British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Commuting from the Kapiti Coast (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/commuting-kapiti-coast-775883/)

DennisBergkamp Oct 27th 2012 7:24 am

Commuting from the Kapiti Coast

Hi.

I live in Welly city at the moment, but I like the look of the Kapiti Coast.
It's the only decent place I could afford a house if I ever wanted to buy one.

I know you can catch a train from Paraparaumu, but not from Raumati.

Does anyone drive in from Kapiti? If so how long does it take and what time do you have to set off to get to work by 830 odd?

Cheers

DennisBergkamp Oct 27th 2012 7:44 am

Re: Commuting from the Kapiti Coast

The areas I would probably live in are Paraparaumu or Raumati

But from raumati you'll need to drive to the station or drive in I guess. Turning onto highway 1 at rush our from Raumati looks like no fun.

I wouldn't mind driving as I work near the Westpac stadium so I could park there

MrsFychan Oct 27th 2012 8:18 am

we live in Pukerua Bay, so a little nearer to Wellington but my OH's lift comes through from Raumati Beach and it takes her about 15mins to get to us then another 35mins from here to Wellington, obviously this is in the rush hour.
Moso's lives in Waikanae and her husband trains it into Wellington and it takes him an hour.

mark3166 Oct 28th 2012 12:28 am

Raumati is like 5 -10 mins from paraparaumu station depending on which part you would be living, quick easy drive to station

babybella Oct 28th 2012 1:42 am

Originally Posted by mark3166 (Post 10353363)
Raumati is like 5 -10 mins from paraparaumu station depending on which part you would be living, quick easy drive to station

We live in Paraparaumu Beach and that is still a 5-10 min drive from the station. So the fact that Raumati doesn't have a station really doesnt matter, it is on a good bus route that drops you at the station. My hubby catches the bus from the end of our road and the train into Welly n back every day. In his words it sure beats his hour and a half on the M1 everyday. We have just bought in Paraparaumu Beach but I wish I had looked more closely at Raumati Beach (ssch don't tell him I said that).
Kaz;)

MOSO Oct 28th 2012 2:50 am

There is a direct bus (Kapiti commuter) that is run by mana coach services which runs from Waikanae, via Paraparaumu and Raumati (chocolate factory) to Wellington. It leaves around 6am. My husband used to catch it from Waikanae before the train started.

As Babybella says most of the housing around Raumati/Paraparaumu you'd have to drive to the station first. There is alot more housing around Waikanae station.

People do drive down but you'd have to bear in mind the cost vs the train. A return ticket with a monthly season is under $15 per day from Waikanae, which I reckon is much cheaper than petrol + parking costs.

DennisBergkamp Oct 28th 2012 4:01 am

Thanks for the replies

I wouldnt mind driving to Paraparaumu Station from Raumati, but there doesnt seem to be many parking spots there. They would probably be all taken by 730am. Unless there are spots on the side streets which are free to use.

If there is a regular bus to the Train station that seems workable - but having had a look at the bus routes it seems to go from Raumati, along the coast to Paraparaumu and then all they way down Kapiti Road.

That seems like a long bus route especially at rush hour.

But catching the train would be the preference.
Had a drive to Plimmerton today. Seems very nice, but probably to expensive for me!

In rush hour, how long would it take to Welly from Rauamti, say if i left at 645am? about an hour and 20? I would be driving in with my partner so the cost vs the train is pretty close.

Cheers

Dennis

babybella Oct 29th 2012 7:40 am

I have parked later in the day at the station and always found a park. Just asked hubby and he reckons about 1.15 hour drive in rush hour.
Raumati Beach has a nice little village feel to it and a lovely primary school.
Kaz

skybluestu Oct 29th 2012 8:04 am

Hi Dennis
I drive from Paraparaumu Beach to Thordon key behind the westpack, we usually try to set off at 7.00 and usually get two or three hold ups on the way in or where the traffic really slows. Most days I drop the wife off at around 7.50 sometimes it can be as late as 8.10 if the traffic is really Bad. You will find driving to the station and getting the train and then to work will take you longer.
You just have to chill and expect the usual hold ups in the same places every day. We have been doing it for 8 months now and find it OK but worth it to live out at Param.

DennisBergkamp Oct 29th 2012 8:39 am

Originally Posted by skybluestu (Post 10355002)
Hi Dennis
I drive from Paraparaumu Beach to Thordon key behind the westpack, we usually try to set off at 7.00 and usually get two or three hold ups on the way in or where the traffic really slows. Most days I drop the wife off at around 7.50 sometimes it can be as late as 8.10 if the traffic is really Bad. You will find driving to the station and getting the train and then to work will take you longer.
You just have to chill and expect the usual hold ups in the same places every day. We have been doing it for 8 months now and find it OK but worth it to live out at Param.

Nice one - that nice to know you dont have to leave at 630am or something as crazy as that!

I expect the usual delays would be:

Pukerua Bay
Mana
Traffic Lights near Porirua/Papakowhai
Tawa
then all the way in from the Gorge!

Parking at the Westpac is $45 a week
and petrol for me would be about $95 a week
so 280 each for me and my partner which is similar to the train.

Just depends how far i live from the station if i manage to move out to Kapiti

Mrs Pointer Nov 2nd 2012 7:39 am

I drive and train it from Whitby (paremata) ..driving takes 50 mins so does the train, but its quicker driving home as i leave at 6.

Sometimes it's a clear run in (specially during hols). Cheaper to train it though if you factor in parking, plus I get the 15 min walk to the office if I train it.