Reload this Page >

Considering NZ Emigration – have some questions

Considering NZ Emigration – have some questions

Old Jan 24th 2008, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

GlynG is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Considering NZ Emigration – have some questions

Hello everyone,

I’m considering a possible move to New Zealand a few years down the line (from the UK). My only parent died last year sadly and I don’t have any siblings or anything absolutely to hold me down here anymore. The idea of a better climate, a more beautiful and less over-crowded country and the general impression I have of the place sound appealing, though I’ve not had a chance to visit yet (obviously I would for a decent time before I came to decide).

Have some questions I was hoping you might be able to help with please:

I’m looking to go down the skilled migrant route, retraining myself into a better career (probably a good idea really whether I do end up going to NZ or not), aiming for one of the IT professions on the Long Term Skill Shortage list. What I want to know is will a post-graduate conversion masters in computing (one year full time) be acceptable to count (plus 3 years of relevant experience) even if my undergraduate degree is in an unrelated subject?

Also Cardiff University doesn’t seem to appear on the list of approved UK universities, why is this? We are a fairly big university and in the top 100 worldwide these days, so seems a little surprising we’re not on there. What impact would this have on my application though if, as I’m hoping, I were to study my masters there?

Thanks for any help / replies!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

jackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nice
Default Re: Considering NZ Emigration – have some questions

Hi Glyn
Is Cardiff also known as University of Wales I wonder?
I can't imagine that it would not be included.
Good luck in you quest for answers
Jackie
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:02 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

I'm moving this into the main forum for greater exposure . We have many IT bods on here who may be able to help with this.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:52 am
Just Joined

GlynG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jackietyfry View Post
Is Cardiff also known as University of Wales I wonder?
I can't imagine that it would not be included
Hadn't thought of that so have done some digging round. Apparantly "The University of Wales" is a kind of umbrella organisation / title which includes nearly all universities in Wales. Cardiff used to be a part of it but in 2004 it decided to drop out and rename itself from 'University of Wales, Cardiff' to just 'Cardiff University'. I've sent an email to the imigration website mentioning this, they may need to update their list at some point.

So, it might not strictly be on the list at the moment, but that's more because of a technicality and I'm not going to worry about it too much.

Originally Posted by BEVS here View Post
I'm moving this into the main forum for greater exposure . We have many IT bods on here who may be able to help with this.
Thanks for that!