British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   The Concrete Cows are coming!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/concrete-cows-coming-640376/)

IHC Nov 12th 2009 6:58 pm

The Concrete Cows are coming!!!

Hello all

Curious... so decided to join the forum as we have never done this sort of communication. We`re on the road to moving out to Auckland and yet there seems to be alot of negativity around :( . Surely its not that bad!!.

Looking to reside in Remuera can anyone give advice on schools in this area??

IHC Nov 12th 2009 7:24 pm

Concrete Cows hit Auckland

Hi All

Curious and never done this type of communication before however you seem to be a churpy lot so decided to join in the fun and hopefully gain some good advice!!

We are a family of 4 from Milton Keynes ( 2 boys and a wife ) about to embark on a life in Auckland!! They say life begins at 40 so looking forward to the experience.

CindyGirl Nov 12th 2009 7:32 pm

Re: Concrete Cows hit Auckland

Hi there .just wanted to welcome you all on board .We moved to Auckland 16 months ago and are well settled and happy .Good luck with everything !

IHC Nov 12th 2009 7:37 pm

Hey now you have replied you I will be wanting loads of questions answering:thumbup:
Thanks for the support and great to hear someone positive about Nz!

MnB Nov 12th 2009 9:23 pm

Hi and welcome!:thumbsup: good luck with your new beginings!

Dewb09 Nov 13th 2009 6:26 am

Hi & welcome, never belonged to any online chat forum before either!
But glad I found this as you really get a great insight to how life is in NZ good & bad, which can only help you be more prepared.
Get those questions rolling in here is the place :thumbsup:

Dewb

Originally Posted by IHC (Post 8094569)
Hi All

Curious and never done this type of communication before however you seem to be a churpy lot so decided to join in the fun and hopefully gain some good advice!!

We are a family of 4 from Milton Keynes ( 2 boys and a wife ) about to embark on a life in Auckland!! They say life begins at 40 so looking forward to the experience.

Kija Nov 13th 2009 9:12 am

Re: The Concrete Cows are coming!!!

Welcome to BE :) fantastic forum with fantastic people. I'm not British but everyone has been very helpful and welcoming and you'll find loads of information here to help you :thumbup: Best of luck with your plans.

aalls73 Nov 13th 2009 9:26 am

Hi there just wanted to wish you luck, we moved over a year ago now from Northamptonshire and love it...Follow YOUR dreams no matter what you read on here if you want it to happen then it will.

Originally Posted by IHC (Post 8094569)
Hi All

willand tina_h Nov 13th 2009 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by aalls73 (Post 8096602)
Hi there just wanted to wish you luck, we moved over a year ago now from Northamptonshire and love it...Follow YOUR dreams no matter what you read on here if you want it to happen then it will.

Hi family of 4, we too are a family of 4, 2 sons who will be 16 in feb and 13 n jan, hoping to be out in north island, tauranga middle of jan, jusy waiting on my medical to get passed as bmi was too high :eek: next few weeks big waiting game. Welcome to be, same here 2, not used sites like this b4, but would never be without it now, so great and friendly.

Tina, Will, Josh and Harri. xx

IHC Nov 14th 2009 11:15 am

Hi Guys

Well your in the same position as us then. We are looking to locate to Remuera in Auckland as my work is based near to the airport.
Hoping to gain some good advice, all paperwork submitted and as you are awaiting permission to go!! BMI issue I suggest hitting the treadmill and eating porridge!!:eek:

IHC Nov 14th 2009 11:20 am

Originally Posted by aalls73 (Post 8096602)

thanks for the advice - Ps..I was born in Niorthampton in a village called Collingtree!!

Robbo25 Nov 16th 2009 8:34 am

We think Auckland is a stunning place, it has so much too offer in such a variety of ways, and the water is never far away.

We moved from Wootton in Northampton just over a year ago and I grew up and worked in MK which is where a lot of my friends and my Mum still lives.

Just PM me if you need to know anything.

Flatcap Dec 4th 2009 12:36 am

Hi IHC,

We arrived from North Yorkshire just over three weeks ago (although the OH worked in Concrete-Cow Land all week and couldn't wait to leave it and the roundabouts behind!)

I can fully understand what you're going through trying to find a school for your little-uns, I spent months and months researching them before we left.

There's a couple of very good Government websites you can try that are a great help:

http://www.schoolzones.co.nz/enrolmentzones/Search.aspx

This site will enable to you check which school's catchment areas cover your address, though you can still pull up a list of schools for each suburb you're considering, even if you don't have an address yet.

For each school you find, you can then check the Government ERO report for it (like our OFSTED) at:

http://www.ero.govt.nz/ero/publishin...Content/Search

If you're looking for independant schools, then these are easy to find at:
http://www.isnz.org.nz/

We plumped for using some of our house equity to pay for our daughter to go a Cambridge International School so she could continue into sixth form and sit her A-Levels as opposed to the NCEA exams. It's much cheaper than the UK ($18,000 for the year all in). Some of the better state schools also seem to charge fees, which I found totally confusing.

A couple of the Independant schools sit the International Bacculaureate (can't spell that!) too, if that's of interest.

Anyhow, good luck with your research - you'll have a very sore bottom by the time you've finished getting your head round it all, r:o
If you're moving to Rumemera (can't spell that either), you'll be fairly near us, so if I can help with anything else, just give me a shout.