Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Coming up to a year

Coming up to a year

Old Feb 8th 2021, 7:34 am
Just Joined

UKTONZ2019 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Coming up to a year

So in the next couple if days my family and I have been in NZ for a yfor. It took me ages to commit to the job offer , worried about leaving the life I knew in UK. I lived in the UK for 13, had a really decent job and a lovely house. But when the job offer came through and following the skype interviews I was convinced this would be the lifestyle we wanted.

So my thoughts a year in.
work life balance? Well I've never worked as hard as I am at the moment , long hours and minimal reward.
Housing , really expensive and super hard to get into a rental.
Food .... Again really expensive and the quality and choice just isn't there.
Roads ... They are terrible, loads of accidents and the drivers here are rude ! Non of this indicating and expecting someone to let in ...

You pay for doctors ... Around $35 an appointment. But I must say the doctors here make time for you and you see the same doctor over and over.

​​​don't get me wrong it's a stunning country and I'm going to give it a go. But I do really wish I had done more time doing my research. The grass definitely isn't always greener as they say ...

Good luck peeps
Old Feb 8th 2021, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coming up to a year

Originally Posted by UKTONZ2019
So in the next couple if days my family and I have been in NZ for a yfor. It took me ages to commit to the job offer , worried about leaving the life I knew in UK. I lived in the UK for 13, had a really decent job and a lovely house. But when the job offer came through and following the skype interviews I was convinced this would be the lifestyle we wanted.

work life balance? Well I've never worked as hard as I am at the moment , long hours and minimal reward.
Roads ... They are terrible, loads of accidents and the drivers here are rude ! Non of this indicating and expecting someone to let in ...

You pay for doctors ... Around $35 an appointment. But I must say the doctors here make time for you and you see the same doctor over and over.

​​​don't get me wrong it's a stunning country and I'm going to give it a go. But I do really wish I had done more time doing my research. The grass definitely isn't always greener as they say ...

Good luck peeps
What do you do for work mate
Old Feb 8th 2021, 9:56 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Good luck peeps
Ah well. It was all there to read .
You might wish to consider a cheaper area of NZ.
Old Feb 8th 2021, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You were in the UK for 13 years.... so where did you live before?
Old Feb 9th 2021, 6:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

It took me ages to commit to the job offer , worried about leaving the life I knew in UK. I lived in the UK for 13, had a really decent job and a lovely house. But when the job offer came through and following the skype interviews I was convinced this would be the lifestyle we wanted.

All of which have which have been pointed out and discussed on this 'ere forum ad infinitum for many years, but most choose to overlook all that and write it off as hearsay when doing their 'research' and the pink tinted googles kick in.

The living is easy, the choices and quality of produce and driving skills and courtesy on the roads is amazing - said none ever, but you can't grasp that when you are across the other side of the world dreaming about that world famous in New Zealand 'lifestyle' and 'work life balance' bollocks that's peddled about.

Not sure what you were looking for in terms of lifestyle - maybe an easier life working less hours and spending time at the beach, but few people ever achieve without having to make some huge sacrifices and compromises. I believe you settled in Tauranga which surely must provide all of the above lifestyle factors you could want but does of course come with many limiting factors in regards to pay, job prospects, shopping, restaurants and other amenities that you would get in any of the bigger cities - so there's your compromise and perhaps you need to think about whether a move elsewhere in the country would provide any improvement on any of the things that bother you presently.

I have never been 100% happy here but every time I look at the alternatives, it ends up being in the too hard basket and everywhere else has additional or different downsides that I really don't want to add into the mix, so we stay put and make the most until such time as we get a better offer.
Old Feb 9th 2021, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
All of which have which have been pointed out and discussed on this 'ere forum ad infinitum for many years, but most choose to overlook all that and write it off as hearsay when doing their 'research' and the pink tinted googles kick in.

The living is easy, the choices and quality of produce and driving skills and courtesy on the roads is amazing - said none ever, but you can't grasp that when you are across the other side of the world dreaming about that world famous in New Zealand 'lifestyle' and 'work life balance' bollocks that's peddled about.

Not sure what you were looking for in terms of lifestyle - maybe an easier life working less hours and spending time at the beach, but few people ever achieve without having to make some huge sacrifices and compromises. I believe you settled in Tauranga which surely must provide all of the above lifestyle factors you could want but does of course come with many limiting factors in regards to pay, job prospects, shopping, restaurants and other amenities that you would get in any of the bigger cities - so there's your compromise and perhaps you need to think about whether a move elsewhere in the country would provide any improvement on any of the things that bother you presently.

I have never been 100% happy here but every time I look at the alternatives, it ends up being in the too hard basket and everywhere else has additional or different downsides that I really don't want to add into the mix, so we stay put and make the most until such time as we get a better offer.
You are right and I think very few are ever 100% happy with everything. It's not just NZ and most people move for a better job, money/work life balance. Even the job I have today can change and many other things are not in your own hands. I can keep my garden litter free, but when I drive the country roads that are littered by others, there's only so much you can do. It's the same with bad driving and just something I have to live with. When you are so far away from home, simple things can be a bigger challenge and you just know you'll be giving these things up for the so called better lifestyle. This is why we eventually stayed in Europe and while the challenges still remain, it's probably easier to find the best of both worlds if you aren't on the other side of the world (family etc.).

Last edited by Moses2013; Feb 9th 2021 at 11:51 am.
Old Feb 10th 2021, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Even the job I have today can change and many other things are not in your own hands.
I know what you mean, I have bumbled along relatively happy in same job for a number of years now but been through many ups and downs and constant chaotic non-sensical changes of structures and different managers. My feelings towards NZ probably mirror my feelings about my job and that is very much dependent on how well I get on with people I work with and the calibre of managers we have on board at any given time.
Old Feb 10th 2021, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck peeps
I know what you mean mate.
If I told people the terms and easy money job I had back home compared to what I do know they would think I'm some sort of crazy nut job honestly lol
I worked it out. I need to work 65 hours in NZ to cover 42 hours back home. That's on pretty much the same hourly rate aswell. with my living costs about half aswell back home lmao. need to be some sort of crazy B$$$$$D lol.
I had visions of being on the beach at 2pm and making sand castles and eating ice creams everyday haha
Old Feb 10th 2021, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jarv5116
I had visions of being on the beach at 2pm and making sand castles and eating ice creams everyday haha
Was there a swimming pool in your back yard too?
Old Feb 10th 2021, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We had visions of weekends away in Australia and the Pacific Islands.
Old Feb 10th 2021, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Was there a swimming pool in your back yard too?
Now your pushing it Bro haha
I don't know why I had those visions either. I hate the beach. I have never sat on a beach for more than 20 mins in my life lol.
I didn't relise kiwis worked so hard and averaged more hours a week till I come here to be honest.
Old Feb 10th 2021, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

We had visions of weekends away in Australia and the Pacific Islands.
hahaha
That's so funny.
Me and misses thought yeah we pop over Melbourne and gold coast see my family on weekends ect lol
Yeah like fook that's happened lol
Old Feb 10th 2021, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I didn't relise kiwis worked so hard and averaged more hours a week till I come here to be honest.
I promised myself I was going to put a stop to that this year; here we are just a few weeks into the year, kids all back at school this week and mental traffic is back so was out of the house for eleven hours all up today. I really must try harder and get out of office on time.
Old Feb 10th 2021, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

I have said this loads of times on this forum aswell since I have been living in NZ.
When I hear the I wanna move to NZ for a better life. Do research. It's ok if your a couple on a adventure like me and the misses was before we come. Nothing to lose type scenario. packed two suitcases and jumped on a one way flight Auckland. If you have kids and a family do some serious research or you may find yourself in a pure world of S$$T. It's a really really expensive f$$k up if you dont like it and wanna go home a year later.
Yeah NZ is a life saver if your from somewhere like Bangladesh or Philippines and in extreme poverty or a war zone like Afghan or a remote island in the Pacific like Tonga or Soma.
It makes me laugh. the Indian guys and phillapenios at my work say how much of your money is 1 dollar lol I say na its how much dollars to one pound. They think I'm stupid. I'm not here for money if it was about pure money I would have gone home 2 years ago.
If your from somewhere like Britain you may find you just made a massive mistake. You just have to look at the statistics of British people that go home.
I like it here. will I stay forever, probs not. But I'm glad I come to this part of the world and experienced living down under.

Last edited by jarv5116; Feb 10th 2021 at 8:33 am.
Old Feb 10th 2021, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

The grass definitely isn't always greener as they say ...

Good luck peeps
It really is swings and roundabouts and will typically involve some compromises.

I have mentioned before the very good exhibition that was in the Museum in Nelson a few years ago showing all the misinformation that used to be sent back to Britain to lure workers to emigrate there compared to the hardships that they would experience when they got there.

I moved from London to Auckland, My visa was a Partnership visa so I didn't need to line up a job-offer before I moved. I am in the same line of work now (although it took a few years to manage that thanks to GFC).

My working-week is more hours than it was in London, my annual-leave is fewer days than it was in London, my daily commute takes longer than it did in London, my choices for restaurants and entertainment are fewer than they were in London, but I live in a bigger house than I could have afforded in London so what can you do? I am glad I don't have to worry about Kids though - that would make the decisions more complicated.

Last edited by Clappy; Feb 10th 2021 at 6:32 pm. Reason: More to add.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.