Reload this Page >

Company transfer from UK to Wellington

Company transfer from UK to Wellington

Old Aug 1st 2012, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

Kalozo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Company transfer from UK to Wellington

Hi,

I work for a New Zealand company based in the UK in a senior management role. It looks like the UK division will fold and the chairman of the company has offered me the opportunity to move to Wellington to take the equivalent role there.

My wife and I have both lived abroad before (California) and my wife is German so is also living abroad in the UK. So we have experience of the expat lifestyle and associated challenges. We have a daughter who is almost a year old.

I have a number of initial questions which I am hoping the forum might be able to help out with:

1. How do you translate the UK package into a NZ equivalent to make sure that we have at least the same quality of life?
2. How long does the visa application take if sponsored by a company? What type of visa would this be? Can you swap jobs on this visa?
3. My wife is a paediatric nurse. How easy would it be for her to get a visa to enable her to work? How easy would it be to get a paediatric nurse role in Wellington?

Thanks in advance for your help and I am sure we will have plenty more questions as we work whether we decide to take the opportunity to move to NZ.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Company transfer from UK to Wellington

Originally Posted by Kalozo View Post
Hi,

I work for a New Zealand company based in the UK in a senior management role. It looks like the UK division will fold and the chairman of the company has offered me the opportunity to move to Wellington to take the equivalent role there.

My wife and I have both lived abroad before (California) and my wife is German so is also living abroad in the UK. So we have experience of the expat lifestyle and associated challenges. We have a daughter who is almost a year old.

I have a number of initial questions which I am hoping the forum might be able to help out with:

1. How do you translate the UK package into a NZ equivalent to make sure that we have at least the same quality of life?
2. How long does the visa application take if sponsored by a company? What type of visa would this be? Can you swap jobs on this visa?
3. My wife is a paediatric nurse. How easy would it be for her to get a visa to enable her to work? How easy would it be to get a paediatric nurse role in Wellington?

Thanks in advance for your help and I am sure we will have plenty more questions as we work whether we decide to take the opportunity to move to NZ.
Hey there welcome to the forum... for my pennies worth i would say...

Don't think you can can be too many variables for different people. We gave two incomes in the UK and live of just 1 in NZ and probably have a better standard of living than in the UK, yet earn less. Found you have different priorites over here and what matters in the UK doesn't matter here.

Shouldn't take too long at all, even quicker if they are an accredited employer with NZ Immigration. My job is with an accredited employer and was invited to get a Work Visa first which took just a few weeks, then was able to apply for full residency under the skilled migrant scheme... If you swap jobs before full residency is confirmed, i think you'll find you'll need to start the process again with your new employer, but don't quote me on that.

I would have though pretty easy for both looking at other threads in this forum.

regards

Simon
Old Aug 1st 2012, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

RachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to all

Look on Tonix for paed nurse jobs, they'revreally helpful x
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

ragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud of

Hi your wife will to register with the NZ nursing council and will need to pass the IELTS exam academic level gaining 7 or above in each category before she can apply for registration. You can more info on the NZ nursing council website.

http://www.nursingcouncil.org.nz/ind...g-Certificates
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, I am also an RN working in Wellington. I got in touch directly with the DHB, check out seek & trade me jobs as well as CCDHB website. She could also try Plunket, they are sort of the equivalent of the health visiting services in UK. Just shout if I can be of any help
Old Aug 5th 2012, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

Kalozo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your help so far. I called in at NZ House in London and think we have got the visa situation confirmed – the company will support a Work to Residence Visa and my wife can get a partner visa so she would be able to work.

It looks like the company will pretty much convert my UK salary into $NZ so we should be quite comfortable. Where should we look for rentals with good access to the CBD and the hospital? Ideally we would like to be near the water but sheltered.

Having read the forums, we are a bit concerned about the cold houses and poor condition of rental properties. Is it as bad as the forums suggest?

Also, does NZ have the concept of a “bank” for nurses as this could be an option for my wife rather than getting a permanent position.

Thanks,
Chris
Old Aug 7th 2012, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Shazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really nice

Tell your wife to check out Hutt valley DHB or CCDHB for jobs, at HVDHB they have a casual nurse "bank" im sure they do with CCDHB aswell. She will have no trouble finding a job.

Thanks for all your help so far. I called in at NZ House in London and think we have got the visa situation confirmed – the company will support a Work to Residence Visa and my wife can get a partner visa so she would be able to work.

It looks like the company will pretty much convert my UK salary into $NZ so we should be quite comfortable. Where should we look for rentals with good access to the CBD and the hospital? Ideally we would like to be near the water but sheltered.

Having read the forums, we are a bit concerned about the cold houses and poor condition of rental properties. Is it as bad as the forums suggest?

Also, does NZ have the concept of a “bank” for nurses as this could be an option for my wife rather than getting a permanent position.

Thanks,
Chris
Old Sep 27th 2012, 8:08 am
Just Joined

Warrington1978 is an unknown quantity at this point

We went down a similar road a couple of years ago so can relate to what you're doing. It was really very straight forward in the end:

-Accepted the job offer and applied for work to residence visa. Because it's an accredited employer I think it went to the top of the pile because it only took a few days to turn around. Wife got a partner visa and is free to work wherever she wants, whereas I am restricted to my current employer.

-Spoke to some estate agents and picked a house to rent; this was quite straight forward and once bonds had been paid and references from NZ were sorted the place was waiting for us on arrival.

-Arrived in NZ in late october on a gloriously sunny morning and we fell in love with the place and have never looked back.

-After 2 years on the work to residence visa we are now eligible for perm residence, which we will apply for when the UK police checks come through.

Regarding your other questions about cold houses and so on, there are easy ways to deal with this and plenty of options. The NZ lifestyle is the thing that really makes the difference whatever time of year it is and (hopefully) makes up for any minor annoyances.

Best of luck - hope you make the right decision and it works out for you.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,
Chris

I think you should check out the differences between a Work-to-Residence visa and a Permanent Residence visa before committing yourself and find out why they will sponsor one and not the other.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

1. It looks like the company will pretty much convert my UK salary into $NZ so we should be quite comfortable.

2. Where should we look for rentals with good access to the CBD and the hospital? Ideally we would like to be near the water but sheltered.

Chris
1. Hope you mean conversion at current exchange rate? If so still evaluate the impact of being taxed on every dollar in NZ (no tax free allowance).

2. It is very important to avoid a dull 'damp' house in Wellington. You need 'full sun' but this means you will also get wind. Being sheltered is not what you want since it will mean dull dark and damp even with heating. Avoid houses set into hillside (fine if on top though) surrounded by vegetation.
Lots of suburbs have great water/harbour views but the water would be a walk away.
Khandallah and Seatoun Heights are two which give you the height and the views. Both expensive. Wellington Hospital is in Newtown but it wouldn't take very long to drive there from Khandallah, CBD would be en route. If you work in the Hutt Valley then Khandallah is on the correct side of Wellington for that.
Other good view suburbs are Hataitai and Brooklyn (beware damp though depending on the house). Oriental Bay and Roseneath also good for views but top end price-wise. Look on Trade-Me for available rentals.

Good luck.
PS Island Bay is same side of town as hospital and has flat areas and high ones.

Last edited by luvwelly; Sep 30th 2012 at 6:17 pm.