British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Commercially Importing goods from UK to NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/commercially-importing-goods-uk-nz-882764/)

ellenarosemary Sep 3rd 2016 5:57 am

Commercially Importing goods from UK to NZ

Hi has anyone done this, was thinking about importing a container load of pine/painted furniture, metalware, stoneware etc to sell in our new shop.

Has anyone had any experience of doing this, have looked up the various import duties that need to be paid, but would really like some info from someone that has done it.

Thanks

JaneRiley Sep 3rd 2016 6:30 pm

Re: Commercially Importing goods from UK to NZ

Sorry, no personal experience but it does remind me of a conversation we had in an antique shop in Shannon (in the Manawatu not Ireland). We had visions of old villas being emptied of their Victorian goodies and the pioneering folk who had built new towns in NZ until the owner told us she shipped it all over in containers from Shepton Mallet...

Pulaski Sep 3rd 2016 6:46 pm

You'll have tariffs to pay - start your research here, plus GST, plus port, handling, customs, and inspection fees and charges on arrival. There will be quite a paper chase around the port, handled by your customs agent (who also needs to be paid), to be able to finally pay your dues and take delivery of your container.

LoCarb Sep 3rd 2016 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by ellenarosemary (Post 12042582)
Hi has anyone done this, was thinking about importing a container load of pine/painted furniture, metalware, stoneware etc to sell in our new shop.

Has anyone had any experience of doing this, have looked up the various import duties that need to be paid, but would really like some info from someone that has done it.

Thanks

You really need to go over there and select your stock otherwise they will overcharge (and/or) send crap.
I know antique dealers who go regularly.

I did contemplate this myself and went around a few wholesale warehouses in Essex/Kent/Sussex area, but decided it was too much hassle in the end.

The one thing in your favour at the moment is the exchange rate, which is much better than when I was looking.

One point. Make sure you take a business card if you go. Some of them can get quite snotty :zzz:

BEVS Sep 4th 2016 1:12 am

We have this place down on our wharf Ellena.

Perhaps contact them and ask them. After all they are a fair bit away from you and this is NZ. We're all supposed to be frendly and helpful aren't we.

jmh Sep 4th 2016 3:07 am

I know someone was importing IKEA stuff - not sure if they still do, but it could be an interesting product line.

SSky Sep 9th 2016 5:09 am

I often toyed with the idea of importing static caravans as you can buy them for peanuts in the UK and sell them for 'loads of money' here in NZ but it takes capital or courage doesn't it and I'm not that brave ... yet! I go to markets all the time where the owners of stalls have been on buying trips to Europe and the uk and it seems to be paying them a wage, don't know if they're getting rich quick through it though.
Maybe it just pays for their annual holiday?

LittleGreyCat Sep 10th 2016 5:42 pm

I wondered about static caravans; as you said they are very cheap second hand in the UK but there doesn't seem to be any major supply in NZ.

The long term caravans I have seen in NZ seem to be large touring caravans with industrial canvas awnings all lashed down, or a caravan with a shed/extension built on.

I did wonder about buying a section then importing a static caravan as a cheap way to get started; the UK caravans come with all mod cons including central heating, flush toilets and fully fitted kitchens.

The nearest NZ equivalent seems to be prefabricated buildings.

I think the UK market came from the favourable tax for caravans as opposed to houses; some places I have seen two (nominal) caravans - that is with a couple of tiny wheels and a minimal chassis - side by side joined together to make a reasonable sized bungalow.

Certainly what serves as a holiday caravan in the UK would do pretty well for most of the year in NZ; we have stayed in caravans over Christmas and the New Year in the UK and they have been fine.