Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Coming for a visit in October - any recommendations on places to stay in Auckland?

Coming for a visit in October - any recommendations on places to stay in Auckland?

Old Feb 12th 2013, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Coming for a visit in October - any recommendations on places to stay in Auckland?

Four adults coming to visit Auckland/NZ in October.

Can anybody recommend apartments etc. in the Auckland area?

Steve
Old Feb 12th 2013, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coming for a visit in October - any recommendations on places to stay in Auckland

We stayed at http://www.presidenthotelauckland.co.nz/. We had a 2 bedroom apartment, booked through wotif.com. We chose this one as was able to have two single beds in 2nd bedroom, rather than the one (2 grown up sons, not into sharing anything, let alone beds!). Facilities were very good, with full kitchen and laundry facilities in the apartment.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 4:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coming for a visit in October - any recommendations on places to stay in Auckland

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones
Four adults coming to visit Auckland/NZ in October.

Can anybody recommend apartments etc. in the Auckland area?

Steve
Will you have a car, or be relying on public transport?
Old Feb 13th 2013, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Will you have a car, or be relying on public transport?
To be honest, I'm not sure which way to go on this.
I was thinking of hiring a car for the whole time we were there but am thinking that it may be better to hire one for the days we need it rather than all of them.

Which one would you recommend?
Old Feb 13th 2013, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chippy64
We stayed at http://www.presidenthotelauckland.co.nz/. We had a 2 bedroom apartment, booked through wotif.com. We chose this one as was able to have two single beds in 2nd bedroom, rather than the one (2 grown up sons, not into sharing anything, let alone beds!). Facilities were very good, with full kitchen and laundry facilities in the apartment.
Thanks for this.
We will certainly give this a look.

Steve
Old Feb 14th 2013, 5:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking if you were wanting to get out to the burbs to look at housing, schools and such like you really do need a car.

If I came to Auckland for a 'holiday' / recce visit I would be inclined to stay outside of the city centre somewhere of you're choosing. Perhaps somewhere that you might be considering living - so that you can check out the shops, schools, supermarkets and such like. Being based in the CBD would give you a very wrong impression of what it is like to live as a family and work and travel about the city. If you chose to do this you really would NEED a car.

If you're staying in the CBD you'll be paying lots for parking a car on the days you are not using it, so probably a good idea as you say to just to plan to do all your driving bits, after you've done the city highlights by public transport / on foot.

You can hire a car for any number of days short term and even for a few hours. I will say that driving around Auckland can be a very scary prospect for a total newbie and you will undoubtedly find yourself 'lost' for a good deal of the time. Road signs leave a lot to be desired and generally don't give much of a clue as to the general direction you need to be heading, nor do they indicate which exit you need for particular places.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I was thinking if you were wanting to get out to the burbs to look at housing, schools and such like you really do need a car.

If I came to Auckland for a 'holiday' / recce visit I would be inclined to stay outside of the city centre somewhere of you're choosing. Perhaps somewhere that you might be considering living - so that you can check out the shops, schools, supermarkets and such like. Being based in the CBD would give you a very wrong impression of what it is like to live as a family and work and travel about the city. If you chose to do this you really would NEED a car.

If you're staying in the CBD you'll be paying lots for parking a car on the days you are not using it, so probably a good idea as you say to just to plan to do all your driving bits, after you've done the city highlights by public transport / on foot.

You can hire a car for any number of days short term and even for a few hours. I will say that driving around Auckland can be a very scary prospect for a total newbie and you will undoubtedly find yourself 'lost' for a good deal of the time. Road signs leave a lot to be desired and generally don't give much of a clue as to the general direction you need to be heading, nor do they indicate which exit you need for particular places.

Thanks for this advice. I will take it on board and make a decision on where to stay etc. based on it. As you say, one of the reasons for the trip is not so much to look at downtown Auckland but rather to 'recce' housing, jobs, shopping etc with a view to migrating from the UK to NZ.

To do this we would be better off being 'out of town' as it were.

Cheers

Steve
Old Feb 14th 2013, 5:19 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Get a sat-nav or a navigation app if you have a smart-phone. Driving around Auckland is way easier off the plane than most cities world-wide, right side of the road, signs in English etc etc, as with anywhere there are some idiots on the roads occasionally but I expect you wont have much trouble unless you are a very nervous driver :-)
Old Feb 14th 2013, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
Get a sat-nav or a navigation app if you have a smart-phone. Driving around Auckland is way easier off the plane than most cities world-wide, right side of the road, signs in English etc etc, as with anywhere there are some idiots on the roads occasionally but I expect you wont have much trouble unless you are a very nervous driver :-)
I would agree.
In fact, I drove here directly off the plane after emigrating - very tiring with three kids, and no stop overs. Ok, I almost feel asleep but that's a side issue! The driving was easy - once I'd trained my left leg not to get involved (driving an automatic).
Old Feb 14th 2013, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GoingIn2011
I would agree.
In fact, I drove here directly off the plane after emigrating - very tiring with three kids, and no stop overs. Ok, I almost feel asleep but that's a side issue! The driving was easy - once I'd trained my left leg not to get involved (driving an automatic).
I hear you on automatics! I brake-tested a few Aussies last time I was there. I drive a manual gear-box at home!
Old Feb 14th 2013, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by simonsi
Thanks Simonsi
Old Feb 14th 2013, 9:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

So where do you think you would like to be? Where's the job likely to be? Any ideas yet?
Old Feb 15th 2013, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
So where do you think you would like to be? Where's the job likely to be? Any ideas yet?
I think I would like to be in the Auckland area.
On the jobs front I am looking at software developer positions but I need a job offer before I can remain in NZ.

Steve
Old Feb 15th 2013, 8:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones
I think I would like to be in the Auckland area.
On the jobs front I am looking at software developer positions but I need a job offer before I can remain in NZ.

Steve
Sorry Steve I didn't make myself too clear. I meant whereabouts in the Auckland area as it's a large place. When we first came out we had thought that the North Shore would suit us but we it didn't suit us when we got here. Just wondered if you had any preconceptions on areas.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Sorry Steve I didn't make myself too clear. I meant whereabouts in the Auckland area as it's a large place. When we first came out we had thought that the North Shore would suit us but we it didn't suit us when we got here. Just wondered if you had any preconceptions on areas.

Ha Ha. Sorry. No problems. We have been looking at the North Shore we need to broaden our horizons a little in order not to have to get too big a mortgage.

Any recommendations?

Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.