Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Commuting times from the suburbs of Wellington.

Commuting times from the suburbs of Wellington.

Old Feb 1st 2008, 2:21 pm
The Wicked One

spid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud of
Wink Commuting times from the suburbs of Wellington.

HI there (again - sorry),

I was wondering what the different communting times (via anything available - car, train, bus) from the different suburbs was into Central Welly (where hubby should be working and possibly the kids for schooling if we can wheddle a good rate out of the private schools or persuade the good schools to take us from out of area!). ANy one got a clue?
Old Feb 1st 2008, 6:06 pm
The Wicked One

spid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud of
Default Re: Commuting times from the suburbs of Wellington.

okay - i obviously need to be more specific

time from lower hutt? upper hutt? kapiti? whitby? johnsonville? tawa?

please
Old Feb 1st 2008, 6:46 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

The Metlink website has a really good journey planner you can use.

http://www.metlink.org.nz/JourneyPlanner.jsp

It takes me about 30 minutes to get from my house in Tawa to work - on the train including the walk at each end.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

I live in whitby and I leave home at 07.20am and I am at my desk in the CBD by 08.15am, after a bus and train ride and walk.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

SidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really niceSidNZ is just really nice

Upper Hutt a suburb of Wellington - I think not!!!

From where I live in Upper Hutt it takes around 45 minutes to drive into to Wellington in the rush hour.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 7:55 pm
The Wicked One

Originally Posted by SidNZ
Upper Hutt a suburb of Wellington - I think not!!!

From where I live in Upper Hutt it takes around 45 minutes to drive into to Wellington in the rush hour.
yeah - sorry - suburb wasn't the right word but i had a brain freeze - something to do with the subzero temperatures outside.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 8:06 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Aotea near Porirua. Leave house at 7.35, on 7.46 fast train to town, get in just after 8. Walk to office on Boulcott, have tea in hand and am checking e-mail by 8.20.

Employer is building new offices right next to the train station so in 18 months' time my commute will be even shorter.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:39 pm
The Wicked One

Originally Posted by Maz
I live in Aotea near Porirua. Leave house at 7.35, on 7.46 fast train to town, get in just after 8. Walk to office on Boulcott, have tea in hand and am checking e-mail by 8.20.

Employer is building new offices right next to the train station so in 18 months' time my commute will be even shorter.
HI Maz,

Whatcha do? Looking like Porirua way, Aotea, Whitby etc are the best bet. DOn't want hubby and kids to have too long a commute and if i get a job that way i don't wnat to long a commute either. Which school is your laddy in?
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

There's loads of good school in the area depending on exactly where you live;

Papakowhai School, Paremata School, Adventure School & Discovery School both Whitby and Plimmerton School just down the road. Loads of the porirua possee kids are in Papakowhai, but thats more to do with walking distance and catchment areas than anything else. Our son is in Adventure School and that is brilliant. They really are all good, no one school to stands out from the rest. You've just got to decide where you want to live then examine schools for convieniace of getting too amongst visitng them and speaking to the principles.