Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Confused about this

Confused about this

Old Jan 3rd 2011, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Leinei is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Confused about this

I really want to go to NZ preferably in a year or two when I have saved some money but I'm aware the job I do isn't on the jobs shortages list (I have done an assessment test and they told me I was best to apply for WHV and look into finding an employer to sponsor me) but they didn't say if I could stay permanently in NZ just to find sponsorship. Would I be able to apply for permenancy if I found a company to sponsor me whilst I'm over there? As I work in customer service which isnt on the shortages list but I'm under 30 healthy and of good character and have over 5 years work experience. Any help and advice is appreciated thanks

Last edited by Leinei; Jan 3rd 2011 at 11:08 am. Reason: pressed return by accident
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

kenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Confused about this

I think you can apply for permanent residency as soon as you arrive if you are working, unless things have changed.

Originally Posted by Leinei
I really want to go to NZ preferably in a year or two when I have saved some money but I'm aware the job I do isn't on the jobs shortages list (I have done an assessment test and they told me I was best to apply for WHV and look into finding an employer to sponsor me) but they didn't say if I could stay permanently in NZ just to find sponsorship. Would I be able to apply for permenancy if I found a company to sponsor me whilst I'm over there? As I work in customer service which isnt on the shortages list but I'm under 30 healthy and of good character and have over 5 years work experience. Any help and advice is appreciated thanks
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 7:46 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

WHV will get you in, but not permanently. I don't know the details, but I think if you're from the UK you can stay up to two years?

You would be able to apply for PR when you are over here, having a job in NZ and having work experience in NZ all gets you points - however it might not be as easy to get sponsored as you think. If you're not on the skills shortage lists then the employer would still have to justify your employment to immigration for permanent employment. The WHV only covers temporary work.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 8:03 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Leinei
I really want to go to NZ preferably in a year or two when I have saved some money but I'm aware the job I do isn't on the jobs shortages list (I have done an assessment test and they told me I was best to apply for WHV and look into finding an employer to sponsor me) but they didn't say if I could stay permanently in NZ just to find sponsorship. Would I be able to apply for permanency if I found a company to sponsor me whilst I'm over there? As I work in customer service which isnt on the shortages list but I'm under 30 healthy and of good character and have over 5 years work experience. Any help and advice is appreciated thanks

A working holiday visa allows you to come visit New Zealand and do a small amount of work whilst here. So, as you are a young'un ( by my standards anyway ) that's a great way to go . I believe yu may be able to stay for up to 23 months . Click this LINK

You wouldn't find a company to sponsor you as such. Who told you that. That's not the New Zealand way at all. That's Australia.

If you wanted to remain in New Zealand working, then you would need to find yourself a job. Once you found that you would apply for a temporary work permit. You. Not the employer. If the job is not on the shortages list, then the NZ employer offering you the work would have to prove to New Zealand that there is no NZ resident or citizen that could do that job. If NZ Immigration think that is fine , they will give you a temporary work permit.

If the job you take up is on the skilled occupation list AND you have the qualifications to back that up, then you could apply for Residency under the Skilled Migrant category.

Please browse the actual New Zealand Immigration website.
It gives all sorts of information about all of the options.

Come back with any thoughts and we will try to unravel with you
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

Leinei is an unknown quantity at this point

I took a look at your link on NZ immigration and my line of work isn't covered on the jobs lists on there. My application wouldn't be strong enough to get me permanent residence whilst I was there unless I retrained in something else which would take years and cost me yet more money

Thank you all for your responses to my question I very much appreciate all your help