Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

commuting browns bay to akl cbd?!

commuting browns bay to akl cbd?!

Old Jun 25th 2008, 11:21 am
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point
Default commuting browns bay to akl cbd?!

hell on earth or do-able?

don't really want to end up in auckland, but for jobs in first instance it seems a sensible start... our friends are in browns bay, so that seems a sensible start too?!

what do you reckon? do-able by car or public transport or avoid at all costs?

couldn't decide if this was off-topic enough for the sheep-dip or not?!

any advice/ comments appreciated as ever!

cheers!

Last edited by Stoof; Jun 25th 2008 at 11:22 am. Reason: forgot to say thank you!!
Old Jun 25th 2008, 11:42 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: commuting browns bay to akl cbd?!

Hi, it all really depends on (i) when you need to get there and when you can leave the city and (ii) how far away from the termini is the workplace - please enlighten us.....

IMHO, the new bus lane makes public transport more of an option if you can connect to it in the CBD and get where you need to be.

There are no trains out to the shore and the traffic can be a killer, by NZ standards anyway.

In the spirit of the site (what with many of us blowing our own town's trumpet when invited/uninvited) I have to say "why Brown's Bay?" - why not move a bit further out towards Orewa, get cheaper property, avoid the crush and overlooked property on the Shore, and be not much further away - with pretty easy access to the Park and Rides.........
Old Jun 25th 2008, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Do-able I'd say, you could drive into the Constellation Drive park and ride and from there it's about 20-25 min into the CBD. The problem arises if you need to get to the other side of the CBD. I'd also agree with Lardyl re BB vs Hibiscus Coast - not many points in BB's favour over Hibiscus Coast but I am biased
Old Jun 25th 2008, 8:54 pm
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point

excellent! just what i was hoping for, thank you!

Originally Posted by lardyl
Hi, it all really depends on (i) when you need to get there and when you can leave the city and (ii) how far away from the termini is the workplace - please enlighten us.....

In the spirit of the site (what with many of us blowing our own town's trumpet when invited/uninvited) I have to say "why Brown's Bay?" - why not move a bit further out towards Orewa, get cheaper property, avoid the crush and overlooked property on the Shore, and be not much further away - with pretty easy access to the Park and Rides.........
OH (our principle app) works on tv stuff... on our last visit couple of years ago, he went to see tvnz etc and they/sky etc seem to be pretty much cbd basedbrowns bay is just cos our mates are there (we have other friends in ponsonby, but that's WAY OUT of our league!)

another consideration is my work - qualified in youth work, community work and housing.... so guess if we do end up in akl, then there's more jobs in my field(s) in south akl... but OH's job's the important one this time, so hence my query!

'course, we might end up somewhere other than akl, but it seems most likely!!

thanks everso for all thoughts/comments/suggestions! the more the merrier!

Last edited by Stoof; Jun 25th 2008 at 8:56 pm. Reason: trying to make more sense!
Old Jun 25th 2008, 9:18 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
Do-able I'd say, you could drive into the Constellation Drive park and ride and from there it's about 20-25 min into the CBD. The problem arises if you need to get to the other side of the CBD. I'd also agree with Lardyl re BB vs Hibiscus Coast - not many points in BB's favour over Hibiscus Coast but I am biased
amen, we used the free bus service for the rugby the other Saturday and it was a breeze from Constellation Drive.

Only problem with that is the car park fills up too quickly - at least they tell you on the local traffic news when its full though!

BTW, what I can't believe is the front page news given a few weeks ago to a crack down on the drivers who were trying to park around that station, rather than punishing people who are trying to do the right thing the powers that be should be building a better car park!!!!! :curse::curse: