Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Considering a move to Nelson

Considering a move to Nelson

Old Sep 26th 2013, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

The harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really nice
Smile Considering a move to Nelson

Hi Folks, Just wanted to ask about good suburbs to live in Nelson. We've seen a property in Toi Toi and I've just been doing a little research and I hear that it's not so great, the property is on Vincent Street. Would really appreciate some feedback, good and bad. Thanks in advance
Old Sep 26th 2013, 9:38 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Considering a move to Nelson

Not a good area or street.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

The harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really nice

Could you expand on that please?
Old Sep 27th 2013, 7:15 am
`

I will try with Mr BEVS help.

Toi Toi Street and area is the bit that they don't put in the brochure about Nelson and Bays.

If you were coming into the country to live in this area it would possibly be bottom of your list unless you were placed there as a refugee whereby having a roof over your head is everything

It's a social housing area . It has a 'reputation'. People on their uppers find themselves there and with that comes all the usual social problems.

Makes us sound snobby but we're not. We both come from tough council estates & neither one of us would choose that , over all the other areas that are here.

Many of the other houses will probably be rentals for superannunation .

Send me the details via PM and I'll go check it out for you if you wish.

Bottom line. It is the one place we wouldn't recommend.

Have you been here at all?
Old Sep 27th 2013, 7:19 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Toi Toi has its reputation, even as far away as Marlborough. Gangs, drugs blah blah.....It's a very small area.

Why did you mention it? Housing cost perhaps?

There are plenty of alternative areas, Tahunanui, Atawhai etc....
Old Sep 27th 2013, 10:05 pm
`

You know, there are so many lovely areas here. I have looked back through your posts and church is a part of your lives. I really think that Toi Toi street is not for you.

Can one of you come down to Nelson and Bays at all. If you haven't ever been here , I'd be happy to give you an orientation tour.

Also happy to send up the local real estate papers for you to browse and then come back to us with your thoughts.

Would you be working at the hospital? If I knew where your work might be based it would help a bit.
Old Sep 28th 2013, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

I can confirm having met her that Bevs is not snobby but infact common as muck

No idea on the area tho, sorry

Neil
Old Sep 28th 2013, 5:12 am
`

Attachment 114040
Old Sep 28th 2013, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

carpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant future

Hello, we live in Nelson too

I think I am right in saying that a new road may be going through Victory/Toi Toi area - can't for the life of me remember which road it is...either the North or South link road...navigation ain't my strong point, that's for sure!

And Bevs is so right about there being lots of lovely areas around here. We rented for a while before purchasing.

Anyway, I've PM'd you and, like Bevs, am happy to help in any way I can.

Mrs Carpman
Old Sep 28th 2013, 10:12 pm
`

Originally Posted by carpman
I think I am right in saying that a new road may be going through Victory/Toi Toi area - can't for the life of me remember which road it is...either the North or South link road...navigation ain't my strong point, that's for sure!
I thought about that last evening. There is the ongoing battle about moving the R6 from Rocks Road beachfront to go through Victory and Toi Toi area.

You're right.