British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Complete Junk We Buy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/complete-junk-we-buy-923358/)

Charismatic Mar 19th 2019 9:55 am

Complete Junk We Buy

We purchased a Magic Bullet blender thing like from the telly. For three years we'd never used it but, despite repeated protestations from Miss Charismatic, I was bloody minded about not throwing it away having parted with my hard earned for this contraption. I hid it in that cupboard under the sink, right at the back where it was right out of sight. Other day I wanted to make banana milk, "perfect opportunity" I hear you thinking, this'll be the big payoff!

Well I plugged it in it didn't even bloody work. :blink:

Pom_Chch Mar 19th 2019 8:43 pm

Re: Complete Junk We Buy

Lol, same here with a yoghurt maker. Saw it in Mitre 10 for $10, used it once then decided it's much easier to just by it 😋

Reylan Mar 19th 2019 9:34 pm

Same with Moulinex Fresh Express - just moved house and there it was at the back of the cupboard - now it's at the back of the cupboard in the new house:banghead:

Pulaski Mar 19th 2019 10:13 pm

TV chef Alton Brown always warns against "unitaskers" - things that are only designed for a single function, and that is the acid test that we usually apply, that stops us from buying too many gadgets, especially for the kitchen.

I did buy a Dremel tool (like an over-sized dentists drill) a few years ago, and it was quite handy, usable for a number of intricate sanding, grinding, and polishing tasks, though not as to tough as I thought it was and I burned out the motor. :( I was recently given another as a gift, which I plan to use primarily to sharpen my chain saw.

BEVS Mar 20th 2019 2:43 am

MrBEVS enjoys bad stuff like popcorn. Ugh. So I thought what-ho I'll buy him a popcorn maker thingy.
Bit of fun over a relaxy few drinks and a film.
Bah! It is still sitting in its box. Why pop corn when you can buy pop corn.

Reylan Mar 20th 2019 4:47 am

Leave it in the box Bevs, mine went to a charity shop!

Bo-Jangles Mar 20th 2019 7:09 am

A rather expensive present to myself when we first moved to NZ was a juicer for all that lovely fresh fruit we were either expecting to grow or buy for pennies at the side of the road. LOL

The juicer was an absolute b@$t@rd to clean and made horrid foamy and warm juice - so it was quickly relegated to the back of the pantry and then into the garage where all dead appliances must go for a while before I can find an appropriate other use or part with them forever.

Charismatic Mar 20th 2019 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12656600)
TV chef Alton Brown always warns against "unitaskers" - things that are only designed for a single function, and that is the acid test that we usually apply, that stops us from buying too many gadgets, especially for the kitchen.

Well I can't go around using the same knife for doing my stabbing and hosting dinner parties can I?

escapedtonz Mar 20th 2019 9:38 am

Along similar lines and not really junk as it does get used, but the Mrs bought me a Nespresso coffee machine for like 400 bucks, and then you have to buy the capsules and have the glasses and the capsule holder and all the other crap. Very well used for the first couple months but yeah maybe twice a week now. Would much rather pay 5 buck for someone else to make me one :rofl:

Pom_Chch Mar 21st 2019 6:45 pm

Also a tagine is in there somewhere. Last time I saw it the lid was off (no idea where that is) and it's full of Tupperware lids. It's basically the same as using any ceramic dish with a lid which we realized after using once.

BEVS Mar 21st 2019 10:51 pm

My pals got themselves a salad spinner . It takes some arm power to make this work. One then removes said lettuce leaves and washes up this labour saving wotnot

My own way to rid salad leaves of excess water is to shake them over the sink and dab with a bit of kitchen roll. Sorted!

Dorothy Mar 22nd 2019 12:33 am

Originally Posted by escapedtonz (Post 12656744)
Along similar lines and not really junk as it does get used, but the Mrs bought me a Nespresso coffee machine for like 400 bucks, and then you have to buy the capsules and have the glasses and the capsule holder and all the other crap. Very well used for the first couple months but yeah maybe twice a week now. Would much rather pay 5 buck for someone else to make me one :rofl:

Same here. I bought a Nespresso machine but found the decent tasting capsules were really expensive and I could never get the milk to the right consistency. I found a great coffee shop on my way to work that makes delicious coffee for $3.50. The machine I bought went to my partner's work where the guys there can use it.

One of my favourite things is my Kitchen Aid mixer. I use it pretty much every day for something.

scrubbedexpat094 Mar 22nd 2019 12:36 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12657997)
My pals got themselves a salad spinner . It takes some arm power to make this work. One then removes said lettuce leaves and washes up this labour saving wotnot

My own way to rid salad leaves of excess water is to shake them over the sink and dab with a bit of kitchen roll. Sorted!

Now I love my salad spinner, I like to get it going at speed and then let go of it :rofl:
Sometimes I'm just sooooooo radical!!!!

scrubbedexpat094 Mar 22nd 2019 12:38 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 12658041)

One of my favourite things is my Kitchen Aid mixer. I use it pretty much every day for something.

I love my Kenwood Chef, I couldn't live without it.

Pom_Chch Mar 22nd 2019 4:53 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 12658044)
Now I love my salad spinner, I like to get it going at speed and then let go of it :rofl:
Sometimes I'm just sooooooo radical!!!!

This made me chuckle... Mostly because we do exactly the same 😁 Wind her up and watch her go! I did have an unfortunate spinning accident once though, wound her up a bit too much and she ended up arse over tit on the tiled floor in a state of disrepair 😬