Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Comparing income v expenditure for Nz and other countries - discussion.

Comparing income v expenditure for Nz and other countries - discussion.

Old Sep 19th 2012, 10:42 pm

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Comparing income v expenditure for Nz and other countries - discussion.

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
On the whole I agree with you love30stm, 100,000 people have done exactly that over the last two years.
This is the thing. Always slanting your opinions for the worst possible effect. Roughly the same number of migrants have entered NZ as have left in that time. There is not some sort of net mass exodus of people.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comparing income v expenditure for Nz and other countries - discussion.

Originally Posted by waikatoguy
I believe you've got some sort of agenda to your presence here. Why would someone living in Australia (presumably living a happy life) be so interested in posting such continually negative stuff about NZ on a British Expat forum?
Still no response on this question ... ?
Old Sep 19th 2012, 10:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
A poster isn't required to answer a question just because others want them to.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 10:49 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Comment made from Pom-Chch to Assanah
Originally Posted by Pom-Chch
So starting a thread trying to "prove" that NZ is terrible expenditure wise just doesn't stack up I'm afraid.
This is not correct. Please see below

Originally Posted by Assanah
I haven't started this thread. It was taken out of another thread by Bevs
Yis! If people have bothered to read the whole thread , they will see THIS POST by way of explanation.

Originally Posted by Assanah
(All Bevs fault....
Yis !

yes, I know, I shouldn't have posted my post in the other thread, so all my fault
No worries. The grocery list was the grocery list. It would have been all clogged up with this load of
Spoiler:
Old Sep 19th 2012, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
A poster isn't required to answer a question just because others want them to.
Perhaps not.

Perhaps the answer is still being considered.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 11:05 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Simonsi was agreeing with you Love30. Not having a pop.
Indeed - you are still here...
Old Sep 19th 2012, 11:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes we did research before we came over but frankly, one can do all the research in the world, feel fully prepared for the move & still have reality bite them.

I didn't consider myself a particularly materialistic person when I lived in the UK. I've never felt the need to keep up with the Jones's nor have the latest gadget etc. The OH is just the same, however living here on a NZ wage & not being able to do some of the things one took for granted in the UK does make life unsatisfactory at times.

We didn't come here to get rich but we certainly didn't come here to be poor either. Now due to the OH being in a reasonably well-paid job we are able to keep our heads above water. We are a lot luckier than others here as we have managed a holiday every year so far but I worry far more about our financial situation in NZ than I ever did in the UK. If I wanted to buy something in the UK, I bought it (not huge items, just food, clothes, things for the house etc.), here I have to make a choice. At our age (late 40's) I find that very difficult & not were I expected to be at this stage in our lives.

OH works long hours, has fewer days holidays - not quite the better lifestyle people envisage when they are planning to emigrate.

Having said that, OH loves living here. I like it for 9 months of the year - I hate NZ in Winter. Yes, we have lots of positives here which would make it difficult for us to leave. Sometimes I want to have a good, old moan about NZ with other like-minded people, it makes me feel that I'm not alone. It doesn't mean that I feel like that about NZ the whole time, purely that I'm going through a difficult time.

We all come to this forum from various backgrounds & with different life experiences which shapes our view of our world. Hence, this will be reflected in the way each of us posts. It doesn't make some posts more valid than others.

BTW: Lots of excellent theatre shows happening in the Auckland region. "Me & My Girl" coming soon to Centrestage Theatre, Orewa
Old Sep 19th 2012, 11:17 pm
`

Originally Posted by simonsi
Indeed - you are still here...
I am
Old Sep 19th 2012, 11:40 pm

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
Well, I received one privately. Apparently, I'm supposed to be someone called Jim???
Old Sep 19th 2012, 11:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by waikatoguy
Well, I received one privately. Apparently, I'm supposed to be someone called Jim???
Nothing wrong with the name Jim. It could have been so much worse.

Dwayne for example
Old Sep 20th 2012, 5:03 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BEVS
Simonsi was agreeing with you Love30. Not having a pop.
Im confused ?? but them again im always confused

Im talking about someone on here whos always negative about eveyrthing and its beggining to get on my TITS!!! she must be a ray of sunshine

ignores my post too? oh wait im probably on ignore
Old Sep 20th 2012, 7:19 am
`

Originally Posted by love30stm
Im confused ?? but them again im always confused
Oh. Right.

You wrote this to Simonsi

Originally Posted by love30stm
I don't continuously moan about NZ I actually make the most of it, i moan about WANGAS not NZ get your facts right.
This says you are writing to Simonsi. No?

[QUOTE=love30stm]I'm talking about someone on here whos always negative about eveyrthing and its beggining to get on my TITS!!! she must be a ray of sunshine. ignores my post too? oh wait im probably on ignore [QUOTE]

To be very, very clear here and this is to everyone not just to you Love30, much as I love you here on BE for your quirky nature .
Intone and incantation moment here in a soothing green colour.

We are all entitled to post our views and opinions and we have all availed ourselves of this in our time, whether oldsters or newbies, have we not.

What won't be happening is targeting , thrashing out, side-swiping or nasty anything else on the open forum as has been happening of late whilst I have been otherwise engaged in real life horribleness . Either live with it or ignore it. I have to , all the time.

Groans............................................ .....

BritishExpats.com is an interactive site, and everyone who participates is "in it together", please treat others the way you wish to be treated. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully ... without insult or personal attack.

Think of the place as a pub. Don't piss off your neighbour or you'll get more than a pint of dregs in your face. Engage the person next to you in good chat and you might make a friend even though you be poles apart in life.

It's not that hard.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 7:45 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=BEVS;10290320]Oh. Right.

You wrote this to Simonsi

This says you are writing to Simonsi. No?

[QUOTE=love30stm]I'm talking about someone on here whos always negative about eveyrthing and its beggining to get on my TITS!!! she must be a ray of sunshine. ignores my post too? oh wait im probably on ignore

To be very, very clear here and this is to everyone not just to you Love30, much as I love you here on BE for your quirky nature .
Intone and incantation moment here in a soothing green colour.

We are all entitled to post our views and opinions and we have all availed ourselves of this in our time, whether oldsters or newbies, have we not.

What won't be happening is targeting , thrashing out, side-swiping or nasty anything else on the open forum as has been happening of late whilst I have been otherwise engaged in real life horribleness . Either live with it or ignore it. I have to , all the time.

Groans............................................ .....

Think of the place as a pub. Don't piss off your neighbour or you'll get more than a pint of dregs in your face. Engage the person next to you in good chat and you might make a friend even though you be poles apart in life.

It's not that hard.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
OH works long hours, has fewer days holidays - not quite the better lifestyle people envisage when they are planning to emigrate.
This is a point EVERYONE raises with me.

Surely it depends on what one construes as a better lifestyle.

As it stands, I leave home at 8am and rarely return before 7pm, but then I don't really judge my life style on the fact that a work day consists of being out of the house for 11 hours.

What I'm in to for my leisure (Sport and cycling) is what makes a difference to my lifestyle, and this will be superior in New Zealand that it is in London.

Obviously money is a factor to lifestyle as well, but that'll be managed.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 8:59 am
Just Joined

mbar19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wowzers wish I didn't reignite the thread now! For the record to whoever commented on my post first, I have received my first paycheck, I've budgeted to save money a small amount away each month, which, when my annual leave builds up, will allow me to travel the length and breadth of the entire country on a relatively fat and healthy shoestring, in 2 or 3 big trips over 18-24 months.

I've jumped straight in with the culture at work, spend all my time outdoors, always walk around wearing shorts when I'm not at work, and generally live well within my means.

Life is good, better than is has been since I last left the UK to travel other areas of the world.

Things are different for everyone, everyone is different in their needs, wants and generally how their brains work and react. I thrive on a challenge. Drop me in the middle of any country with just a passport and a cash card, and I'll make the most of every minute (which I've already done in the developing world - twice). Never really bitched and moaned about the UK, just wanted a change, a challenge.

Totally open to everyone being different and reacting differently, just don't assume that your opinion, based on your own individual experiences, are factual. Kind've goes for both the people trying hard to write off New Zealand, and those assuming it will be a great move. All your comments are still interesting reads as it shows what its like for certain types of people, and what its like for others. Helps prospective posters with a few brain cells to weigh up what New Zealand might have to offer, rather than just reading Government issued favourables or equally NZ emmigrants or ex-expats with a more bitter viewpoint. The more posts the better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.