't got your own accommodation then you'll be paying for that as well and you might be told tomorrow, "nar mate, don't need you today"

So if you think $33 is good - then go for it