computer advice

Old Jun 30th 2005, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default computer advice

how easy is it to set up UK computers in NZ - particularly with a view to internet access. are the phone points the same - would a dial up modem cable work, what about ISP - has anyone taken a UK one with them or is it easy to set up an account with an NZ one - any recommendations?
Old Jun 30th 2005, 8:06 pm
tickle my tadpoles

footloose is on a distinguished road
Default Re: computer advice

Good question.

I have not decided about taking my computer or not. If I sell it I will get very little. It is a few years old now, but still works and is ok for me. I dont really want to splash out on a new one if I can avoid it.
Old Jun 30th 2005, 8:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't know the details, but you could get a new modem for a couple quid when your out there, same with a power supply if that's an issue.

And get a local ISP, or find a free one, there's plenty out there...
Old Jun 30th 2005, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

extrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really nice

Originally Posted by footloose
Good question.

I have not decided about taking my computer or not. If I sell it I will get very little. It is a few years old now, but still works and is ok for me. I dont really want to splash out on a new one if I can avoid it.
You can bring your own computer and dial up modem no probs. All connectors are the same (except the mains plug, so you might need an adapter for some power supplies if you can't change the plug). Not too sure about broadband stuff. Broadband is very expensive here mainly due to the monthly limits on downloads, which can be as low as 700Mb a month. You can download that in about 1.5 days on a dialup!

It is pretty easy to set up with an ISP. If you have a phone and a credit card then you shoud be able to get going the same day. Dial up access is pretty cheap and the good thing is that local calls are free here so you only pay for the ISP access. Great for P2P. Unlimited dialup access with Telstra costs $17 a month for example. You can get it for about $10 from other companies but I have heard (from someone who worked with one of the bigger ones) their available bandwidth is pretty limited considering the number of customers they have.

I have stuck to Telecom and Telstra to give me chance at a decent download rate at peak times, but both have their problems as well. I left Telecom when they forced a change in privacy conditions onto everyone (basically you agree that everything you put through their ISP becomes theirs to do what they want with)
When I started with telstra I got three months bills at about $400 each, because they hadn't figured out I was on unlimited. It was really hard dealing with their customer service, in fact one guy was incredibly incompetent and rude. Not something you expect from these type of companies really.

If you are able to clip things together, and have your own software, I would always recommend to buy parts to make your own PC. The small suppliers are almost always owned by asians who work incredibly long hours for no money and since they are all competing, parts are pretty cheap. I have never had any probs taking back things that were faulty (a hard drive and the fan on a video card), they just exchange it there and then.

Here's a couple I use, if you want to check out prices vs UK
http://www.etccomputers.co.nz
http://www.lcqcomputers.co.nz
http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/
Old Jun 30th 2005, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

extrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
Wouldn't know the details, but you could get a new modem for a couple quid when your out there, same with a power supply if that's an issue.

And get a local ISP, or find a free one, there's plenty out there...
For a year or two, there was a couple of free ISP's here in NZ. Because the local calls are free, it really did seem like you got something for nothing. However, telecom won a battle to charge the free ISPs for each minute because local calls are for local people, no sorry, off on a tangent there (thinking of League of gentlemen, there are some similarities to NZ!). Telecom are obliged to provide local calls for free, but only for voice and so they were able to charge the free ISPs for data serices which killed them overnight.
Old Jun 30th 2005, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by extrameant
For a year or two, there was a couple of free ISP's here in NZ. Because the local calls are free, it really did seem like you got something for nothing. However, telecom won a battle to charge the free ISPs for each minute because local calls are for local people, no sorry, off on a tangent there (thinking of League of gentlemen, there are some similarities to NZ!). Telecom are obliged to provide local calls for free, but only for voice and so they were able to charge the free ISPs for data serices which killed them overnight.
With dialup at the moment you pay a fixed fee, varying between $10 and about $30 per month, which gives you unlimited time to surf the net. No charges for the time spent online.

Check out Xtra.co.nz.

Other ISPs i can think of are slingshot...there are more but i cant think of any..

Whoosh (of woosh, sp?) offers wirelss broad(ish)band, but i have heard varying stories on how good the connection and subsequent speeds are.

im pretty sure the modem will work, the only change with be the actual power point that goes into the wall.

New desktops here can be had for approx $1000 or just over
Old Jul 1st 2005, 11:17 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

My big plan to keep families happy was to use webcams, but without broadband is it still possible? Has anyone else tried this and do you sit up all night to see a fuzzy picture of someone waving.
Old Jul 1st 2005, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

When I got here with my laptop I got an internet access through an electronic shop called Dick Smith. I did not need a telephone number and used it in hotels ect. It was fine to get going. With the laptop I bought a UK to NZ adaptor plug!! The inbuilt modem was fine.

I use pretty fast broadband. Pay $97 a month to Telecom for broadband and telephone line rental (includes local calls). Pat Telstra about $50 as they are cheaper for the UK. The wife seems to be on the phone to her family all the time.

A friend used webcams and it was good I am told.
Roger
Old Jul 1st 2005, 11:40 am
Banned

kiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nice

I have broadband with Saturn (Telstra), the package I have includes phone, cable TV with the Sports package (necessary for watching the Lions get thrashed live), 10 gigs a month download on a 12Mbps connection. This lot costs me just over NZD100.00 per month. And I live in a small beach community... not a city.

One thing you will find here is a good telecomms infrastructure. We had EFTPOS in NZ 10 years before it appeared in the UK. Our banks clear transactions overnight, not over three working days (seven with some of the really crap UK banks). All this down to good networks.
Old Jul 1st 2005, 11:45 am
pompeymike

Originally Posted by P18PPS
My big plan to keep families happy was to use webcams, but without broadband is it still possible? Has anyone else tried this and do you sit up all night to see a fuzzy picture of someone waving.
Don't bother with webcams unless you've got broadband, in fact even with broadband the picture is still a bit jerky. We've got broadband and we find the best way to do it is to have the webcam running so that they can see you, but talk to them on the phone (which you can do if you've got broadband) that way you can have a normal conversation without a delay but still see pictures - albeit a bit jerky

Mike

Old Jul 1st 2005, 12:03 pm
Banned

kiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nice

Better yet, get Skype (www.skype.com). It's free to download, and to use.

It is 100% free of malware/spyware, and the quality is superb. I was chatting with the brother in law in France last night and you would swear he was in the same room. Also, it is duplex so you don't have to speak one-at-a-time.

Why don't a few of you get it and add me to your contact list - my username is kiwijetpilot. Then we can talk about NZ rather than typing. It is capable of five connections on a conference call, I think.

No video (as yet) but that is probably coming soon.
Old Jul 1st 2005, 12:32 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

I was told about Skype a while ago by someone living in Spain, but had the same concerns as yourself. From your post I assume you have no problems with it and would recommend it. Is it just a download then you are up and running or do you need to keep downloading updates?
Old Jul 1st 2005, 1:16 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwijetpilot
Better yet, get Skype (www.skype.com). It's free to download, and to use.

It is 100% free of malware/spyware, and the quality is superb. I was chatting with the brother in law in France last night and you would swear he was in the same room. Also, it is duplex so you don't have to speak one-at-a-time.

Why don't a few of you get it and add me to your contact list - my username is kiwijetpilot. Then we can talk about NZ rather than typing. It is capable of five connections on a conference call, I think.

No video (as yet) but that is probably coming soon.
I've just got it sorted (I think!) user name mike biddiscombe

I've also bought the parents and outlaws webcams and suggested they get Skyped up.
Old Jul 1st 2005, 1:36 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by P18PPS
I was told about Skype a while ago by someone living in Spain, but had the same concerns as yourself. From your post I assume you have no problems with it and would recommend it. Is it just a download then you are up and running or do you need to keep downloading updates?
No problems at all. I only just installed it so I guess there may be updates coming.

My biggest concern was spyware/trojans, but it appears that it is clean - some independent magazines have tested it and seem convinced.
Old Jul 1st 2005, 1:46 pm

Biddy

Do use webcam for pics and skyed for sound then? Not sure if I can do that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.