British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   The common myth about the lower cost of living away from Auckland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/common-myth-about-lower-cost-living-away-auckland-776963/)

barnsleymat Nov 8th 2012 3:07 am

The common myth about the lower cost of living away from Auckland

We did 1 year in Auckland and enjoyed our time up there but due to family circumstances we were tempted away down here to Dunedin. Before moving down here we'd visited Dunedin a couple of times and it seemed to be a common theme that the people down here were telling us how life was much cheaper down here but also the wages were lower, non of these experts seemed to have lived in Auckland though!

Well after 6 months here in our experience life isn't any cheaper, probably the opposite, we don't regret our move south but I just thought I'd warn anyone thinking about moving away from Auckland.

Obviously housing is way cheaper, but apart from that everything else is either roughly the same or more expensive. The supermarkets aren't as competitive, neither are other retails establishments and to be honest it never seemed they were in Auckland but it even less so here. A guy I know at Bunnings was telling me there's Auckland prices (lower) and there's the price for everywhere else (higher) and I think most chains do the same. I used the trains everyday in Auckland and although they're a bit crappy they're cheap and regular, down here there's a bus every hour and it's not that cheap meaning a car is almost a must. We loved all the fresh fruit and vege shops dotted around Auckland, not only were the prices great but the produce was a much higher standard, they don't have the same kind of thing down here, maybe the odd fruit n vege shop every bit as costly as P&S. When you include all these factors and the higher heating costs of running a house down here it takes away any savings you have made buying a house away from Auckland.

I'm beginning to think the myth is a tool used by businesses to try and tempt staff away from the big smoke......... don't be fooled.

waikatoguy Nov 8th 2012 3:16 am

Re: The common myth about the lower cost of living away from Auckland

Oh ... I hope you're not souring on Dunedin?
Anyway Matt, I guess it would make a difference if you were renting. You might save say $100-$150 a week renting a similar house in Dunedin compared to Auckland. Thats a lot of extra dosh to spend on costs. Although you'd be right that you have to consider you would need to spend much more on heating.
I guess there's the extra transportation costs too. I wonder if there is a city in the world any more remote from the rest of the world than Dunedin?

barnsleymat Nov 8th 2012 3:53 am

We're much happier down here for various reasons, but non of those reasons are financial.

Dunners is a pretty remote place, I'm still trying to figure out why they decided to build such a big expensive stadium so far out of the way. Terrible transport links, tiny airport, low population and so far away from any real population and they built a 30,000 seater stadium. It's be like building the new Wembley on Guernsey.

Justcol Nov 8th 2012 4:36 am

which i why I want to live in tauranga

TommyLuck Nov 8th 2012 6:53 am

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 10371985)
It's be like building the new Wembley on Guernsey.

I would have gone for Penzance, at lest once you're in Guernsey, you can spit from one side of the island to the other.

In seriousness, I'm sad to hear that you struggle to keep your head above water.

You make a very good point.