Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Coming up to 1 year in NZ

Coming up to 1 year in NZ

Old Aug 2nd 2011, 4:42 am
Just Joined

northumberland has a brilliant futurenorthumberland has a brilliant futurenorthumberland has a brilliant futurenorthumberland has a brilliant futurenorthumberland has a brilliant futurenorthumberland has a brilliant futurenorthumberland has a brilliant future
Default Coming up to 1 year in NZ

Almost 1 year since moving to NZ - going through 'is this the right place for us' motions! We think location is the problem we are use to country living but in the UK you could be in a city within 30 mins - 1 hour! Missing things like places to have good meal, drink and a laugh! We love so much about NZ but we have just been noting we have not have a good laugh with people for a long time. Any North East Englander's who could provide us with some good Geordie fun? We think that is all we miss!
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

Moliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really nice
Default Re: Coming up to 1 year in NZ

Originally Posted by northumberland
Almost 1 year since moving to NZ - going through 'is this the right place for us' motions! We think location is the problem we are use to country living but in the UK you could be in a city within 30 mins - 1 hour! Missing things like places to have good meal, drink and a laugh! We love so much about NZ but we have just been noting we have not have a good laugh with people for a long time. Any North East Englander's who could provide us with some good Geordie fun? We think that is all we miss!
we are coming up a year too, firstly on the North Shore but although lots to do we all prefer the countryside, moved north a bit much nicer prettier etc and near gorgeous Matakana winerys bars etc but.....I know exactly what you mean the only good laugh I've had in ages is Graham Norton on the t.v.! Folk polite here but not bothered about mixing,we even tried to talk to the neighbours...nodded then ignored! Even the boss says I talk too much, (work 2 days) 'cos I'm squeezing 5 other days of chatter into 2 I expect! I have Kiwi family here and we find that apart from seeing them occasionally and a couple of other poms wev'e gone from knowing everyone in the village to Mr and Mrs Billy no mates! Not for the want of trying either!! Quite depressing really... My daughter whos at primary and is very sociable and bubbly has 2 friends...both Chinese. She asked a kid at school if she wanted to come round one night? Her reply was what for!!
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 7:04 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Coming up to 1 year in NZ

[QUOTE=northumberland;9532360]Almost 1 year since moving to NZ - going through 'is this the right place for us' motions! We think location is the problem we are use to country living but in the UK you could be in a city within 30 mins - 1 hour! Missing things like places to have good meal, drink and a laugh! We love so much about NZ but we have just been noting we have not have a good laugh with people for a long time. Any North East Englander's who could provide us with some good Geordie fun? We think that is all we miss![/

Took me a long time to make friends in wangas but luckily from working as a demostrater in supermarkets made more friends through that and what a surprise they are English, welsh and Irish.

We was lucky I guess as I have best friend I've known since I was 5 who moved from the Uk also and lives in Napier, they Have a great group of friends all British again who meet regular and it kept me sane for the first few years of living in wangas as we visit quite regular, I know what you mean about having a laugh, but why don't you get yourself on skype at least you can have a chat and laugh with the folks back in the Uk.

We are the same though looking to move somewhere livelier and maybe Oz later! Husband has had a few interviews keep your fingers crossed.

And wish you were in wangas could do with some geordie humour and that reminds me I miss Ant and Deck

Last edited by love30stm; Aug 2nd 2011 at 7:08 am.