Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Coming up to a year

Coming up to a year

Old Feb 10th 2021, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coming up to a year

Originally Posted by Clappy
It really is swings and roundabouts and will typically involve some compromises.

I have mentioned before the very good exhibition that was in the Museum in Nelson a few years ago showing all the misinformation that used to be sent back to Britain to lure workers to emigrate there compared to the hardships that they would experience when they got there.

I moved from London to Auckland, My visa was a Partnership visa so I didn't need to line up a job-offer before I moved. I am in the same line of work now (although it took a few years to manage that thanks to GFC).

My working-week is more hours than it was in London, my annual-leave is fewer days than it was in London, my daily commute takes longer than it did in London, my choices for restaurants and entertainment are fewer than they were in London, but I live in a bigger house than I could have afforded in London so what can you do? I am glad I don't have to worry about Kids though - that would make the decisions more complicated.
See that's the problem aswell.
You can't compare Auckland to London.
I would say Auckland is more like Newcastle type city at a push.
But you can only compare your own personal circumstances from now to then and what suits you.
I was the same come here with my wife and no kids. Had a kid last year it changes every thing.
Old Feb 11th 2021, 3:29 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
We had visions of weekends away in Australia and the Pacific Islands.
HeHe. So true really. We thought we'd be flitting around the country on internal flights. Visits back to see family and friends? No problemo . It's only a day away. Buy a modest house somewhere ( snort) and maybe an even smaller beach hut type of bolt hole ( incredibly stoopid )
Old Feb 11th 2021, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
HeHe. So true really. We thought we'd be flitting around the country on internal flights. Visits back to see family and friends? No problemo . It's only a day away. Buy a modest house somewhere ( snort) and maybe an even smaller beach hut type of bolt hole ( incredibly stoopid )
See I reckon if you had lived in the south of England in and around London. Were late 30s early 40s had a property in and around London. Moved here in the early 2000s when it was 3 dollars to the pound you would have been living the dream like.
Eveything wouldn't have felt so expensive when it was 3 dollars to the pound.
1.90 to the pound now makes everything expensive.
Old Feb 11th 2021, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jarv5116
See I reckon if you had lived in the south of England in and around London. Were late 30s early 40s had a property in and around London. Moved here in the early 2000s when it was 3 dollars to the pound you would have been living the dream like.
Eveything wouldn't have felt so expensive when it was 3 dollars to the pound.
1.90 to the pound now makes everything expensive.
Good point and I always said that timing is the key and so many factors can change your view. Some might sell their mortgage free home now and it might just be enough for a deposit elsewhere.
This is often the case with people who come from more affordable parts of the UK and if you'd ask them if they would move to London it's a Big NO due to housing cost. The same people would move to NZ, but then end up in Auckland and are frustrated with cost of housing.
Old Feb 12th 2021, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Bad driving..it's no worse than in the UK. I think some have been here to long and forgotten how bad the roads/driving are back in the UK. I don't see any bad driving on my daily commute. Just people driving. Some go faster than me, some go slower. Just move over, let em go and carry on with my day. It's no big deal. I don't need to take my frustrations out on some stranger just because he's doing something I'm not.

Houses are different. There's a house here for whatever style you want. If you don't like old, buy new. Don't like timber, but brick. Want to live near the sea, it's easy done. Fancy a bit of land, there's plenty for sale, just choose the size and price you can afford.and away you go.

Lifestyle. Why did I travel half way round the world. Certainly not to do the same thing I was going before. I simply wanted a place and space I could connect with. This, and the contentment it brings was the goal. To much time is spent chasing money, image and status. If that's what you need to be happy it's ok, but if you dont reach your goals don't blame NZ. This place simply opens its doors for you to come and try. They don't drag you in screaming and kicking. You choose to come and if it's not for you, just accept that, cross this place off your list and move along on your journey. It's no one's fault.

Prices..some things cost more here. Food is seasonal and prices are driven by supply and demand and the need for retailers to make a profit. All prices of items for sale, from groceries to cars, furniture, petrol, houses, can easily be researched online, yet everyone still complains about the cost of living when they are here. It's like telling a child they'll get burned if they stick their hand in a fire, and then watching them do it.

work life balance..Don't complain about working to many hours and having no time on your hands. All you have to is decide what is important in your life and make a change. Sometimes you'll have to give up one thing to gain another. You have to weigh up the pros and cons of each situation. If you can't do that don't blame NZ, it's entirely your fault

Last edited by Justcol; Feb 12th 2021 at 11:09 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2021, 12:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

HeHe. So true really. We thought we'd be flitting around the country on internal flights.
I appreciate I probably have left it a bit late in the day but in efforts to support 'local' tourism as we keep being told to do, I started pricing up a mini break to South Island for Easter weekend - I only got as far as looking at budget flights (Jetstar), accommodation and car hire for four days and it was over $2k, without even thinking about any activities or eating, so we definitely won't be 'doing something new New Zealand''.
Old Feb 13th 2021, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I appreciate I probably have left it a bit late in the day but in efforts to support 'local' tourism as we keep being told to do, I started pricing up a mini break to South Island for Easter weekend - I only got as far as looking at budget flights (Jetstar), accommodation and car hire for four days and it was over $2k, without even thinking about any activities or eating, so we definitely won't be 'doing something new New Zealand''.
I took a week off work this week.
Hired a 6 berth campervan for 8 days.
740 dollars bargain lol

Old Feb 13th 2021, 3:21 am
`

Originally Posted by jarv5116
I took a week off work this week.
Hired a 6 berth campervan for 8 days.
740 dollars bargain lol
Did you take out the extra insurance. Not sure where you are. We did hire a campervan for 10 days but had to drive from Nelson to Xch to get the thing. Nothing direct from Nelson that wasn't a good $150 a day .
We would like to do a wee NZ island tour before winter sets in but the costs look a bit ...erms....$$$
Old Feb 13th 2021, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

Did you take out the extra insurance. Not sure where you are. We did hire a campervan for 10 days but had to drive from Nelson to Xch to get the thing. Nothing direct from Nelson that wasn't a good $150 a day .
We would like to do a wee NZ island tour before winter sets in but the costs look a bit ...erms....$$$
Yeah picked up in Auckland return to Auckland.
Heading down east coast.
Yeah I took the insurance was 40 dollars a day extra. it wasn't the driving the camper or bumping it off something i was worried about. I have drove HGVs for years. I was worried incase I hit a tree or something random happened lol
Old Feb 16th 2021, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

A good few years back we did the costings and a motor home + site fee was almost the same as a hire car and a cabin.

The last time we visited we went with rent-a-dent for the hire car and just did self catering.
It depends if you want to stay on sites with facilities or to wild camp to save on site fees.
Old Mar 21st 2021, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Bermondsey George is an unknown quantity at this point

If you arrive in NZ with little or no money then I agree with most of the above posts, but then that would be the same in every other country on the planet.
Personally I have never regretted moving here.
I have a home that I could never have afforded in the UK and I feel immeasurably safer here.
What do I miss about the UK?
My family, historical buildings, shopping (choice) and crispy aromatic duck!!!
Other than that nothing.

Furthermore after my so called "holiday" to the UK 3 years ago, I will never again go back to England.
Old Mar 22nd 2021, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones.
I love it here, love my life, love my house, love where I live, love never working more than 3 days then 2 off, love having more annual leave than I can use.
House prices are stupid but I've already got one. Used car prices are stupid. I'd rather drive here than the UK. Life is good
Old Mar 22nd 2021, 7:02 am
`

Originally Posted by Bermondsey George
Furthermore after my so called "holiday" to the UK 3 years ago, I will never again go back to England.
Originally Posted by Justcol
I love it here, love my life, love my house, love where I live, love never working more than 3 days then 2 off, love having more annual leave than I can use.
House prices are stupid but I've already got one. Used car prices are stupid. I'd rather drive here than the UK. Life is good
I was wondering day before yesterday if you two knew each other now through Nyge & Karla - Fooferfish. Fooferfish also being a CO down Dunedin way + his wife working in Corrections also and that B.G. knows the family from the early years when he was doing aircon.
Old Mar 22nd 2021, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

I was wondering day before yesterday if you two knew each other now through Nyge & Karla - Fooferfish. Fooferfish also being a CO down Dunedin way + his wife working in Corrections also and that B.G. knows the family from the early years when he was doing aircon.
Don't think I know BG, but I work with Nige, and pigdog, another CO down here
Am also good friends with psychopandy and Toon nut who used to be on here, and Amloolah, although I haven't seen her for a wee while.

Last edited by Justcol; Mar 22nd 2021 at 9:18 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2021, 1:03 am
`

Originally Posted by Justcol
Don't think I know BG, but I work with Nige, and pigdog, another CO down here
. Nige and George are besties and you posted with both of them on BE way back when. I've this enduring image of the pair of them together having driven onto a beach somewhere down your way.

Please give my regard to Nige. I followed his journey from day one . He did the hard yards in getting to NZ in the same way that Barnsley Matt did. Real grit and determination to make it all happen anyway it could be done and against some odds.

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 23rd 2021 at 1:08 am.