Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Communication back to UK

Communication back to UK

Old Apr 17th 2006, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

ExFelthamhope is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Communication back to UK

Do many of you have problems with communicating back home? What tips do you have?

I assume phone lines are cheaper now but the internet must be a great help.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Communication back to UK

Originally Posted by ExFelthamhope
Do many of you have problems with communicating back home? What tips do you have?

I assume phone lines are cheaper now but the internet must be a great help.

get a phonecard once your here, mine costs 20 NZD for around 600 mins i think. You just call a free local number and enter the international number.

internet is easily accesible here, but more expensive than uk but things are getting much better, my package costs 200 nzd a month, that includes cable tv, phone line, and broadband internet supposed to be 10mb speed but more like 2mbps, with a 40gb monthly cap,

they (telstra) dropped the price and increased the cap limit recently , they got a slap on the wrist from Helen Clark PM for the monopoly of the internet by the two companies here, telecom and telstra.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugo
get a phonecard once your here, mine costs 20 NZD for around 600 mins i think. You just call a free local number and enter the international number.

internet is easily accesible here, but more expensive than uk but things are getting much better, my package costs 200 nzd a month, that includes cable tv, phone line, and broadband internet supposed to be 10mb speed but more like 2mbps, with a 40gb monthly cap,

they (telstra) dropped the price and increased the cap limit recently , they got a slap on the wrist from Helen Clark PM for the monopoly of the internet by the two companies here, telecom and telstra.

Hi Sugo, where can you buy that $20 phone card? and can that be used from a call box or is that from your home phone?
Old Apr 18th 2006, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute

I have Broadband from Xtra, normal ‘phone line fees and then $60 per month for speeds up to 3.5 mb (Tui)

I do speed test on my line the most I have achieved is 2.2 mb, but having said that it is very adequate for my needs.

‘Phoning the UK is relatively cheap, at the weekends (I think it is 12 mn Friday until 12 mn Sunday, and weekdays after 8 pm until 8 am) it costs $6 per call for up to 2 hours chatting/gossiping/nattering etc.

Sometimes Telecom run a Talkathon where you can ‘phone any UK numbers, talk for as long or as little as you want over the weekend period and presto still only $6………

Now that’s what I call good value.

Please feel free to correct me if I am incorrect about the times.