British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Commutable Distances (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/commutable-distances-334498/)

nivlem Oct 30th 2005 7:09 pm

Commutable Distances

Hi everyone!
Nice to be back!

Just a quick question.
Does anyone know how long it takes to get from the CBD in Auckland to Otahuhu and vice versa in rush hour and off peak times by car?

Thanking you kindly :D

PS Where is Pinkie Pie these days? :confused:

Pinkie Pie Oct 30th 2005 7:46 pm

Re: Commutable Distances

Originally Posted by nivlem
Hi everyone!
Nice to be back!

Just a quick question.
Does anyone know how long it takes to get from the CBD in Auckland to Otahuhu and vice versa in rush hour and off peak times by car?

Thanking you kindly :D

PS Where is Pinkie Pie these days? :confused:

Hi Cathy, I'm here...:D

Can't help you with the travel thing my dear but I'm sure someone else will be able to.

How's it going with you? I have been away for a while and really need to catch up with you all - where are you 'at' at the moment then? Or have you gone already?

nivlem Oct 30th 2005 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
Hi Cathy, I'm here...:D

Can't help you with the travel thing my dear but I'm sure someone else will be able to.

How's it going with you? I have been away for a while and really need to catch up with you all - where are you 'at' at the moment then? Or have you gone already?

Where the b*&%y hell have you been!!! :scared:
You have been conspicuous with your absence chick!!!
Just posted on the role call thread.
good to see you back. :D :D

Love Cathy

Pinkie Pie Oct 30th 2005 8:14 pm

Where the b*&%y hell have you been!!! :scared:
You have been conspicuous with your absence chick!!!
Just posted on the role call thread.
good to see you back. :D :D

Love Cathy

Yep, just seen it Cathy - so it's all systems go and not long before take off for you then hey!! How exciting!!!

I've had a bit of time away as my Mum sadly passed away at the end of September. Nice of you to miss me though Cathy...:o

I've got a lot to catch up on so if any of you want to just fill me in that would be great - save me reading through pages and pages of past posts...lazy trout that I am...:D

Markk Oct 30th 2005 9:00 pm

Yep, just seen it Cathy - so it's all systems go and not long before take off for you then hey!! How exciting!!!

I've had a bit of time away as my Mum sadly passed away at the end of September. Nice of you to miss me though Cathy...:o

I've got a lot to catch up on so if any of you want to just fill me in that would be great - save me reading through pages and pages of past posts...lazy c*w that I am...:D

Hi Caroline, welcome back!
Any news on the application front?
Don't read the 'Negative Concepts' thread, it's like the bad old days! :eek:
Mark

Pinkie Pie Oct 30th 2005 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Markk
Hi Caroline, welcome back!
Any news on the application front?
Don't read the 'Negative Concepts' thread, it's like the bad old days! :eek:
Mark

Hi Mark...like a moth to a flame I was drawn to that thread...couldn't help having a peek...nostalgia is a funny thing!

I think we'd better have another catch up thread to save Cathy's thread from being hijacked...:D

Caroline

nivlem Oct 30th 2005 9:14 pm

Hi Mark...like a moth to a flame I was drawn to that thread...couldn't help having a peek...nostalgia is a funny thing!

I think we'd better have another catch up thread to save Cathy's thread from being hijacked...:D

Caroline

Thank you! :D

I still need to know how lond to otahuhu from the CBD!!! :o :o

Please help!

newkiwi Oct 30th 2005 9:28 pm

Thank you! :D

I still need to know how lond to otahuhu from the CBD!!! :o :o

Please help!

Depends on the traffic, but id say 45 mins or so. Otahuhu isnt the best of areas to live in though...........

nivlem Oct 30th 2005 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by newkiwi
Depends on the traffic, but id say 45 mins or so. Otahuhu isnt the best of areas to live in though...........

Thanks for that. Finally!! :D

Otahuhu is where hubby has been offered a job. We needed to work out how far away it is in comparison to everywhere else, and the CBD seemed a good reference point.

Would anyone please like to give us an idea of where to live which is ok and within an easy commute of Otahuhu, ie approx 45mins or 25 miles, which ever is the least!!!
I believe Otahuhu is in the south of the region and is not an ideal place to live but how about for work?
Any advice gratefully recieved! :o

Love Cathy

livewire Oct 31st 2005 12:23 am

If it's any help my husband works not too far from there, he leaves Browns Bay at around 6.50 in the morning, is on the motorway in 5-10 mins and usually at work 7:45/8:00. If he left any later it would take him a lot longer to do the journey.

On the return trip he's out at 5 and home just after 6.

Not a bad commute and it may get better once the bus lanes and stations are complete.

NZ Climber Oct 31st 2005 12:55 am

Thanks for that. Finally!! :D

Otahuhu is where hubby has been offered a job. We needed to work out how far away it is in comparison to everywhere else, and the CBD seemed a good reference point.

Would anyone please like to give us an idea of where to live which is ok and within an easy commute of Otahuhu, ie approx 45mins or 25 miles, which ever is the least!!!
I believe Otahuhu is in the south of the region and is not an ideal place to live but how about for work?
Any advice gratefully recieved! :o

Love Cathy

Ok, first off, the CBD is a terrible place to choose as a reference point as I take it you are unlikely to be living in a 1 bed apartment in the CBD??? No? Didn't think so ;) It also has no bearing on the traffic as hubby will be leaving the city (a piece of piss) not entering it (a truely crappy experience).

So, Otahuhu (as you mentioned) is horrible (relatively speaking of course) and not really where you want to be living. We live in Bucklands Beach which is approximately 10-15mins from Otahuhu and is very nice. Other suburbs that are suitable are Howick (15 mins or so), Beachlands (probably about 30 mins) or really, any of the eastern suburbs. You DON'T want to go west (out towards the airport - Mangere or any of those areas) and if you don't want a hideous commute, avoid having to go through the CBD at all (so unfortunately that rules out the North Shore (getting through Spaghetti Junction is a pain). As long as you don't have to go towards the city at any point, you'll be good. And remember, all roads lead to Spaghetti junction (and that's bad)...

annaerb Oct 31st 2005 1:10 am

Originally Posted by NZ Climber
Ok, first off, the CBD is a terrible place to choose as a reference point as I take it you are unlikely to be living in a 1 bed apartment in the CBD??? No? Didn't think so ;) It also has no bearing on the traffic as hubby will be leaving the city (a piece of piss) not entering it (a truely crappy experience).

So, Otahuhu (as you mentioned) is horrible (relatively speaking of course) and not really where you want to be living. We live in Bucklands Beach which is approximately 10-15mins from Otahuhu and is very nice. Other suburbs that are suitable are Howick (15 mins or so), Beachlands (probably about 30 mins) or really, any of the eastern suburbs. You DON'T want to go west (out towards the airport - Mangere or any of those areas) and if you don't want a hideous commute, avoid having to go through the CBD at all (so unfortunately that rules out the North Shore (getting through Spaghetti Junction is a pain). As long as you don't have to go towards the city at any point, you'll be good. And remember, all roads lead to Spaghetti junction (and that's bad)...

I agree that maybe you should look at the Eastern Suburbs areas. These would take anywhere from 15-30mins drive to Otahuhu.

SarahB Oct 31st 2005 8:57 am

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by NZ Climber

We live in Beachlands and love it here.

Heres the 2 beaches that are 5 minutes walking distance from our house.

binman Nov 1st 2005 4:41 pm

If you are fortunate enough to live within easy access to the motorway in the CBD and are south of the bridge then you will be driving against the traffic in the morning and the same on your return at night. It shouldn't be a major hassle and I would imagine around 20 mins. There is also an alternative route using the Great South Road. There is a great ethnic food hall on Mason Av. in Otahuhu. Cheers binman

fiona i Nov 1st 2005 5:38 pm

Hi
Just wondered if anyone knew how easy it is to commute to the Wiri Oil Terminal at manukau city from the Howick / Beachlands area. OH has been offered a job there but i want to live at the coast or thereabouts and Howick area looks nice and has good schools etc.

cheers

fiona
:rolleyes: