British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   commutable places to Auck CBD (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/commutable-places-auck-cbd-767176/)

Jan n Neil Aug 4th 2012 2:34 am

commutable places to Auck CBD

Righto iv,e done a search but am none the wiser :huh:

There is a tiny possibility of moving to Auckland in the future but i,m trying to do a bit of research now, we will be looking for a house with at least an acre better still two but realistically no more than 45 mins from the CBD either via public transport/car or motorbike :D

We do have 5 dogs and need to be rural as there is a rule against more than 2 in the city so what areas do we need to be looking at ? we have a fairly healthy budget and are not bothered about schools and things as the kids are grown up

Cheers Neil

NZ4Now Aug 4th 2012 2:57 am

Re: commutable places to Auck CBD

Hi

Would advise you look North maybe Dairy Flat way.

:)

Justcol Aug 4th 2012 3:36 am

I think North shore / Rodney might be your best bet.
As ever up here commuting is the problem,the road system is terrible and struggles with the traffic no matter what they try and do to improve it.
Depending on the time of your commute could make a 30 km difference to the distance you could look at from the CBD.
dont know about the travelling time but theres some nice spacious places out west by Waiktakere / Henderson valley area.
If you go on the advanced search on realestate nz you can set the size of land your after so you dont have to trawl through all the shite you dont want.

Jan n Neil Aug 4th 2012 7:45 am

Thank u lovely people keep em coming :thumbsup:

Bo-Jangles Aug 4th 2012 7:53 am

I would look North West, Coatesville, Riverhead, Greenhithe, Hobsonville, Herald Island, Kumeu, Waimauku.

Justcol Aug 4th 2012 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 10209615)
I would look North West, Coatesville, Riverhead, Greenhithe, Hobsonville, Herald Island, Kumeu, Waimauku.

I did some work up at Riverhead, its really nice up

_Australia Aug 5th 2012 12:53 am

I live out near Whenuapai (near Hobssonville & Kumeu) and commute in/out of the city daily only takes 30-40 minutes in rush hour traffic. Otherwise at weekends takes only about 20 minutes and your in the CBD. Loads of open spaces, places to walk etc and close to the Western Beaches

nero Aug 5th 2012 6:57 am

Kumeu, Riverhead - close to Woodhill (great mountainbiking), good beaches that are totally wild, good wineries and boutique beers
Failing that how about toward Pakuranga and beyond - there is alot of money being pumped into this area, they have some great facilities but are still relatively close to the CBD
I personally think the first option is nearer to the CBD

Jan n Neil Aug 5th 2012 7:37 am

Originally Posted by nero (Post 10211027)
Kumeu, Riverhead - close to Woodhill (great mountainbiking), good beaches that are totally wild, good wineries and boutique beers
Failing that how about toward Pakuranga and beyond - there is alot of money being pumped into this area, they have some great facilities but are still relatively close to the CBD
I personally think the first option is nearer to the CBD

as in Kumeu?
Don't mind commuting, do 40 minutes a day here and I used to do 1 hour 40 minutes each way in the UK :thumbdown:

Looks like rural and not too far away is possible, it's still a long shot whether we are going there, but finding somewhere we want to live with the dogs is part of the decision

Cheers
Jan

nero Aug 5th 2012 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 10211059)
as in Kumeu?
Don't mind commuting, do 40 minutes a day here and I used to do 1 hour 40 minutes each way in the UK :thumbdown:

Looks like rural and not too far away is possible, it's still a long shot whether we are going there, but finding somewhere we want to live with the dogs is part of the decision

Cheers
Jan

Correct Jan - Kumeu / Riverhead

rogercruse Aug 5th 2012 8:51 am

We live in Waimauku, my wife works locally and I commute to the CBD in about half the travel time that my commute into central London would take for basically the same distance.

Interesting, altering the time I leave home by 15-20 minutes can often mean that my travel time is significantly less and I still arrive in time to utilise the early-bird discount on parking.

Jan n Neil Aug 5th 2012 6:29 pm

Thank u, we have some good places to start looking :thumbup:

How much is your daily parking ?

Neil

minky Aug 6th 2012 12:36 am

Hi

We live out in Brookby near Clevedon look at clevedon.co.nz to see around the area.Clevedon has a few shops and restaurant plus farmers market.Botany is the main shopping centre which is about 25mins not sure how long to Auckland city as we dont do it it takes approx 45 mins to Penrose depending on the motorway if that helps.Maraetai is a short drive to the coast and Duders park Whiford Forest Whiford Golf Course and you can also commute by ferry from either Half moon Bay or Pine Harbour.

Karen

NZ4Now Aug 6th 2012 2:43 am

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 10211736)
Thank u, we have some good places to start looking :thumbup:

How much is your daily parking ?

Neil

I pay early bird $11.50

scrubbedexpat094 Aug 6th 2012 4:00 am

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 10211059)
as in Kumeu?

Cheers
Jan

Kumeu....plenty of wineries around there & also a brewery, Hallertau :thumbup:

Some jobs come with a designated parking place in the CBD. Comes in very useful for concerts & weekends.