British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Considering moving back to U.K. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/considering-moving-back-u-k-926377/)

Nadietjie Jul 11th 2019 7:24 pm

Considering moving back to U.K.

Hi,
Me, my husband and twins of 5 have been living in north Canterbury for nearly 4 years now but lately I'm contemplating moving back to England. My husband is a plumber and gas engineer but there seems to be a decline in work around that industry here. We're also having trouble with our neighbours re noise with their hot tub. The negatives seems to be stacking up to the point where I'm wondering why we're still here.
We have the opportunity to move up to the Northland with job opportunities etc which would mean selling up here and then uprooting and settling down there.
We have just recently come back from visiting family in the U.K. And although all the things that I dislike about the UK are still there for eg congestion, lots of rain etc I'm also thinking about how my children played with their cousins and the friendships and support we have there.
My husband is not on board with me here and would like us to gain citizenship before we even consider going back. Has anyone else gone through these conflicting emotions and what was the outcome? Any words of advice or support would be appreciated as I'm feeling pretty down by it all at the moment.
TIA

BEVS Jul 11th 2019 9:51 pm

Re: Considering moving back to U.K.

Originally Posted by Nadietjie (Post 12709415)
Hi,
Me, my husband and twins of 5 have been living in north Canterbury for nearly 4 years now but lately I'm contemplating moving back to England. My husband is a plumber and gas engineer but there seems to be a decline in work around that industry here. We're also having trouble with our neighbours re noise with their hot tub. The negatives seems to be stacking up to the point where I'm wondering why we're still here.
We have the opportunity to move up to the Northland with job opportunities etc which would mean selling up here and then uprooting and settling down there.
We have just recently come back from visiting family in the U.K. And although all the things that I dislike about the UK are still there for eg congestion, lots of rain etc I'm also thinking about how my children played with their cousins and the friendships and support we have there.
My husband is not on board with me here and would like us to gain citizenship before we even consider going back. Has anyone else gone through these conflicting emotions and what was the outcome? Any words of advice or support would be appreciated as I'm feeling pretty down by it all at the moment.
TIA

You need a great big hug. It is a rotten feeling all round. Many of us have been up and down like fiddlers elbows over the years.

Yes, yes and yes again. Please hang on for your NZ Citizenship for all of you. It is the best & most sensible thing you could do -------> Is Mr Husband playing for time ? :sneaky: Are you NZ Residents ?

We've heard on grapevines that there is a general downturn of trade work and construction in the Canterbury area. Would you consider a move from that area at all ?

I had a long running topic on here about our bad neighbours. They were hell. Issues with neighbours can be incredibly stressful and draining . Hot tubs do seem to cause issues between neighbours it seems and there are things that can be done to help hot tub noise if the thing cannot be moved.

My husband is a plumber and gasfitter too. We've been here now for 15 years. :ohmy:

Nadietjie Jul 12th 2019 3:11 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12709461)
You need a great big hug. It is a rotten feeling all round. Many of us have been up and down like fiddlers elbows over the years.

Yes, yes and yes again. Please hang on for your NZ Citizenship for all of you. It is the best & most sensible thing you could do -------> Is Mr Husband playing for time ? :sneaky: Are you NZ Residents ?

We've heard on grapevines that there is a general downturn of trade work and construction in the Canterbury area. Would you consider a move from that area at all ?

I had a long running topic on here about our bad neighbours. They were hell. Issues with neighbours can be incredibly stressful and draining . Hot tubs do seem to cause issues between neighbours it seems and there are things that can be done to help hot tub noise if the thing cannot be moved.

My husband is a plumber and gasfitter too. We've been here now for 15 years. :ohmy:

Thanks for the reply. Just what I needed to hear. We have permanent residency. You are right dealing with neighbours are stressful. We did say to them how noisy it is, not so much the hot tub but the pump to heat it. They run it probably 8 hours a day. Unfortunately he is not a nice person at all and pretty much told me to get lost, he can do what he likes and to get off his property. I would consider moving elsewhere as we're not too invested here. My kids are still at an age where they can transfer to another school pretty easily. Biggest thing will be to sell our house here but we had an estate agent round which said it shouldn't be too hard. Shocked at how much commission they ask though. The Northland appeals as we have a few contacts there and my understanding is construction etc is on the up. I guess I will just have to hang in there, just so hard when you're a little homesick and thinking of all the positives over in the UK.

Catchafire Jul 12th 2019 4:16 am

Sell the house yourself via Trademe. Its pretty straightforward.

Hubby should get a job in most places.

Would recommend Marlborough, great for kids, good schools, awesome weather, house prices are OK (but rising steadily) and having a construction boom.

carcajou Jul 12th 2019 4:24 am

It is very normal to have those feelings, and these situations of one partner wants to go and the other wants to stay come up frequently.

I would concur to stick it out and get your NZ Citizenship. Not only would it allow you to return if you leave, but it would also allow you access to Australia, which could be a third option and a "middle ground" for your husband worth investigating.

Ultimately you need to produce leverage and options for your situation. Four years is a long time and people's professional networks tend to dry up after being away for two years. You and your husband need to develop a well-researched and well-thought-out plan for what a return to the UK would look like and how you would implement that, and not just assume you will pick up where you left off and slot right back in.

Developing and researching a plan, and committing to a move, are not the same thing and your husband will need to understand that. Develop a UK plan; develop a Northland plan; develop a stay-in-Canterbury plan; and develop an Australia plan as a wild card. Then sit down and say A, B, C, D, which is best?

Nadietjie Jul 12th 2019 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Catchafire (Post 12709513)

Would recommend Marlborough, great for kids, good schools, awesome weather, house prices are OK (but rising steadily) and having a construction boom.

Thanks, it's good to hear positive Reply's and yup we will start having a look around and put a few plans together. Just feeling like we are doing something will help with this feeling of helplessness.

Justcol Jul 12th 2019 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Catchafire (Post 12709513)

Same can be said for Dunedin /Otago. Dunner's is very affordable compared to other places and like many SI towns is in the midst of a boom. Don't think we can compete with the lovely Marlborough weather though.

BEVS Jul 13th 2019 3:42 am

Originally Posted by Nadietjie (Post 12709718)

Thanks, it's good to hear positive Reply's and yup we will start having a look around and put a few plans together. Just feeling like we are doing something will help with this feeling of helplessness.

:nod: It will and it does.

NZ PR with his PGDB licenses should see your husband well placed for finding another job most anywhere in NZ . Up here in Nelson & Tasman several companies - Hays, Days, Tuffnalls and Tasman Bay are often looking for plumbers to start. Mind you it can be sunshine hours wages .

Shit neighbours are frankly shit. They cast a sour a pall on your life . Get far away & do that soon. If Northland is calling , what's to wait for.

Nadietjie Jul 14th 2019 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12709795)
:nod: It will and it does.

NZ PR with his PGDB licenses should see your husband well placed for finding another job most anywhere in NZ . Up here in Nelson & Tasman several companies - Hays, Days, Tuffnalls and Tasman Bay are often looking for plumbers to start. Mind you it can be sunshine hours wages .

Shit neighbours are frankly shit. They cast a sour a pall on your life . Get far away & do that soon. If Northland is calling , what's to wait for.

​​​​​​All

Absolutely right, now that we have decided its time to go it straight away feels a relief. Looking at all our options and actually feeling excited again. It's strange isn't, that you can do the big jump from UK to nz but then not be brave enough to move around here?! Thanks for all the replies, it gave me perspective when I had tunnel vision

BEVS Jul 14th 2019 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by Nadietjie (Post 12710426)
​​​​​​All

Absolutely right, now that we have decided its time to go it straight away feels a relief. Looking at all our options and actually feeling excited again. It's strange isn't, that you can do the big jump from UK to nz but then not be brave enough to move around here?! Thanks for all the replies, it gave me perspective when I had tunnel vision

It is what BE is for . :)

Yes. We do these huge leaps of faith and pick our whole lives up to plonk ourselves down in a land far far away & then it can seem just all too much to make a move to just another area.

Please do keep us updated with your plans . It is uplifting to read when something is changing for the better. Not just that, it can give others looking in a boost they might need to also make changes to their lives.

vetnurse1 Jul 16th 2019 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12710461)
It is what BE is for . :)

It is uplifting to read when something is changing for the better. Not just that, it can give others looking in a boost they might need to also make changes to their lives.

Wise words BEVS, that's exactly why I'm revisiting the forums. It is comforting to know that other people have felt the same as you, and even more inspiring to read people's solutions.