Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Commute Whangarei to Auckland Uni

Commute Whangarei to Auckland Uni

Old Jun 17th 2009, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Commute Whangarei to Auckland Uni

Hi

Can anyone give me an idea of what the commute would be like from the Whangarei area to the Uni in Auckland. Is it viable once a week?
Is there a train...don't laugh, I don't know

Maria
Old Jun 17th 2009, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Commute Whangarei to Auckland Uni

Don't know how long it would take...depends what time you would be leaving Whangerei...can tell you that there is no train
Old Jun 17th 2009, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

There is no train service so unless you fly then taxi/bus which as student i very much doubt you'll be doing its the car.

I regularly do business in Whangarei and you will need to allow 2 hours for the drive to Auckland Uni on most days. If you plan to do the trip and arrive at rush hour you can add an hour to that time for the harbour bridge and general Auckland rush hour(s) traffic chaos.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

There are bus services
http://nakedbus.com/bus-timetables/
Old Jun 17th 2009, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teambwr47
There is no train service so unless you fly then taxi/bus which as student i very much doubt you'll be doing its the car.

I regularly do business in Whangarei and you will need to allow 2 hours for the drive to Auckland Uni on most days. If you plan to do the trip and arrive at rush hour you can add an hour to that time for the harbour bridge and general Auckland rush hour(s) traffic chaos.
Hi Thanks for that. It is to complete my Masters Degree. I am an old trout so do have transport and the like. Will look into the cost of flights. 2/3 hour drive don't sound fun. Seems a lot of bother.

Thanks again
Old Jun 19th 2009, 6:41 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

2 to 3 hour drive doesn't sound so bad when you have to be at the airport 30 mins before, fly to Auckland then get from Auckland Airport to the uni. Perhaps look into whether or not there are any sort of commuter park n ride deals aimed at uni students. You could find it worthwhile driving just (for instance) to the North Shore and doing a park n ride from there. Ok I don't actually know if *that* option is possible but look into it maybe?

There used to be a train actually but they stopped it donkeys years ago. It used to run behind my nana's house in Whangarei

Oh, Whangarei flights often seem to change. I'm not sure if it's just pure bad luck on my part but I found the flights got cancelled and passengers transferred to the later/earlier flight.

If you are commuting for study that could be a pain.

Alternatively, look into a single room at a backpackers - come down some thursday nights. Often the really basic single rooms (maybe share bathroom) are quite cheap.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
2 to 3 hour drive doesn't sound so bad when you have to be at the airport 30 mins before, fly to Auckland then get from Auckland Airport to the uni. Perhaps look into whether or not there are any sort of commuter park n ride deals aimed at uni students. You could find it worthwhile driving just (for instance) to the North Shore and doing a park n ride from there. Ok I don't actually know if *that* option is possible but look into it maybe?

There used to be a train actually but they stopped it donkeys years ago. It used to run behind my nana's house in Whangarei

Oh, Whangarei flights often seem to change. I'm not sure if it's just pure bad luck on my part but I found the flights got cancelled and passengers transferred to the later/earlier flight.

If you are commuting for study that could be a pain.

Alternatively, look into a single room at a backpackers - come down some thursday nights. Often the really basic single rooms (maybe share bathroom) are quite cheap.
Thank you Kiwiprincess. I think I would drive actually, you are right about the flights and hanging about etc. I am hoping it can be done mainly by distance learning but not going to know that till we are there. Their website is not very helpful in that dept. I've got enough to sort out at the moment.

Here have a bit of princess karma
Old Jun 19th 2009, 8:07 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

oooh I like nice karma. **twitches and purrs happily**
Old Jun 20th 2009, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

zoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nice

Originally Posted by Numptyhead
Thank you Kiwiprincess. I think I would drive actually, you are right about the flights and hanging about etc. I am hoping it can be done mainly by distance learning but not going to know that till we are there. Their website is not very helpful in that dept. I've got enough to sort out at the moment.

Here have a bit of princess karma
Numpty, if I were you I would e-mail the course leader or head of department. They really should be able to tell you the amount of contact time you will have to put in on location.

Good luck with your studies!
Old Jun 21st 2009, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Can anyone give me an idea of what the commute would be like from the Whangarei area to the Uni in Auckland. Is it viable once a week?
Is there a train...don't laugh, I don't know

Maria
The Whangarei Polytech may be a campus of the Auckland University

http://www.auckland.ac.nz/uoa/

http://www.northland.ac.nz/Pages/Home.aspx
Old Jun 21st 2009, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zoglet
Numpty, if I were you I would e-mail the course leader or head of department. They really should be able to tell you the amount of contact time you will have to put in on location.

Good luck with your studies!
Zoglet, thanks for that, I have done that but they haven't got back to me
Old Jun 21st 2009, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
The Whangarei Polytech may be a campus of the Auckland University

http://www.auckland.ac.nz/uoa/

http://www.northland.ac.nz/Pages/Home.aspx
Hello Bellasmum

It is an Auckland campus, unfortunately they don't cover this type of course
x
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

zoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nice

Zoglet, thanks for that, I have done that but they haven't got back to me
In my experience, there is nothing NOTHING (!) less efficient than an academic institution when it comes to administrative tasks. Stay on their case as you don't want your plans disadvantaged cos of thier inability to manage the correspondance.

Hope this helps!
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 11:48 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Oh another thing, is this the kind of course which has people driving in to attend? Perhaps the only one nearby?

If so, advertise for a travelbuddy. You may find there is someone else attending from out of town also.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
Oh another thing, is this the kind of course which has people driving in to attend? Perhaps the only one nearby?

If so, advertise for a travelbuddy. You may find there is someone else attending from out of town also.
Hi Hun

Its a Masters in Nursing, sorry I didn't realise I hadn't said....numpty in name...numpty in.....
x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.