Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Confused about schooling?

Confused about schooling?

Old Jun 19th 2007, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Nisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant future
Default Confused about schooling?

I have questions but as yet no answers so thought i'd put it out there and see if you helpful lot can assist. You do it so well.

When does the academic year start in NZ? is it Feb

How do they work out what year your child goes into, and how does this relate to the year they are in the UK? (my daughter will be 6 in November)

At one school we went to they said year 1 and another school is saying year 2 (she is just about to finish year 1 in Uk)

Now you see why I'm confused it doesn't take much does it.

Nisey
Old Jun 19th 2007, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused about schooling?

Originally Posted by Nisey
I have questions but as yet no answers so thought i'd put it out there and see if you helpful lot can assist. You do it so well.

How do they work out what year your child goes into, and how does this relate to the year they are in the UK? (my daughter will be 6 in November)

At one school we went to they said year 1 and another school is saying year 2 (she is just about to finish year 1 in Uk)

Nisey
Look at this site for term dates

http://www.minedu.govt.nz/index.cfm?...1010#P185_6007

It is confusing my lad has friends a year older and a year younger in his year - he's year 9, first year at high school and he's 14 in August.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 9:50 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

By my reckoning she should be year 2 in February.

Kids start school in NZ on their 5th birthday.

My younger daughter is 8 ( August 1998) and is in year 4 at the mo.

HTH
Old Jun 19th 2007, 9:57 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
By my reckoning she should be year 2 in February.

Kids start school in NZ on their 5th birthday.

My younger daughter is 8 ( August 1998) and is in year 4 at the mo.

HTH
there is some flexibility as well as our son went into year 1 as opposed to reception when he started even though he was only just over 5 at the start of the school year. There are lots of feeder classes about in some schools where the kids are held as a group before being put into year1. Some schools are small enough to have mixed years - that was the same as our old school in the rural UK.
Also you dont have to send your kids to school until they are six and some parents keep their boys (particularly) at home as they may not be considered ready for school. Plus if you are rural sometimes the school days are dictated by the times the buses can get into the school so they dont all start at 0855 and finish at 1500. We found that local schools replied to general emails about enrollment quite promptly and thoroughly so feel free to email them - plus the principals will often show you around if you contact them before term starts. Good luck, LL
Old Jun 19th 2007, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Nisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant future

Do they start in Year 1 at age 5, or do they have a reception year like we do? Or is that their Kindy?
Old Jun 19th 2007, 10:12 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Do they start in Year 1 at age 5, or do they have a reception year like we do? Or is that their Kindy?
depends - our 5 yr old went into year 1 straight up but that was based on a term schooling and pre-school nursery in the UK - the school he attends is pretty large and could afford the places but seems to have a variable number of reception classes (sometimes one other times two) that act as feeders for year 1. We only found out it was to be yr 1 when he turned up on the first day of term!!
Old Jun 19th 2007, 12:07 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Nisey

If she's 6 in Nov, ie about to finish Reception year in the UK, she should be a Yr 2 entry in February.

(This is the equiv. then of going into Year 1 in the UK in Feb, since there's no reception year in NZ). This is going by Akl schools I've contacted and friends in school in NZ. Although it does seem to depend on the area too a bit, judging by some comments on this board. If memory serves me correctly I think the Whangarei ages/years were not the same as this? Phil01 will know.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Never mind confusing myself, I've confused everyone else by saying Ri is 6 in November she'll actually be 7 and coming to the end of year 1 in the Uk.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

So she should be entering Year 2 in October and then moving up to year 3 in February...............am I nearly there.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 5:52 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

So she should be entering Year 2 in October and then moving up to year 3 in February...............am I nearly there.
Yes, from what I understand. I have one either side of yours and have been told NZ year 2 and 4 entry in Feb.

Good luck.