Confusion Reigns!

Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:17 am
Just Joined

BeBop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Confusion Reigns!

Hi

First ever post. Been reading the NZ and Moving Back to UK boards for a little while here.

Just a quick question - has anybody here emigrated, moved back to the UK and then emigrated back to the same country again??

BB
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:21 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Confusion Reigns!

Originally Posted by BeBop
Hi

First ever post. Been reading the NZ and Moving Back to UK boards for a little while here.

Just a quick question - has anybody here emigrated, moved back to the UK and then emigrated back to the same country again??

BB
Welcome, welcome, welcome ... I know of one but they are never on this site anymore, try PM'ing FamilyMaidment.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:28 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

BB
yes a couple of folks, cant remember exactly who but some have told of their stories - I met a bloke who runs a motel in Orewa who did the same and he now has a pretty successful business going! good lukck

BTW lots of Kiwis do the other way what with their OEs and all that!! So can't be too hard - are you wondering what to do????
Old Jul 19th 2007, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

Hi

BB
We will be in that club when we are back in NZ.

Lived in NZ for 2.5 years
Moved back to Europe/UK (2 years ago?)
Plan on going back to NZ next July or possible the one after.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lardyl
yes a couple of folks, cant remember exactly who but some have told of their stories - I met a bloke who runs a motel in Orewa who did the same and he now has a pretty successful business going! good lukck

BTW lots of Kiwis do the other way what with their OEs and all that!! So can't be too hard - are you wondering what to do????

Something like that!! Having seen NZ and all its good and bad points for 2 years, and been back in the UK for 2 years now, I am torn between the two. Not feeling very settled down back over here although it was me who wanted to up sticks and leave NZ in the first place, against my OH and kids wishes.

Got very nostalgic earlier today as my eldest is doing a project at school and we had to list some facts about NZ and look out some pictures - bought back some good memories.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by WheelsOfSteel
We will be in that club when we are back in NZ.

Lived in NZ for 2.5 years
Moved back to Europe/UK (2 years ago?)
Plan on going back to NZ next July or possible the one after.

Blimey Worse than me!!

Can I ask why all the moves??
Old Jul 19th 2007, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Blimey Worse than me!!

Can I ask why all the moves??
We always intended going back to NZ and made sure the transition would be as easy as possible when we did go back. For example, we made sure we all have indefinite return visa's and rented out our NZ house.

Money was the main driver for the move back to the UK. Quite like both the UK and NZ, but feel in the right financial position NZ is better for us.

I am a freelance Management Consultant specializing in Investment Banking and the opportunities are far greater for me to exploit that in the UK. What I can do in 2 years here...

Ultimately, it's a balance and the line needs to be drawn when enough has been achieved and it's time to make the 'lifestyle' choice... again. I estimate 2 years.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by WheelsOfSteel
We always intended going back to NZ and made sure the transition would be as easy as possible when we did go back. For example, we made sure we all have indefinite return visa's and rented out our NZ house.

Money was the main driver for the move back to the UK. Quite like both the UK and NZ, but feel in the right financial position NZ is better for us.

I am a freelance Management Consultant specializing in Investment Banking and the opportunities are far greater for me to exploit that in the UK. What I can do in 2 years here...

Ultimately, it's a balance and the line needs to be drawn when enough has been achieved and it's time to make the 'lifestyle' choice... again. I estimate 2 years.

Im kicking myself that we didnt retain our indefinite return visa's. Didnt buy a house whilst we were over there, and sold up before we left the UK the first time - have felt like a right hobo for the last 4 years!

Do you have children? Your way of living sounds great, but not sure how easy it could be done with kiddies in tow.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Do you have children? Your way of living sounds great, but not sure how easy it could be done with kiddies in tow.
2 children 3 & (about to be) 6. Younger one was born in NZ and has a NZ passport. As they are young it helps, but is an extra problem. Especially if they have a rabbit.

Yes, doing what we did on the visa and house front make the logistics far easier. I am quietly (or not so quietly now) impressed with my forward thinking ... not on the rabbit front though!

I also kept property in the UK while we were in NZ.

Last edited by WheelsOfSteel; Jul 19th 2007 at 3:28 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 7:19 pm
CockneyLass

dazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud of

yep, I did it.

I lived here in the late 80s for three and a half years which at the time was the longest 3 1/2 years of my life. At that stage I didnt want to be here and was only here because of my Kiwi OH. I was just filling time until he finished Uni so we could go back to London as the intention was never to live here anyway. Also, NZ and Auckland was a completely different place back then. We went back to London after my "time" and lived in London for 10 years. After a couple of holidays back here we both decided it was time to come back and give it another go. My OH had always wanted to anyway, it was his home after all so he was just waiting for me to come to that decision on my own which luckily I did.

Have now been back 5 1/2 years and have never ever regretted my decision to come back here. Love it here second time round.

Mind you dozy tart that I am, let my residency drop first time round and had to do the whole thing all over again!!!
Old Jul 20th 2007, 4:37 am
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

Hi

BB
Sort of A couple of years ago I went back to England for a month to look around and then came back to NZ. I recently decided to move back to the UK again, for work/career reasons. I work for myself and there are more opportunities in consultancy work in IT in London etc for me, and I am now embarking on a new career (journalist), so it makes sense to be in England.

flat mate did the same thing and has not regretted it - so he says...

Last edited by mingusdynasty; Jul 20th 2007 at 4:45 am.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 5:53 am
Account Closed

AnnieNell is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to the site.

I've done it & I'll keep it fairly brief. Emigrated to NZ in May 2005, OH came out first in Feb, whilst I stayed home to sell the house. I was okay for the first few days & then hated everything about NZ. I was having panic attacks & was covered head to knees in a rash plus I started to get very depressed. In short, after 11wks we headed back to the UK. OH loves it here & would've stayed.

After a few months back in Blighty we started to talk about returning. So Jan this year we returned to NZ. We have given ourselves 2 yrs to decide where we want to be. I have settled much better this time but there are things about England that I really miss & at this stage I'm not sure I want to live without them forever. I just take each day as it comes now & don't pressure myself to come up with a decision yet.

I don't know if that helps but you certainly wouldn't be the first to do it

Luv Annie x.