Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Coming to Tauranga in Jan

Coming to Tauranga in Jan

Old Nov 27th 2007, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

becabops is a jewel in the roughbecabops is a jewel in the roughbecabops is a jewel in the roughbecabops is a jewel in the roughbecabops is a jewel in the rough
Smile Coming to Tauranga in Jan

Hi

We are moving to Tauranga in Jan 08 ( me Hubby and two little uns) no job offer as yet, can anybody help with any advice re job hunting, finding temporary accommodation, playgroups to take kiddies to etc?
We are coming from a cold miserable Manchester where it is -1 today! the place is grey and downbeat, cannot wait to leave!

Thanks
Becabops
Old Nov 27th 2007, 7:49 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Coming to Tauranga in Jan

Originally Posted by becabops
Hi

We are moving to Tauranga in Jan 08 ( me Hubby and two little uns) no job offer as yet, can anybody help with any advice re job hunting, finding temporary accommodation, playgroups to take kiddies to etc?
We are coming from a cold miserable Manchester where it is -1 today! the place is grey and downbeat, cannot wait to leave!

Thanks
Becabops
Hi Becabops,

Welcome to the forum.

It very much depends where in Tauranga you will be coming to? Do you have an area arranged? What jobs are you after? How old are the kids?

Sunday we had 28 degrees, Monday was slightly cooler at I think it was 26! However, today is a little overcast, but can't complain!
Old Nov 27th 2007, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

custard creams has a brilliant futurecustard creams has a brilliant futurecustard creams has a brilliant futurecustard creams has a brilliant futurecustard creams has a brilliant futurecustard creams has a brilliant future

Hi, just returned from a trip to tauranga, loved it!

Hopefully interview will prove possitive as all went well. the whole area is brilliant.
hired a car from Aukland £10/day then stayed at a couple of good places around Tauranga, both saying they have had families from the UK staying for a few weeks.
plenty of places to stay & plenty of opportunities,

we are also from the NW, therefore understand!!
Old Nov 27th 2007, 9:50 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi Becabops and welcome to the forum. Have some karma to start you off. At least you won't be doing a full winter in the UK.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

becabops is a jewel in the roughbecabops is a jewel in the roughbecabops is a jewel in the roughbecabops is a jewel in the roughbecabops is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Hi Becabops,

Welcome to the forum.

It very much depends where in Tauranga you will be coming to? Do you have an area arranged? What jobs are you after? How old are the kids?

Sunday we had 28 degrees, Monday was slightly cooler at I think it was 26! However, today is a little overcast, but can't complain!
Hi Bevs

Thanks for the reply, how long have you been in Tauranga? Do you have young children?
We will be looking at settling in Mt Manganui or Tauranga Bay, not for from you i think?
My husband has a telephone interview today so fingers crossed.
XX
Old Nov 30th 2007, 8:09 am

Hi Bevs

Thanks for the reply, how long have you been in Tauranga? Do you have young children?
We will be looking at settling in Mt Manganui or Tauranga Bay, not for from you i think?
My husband has a telephone interview today so fingers crossed.
XX
Hey, how did the interview go? Any joy? I've heard about 2 rentals coming up, one now and one after Christmas - let me know if you might be interested. One in the Mount and one in Papamoa.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Hey, how did the interview go? Any joy? I've heard about 2 rentals coming up, one now and one after Christmas - let me know if you might be interested. One in the Mount and one in Papamoa.
Hi
What is your name? let me know. Well the interview is now taking place tomorrow, so fingers crossed. Tell me more about the rentals, the company my hubby is speaking to is based in the Mount, so that one sounds good, do you know the people who own it?
Tell me about the weather it is horrible here cannot wait to come and our first warm xmas.
do you have little ones? Whereabouts form Britain are you from?
Speak soon
Becks.
x
Old Dec 1st 2007, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

krissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant future

hiya,
wer from nw too and now in tauranga!! great place to be..kids love it....make the most of your last freezin cold xmas!!!
Old Dec 1st 2007, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

custard creams has a brilliant futurecustard creams has a brilliant futurecustard creams has a brilliant futurecustard creams has a brilliant futurecustard creams has a brilliant futurecustard creams has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Coming to Tauranga in Jan

Hi,

Freezin cold already in the North west UK! Wait till Christmas!!!

Can you recommend good schools or areas,

loved Tauranga and would appreciate comments on Tauranga suberbs please,

hopefully there in 08,

thanks
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

krissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant future

hiya..we had a good look around the area...all depends where u will be working really...if you get a job over the mount/papamoa then ur probably better off on that side of the water. we picked a place called Ohauiti. my hubby works in the centre and i work in another town nearby...10 mins drive...no traffic!!! what age kids are you looking at schools for?? my 3 are all at different schools...one primary, one intermediate and one college!! which school, (primary) would depend on where you live as you have to be in the zone. not with the older ones tho'. where in nw are you? pm me if you want any more specific info (school names etc) n good luck with the move!!!
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 9:24 am

Hi
What is your name? let me know. Well the interview is now taking place tomorrow, so fingers crossed. Tell me more about the rentals, the company my hubby is speaking to is based in the Mount, so that one sounds good, do you know the people who own it?
Tell me about the weather it is horrible here cannot wait to come and our first warm xmas.
do you have little ones? Whereabouts form Britain are you from?
Speak soon
Becks.
x
Hi Becks,

Hope the interview went through this time?! My Hubby knows the guy who owns the rental in the Mount and the one in Papamoa is for sale with my company, but the vendors would be keen to let it. I'll get Hubster to find out more and then I'll PM you with the details.

I posted some photos on the main site of the Mount this weekend which should cheer you up!

We have 4 kids, 5, 8, 12 and 15 and bought our 2 dogs with us too!

How about you? How old are yours? Anything you want to know you can send a PM now you have 3+ posts to your name.

Oh Cornwall for a bit & London prior to that.

Best wishes.

Caroline

Last edited by Am Loolah; Dec 2nd 2007 at 9:25 am. Reason: Forgot where I'd come from ... not literally!
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

I loved the Mount & Papamoa but would not be based over there so I think it will be practical to live Tauranga side. Also I would be working over a wide area of the Bay of plenty (fingers crossed, may find out this week!!). We are from the Preston area with 2 children, 5 & 10.
i visited the area but with only a short time, a quick drive around a few areas can,t get a true feel.
i liked the look of bethlehem, was recommended Katikati (not sure),
I would PM if I knew how to, not to worry, any recommendations appreciated,
thanks.

Originally Posted by krissie
hiya..we had a good look around the area...all depends where u will be working really...if you get a job over the mount/papamoa then ur probably better off on that side of the water. we picked a place called Ohauiti. my hubby works in the centre and i work in another town nearby...10 mins drive...no traffic!!! what age kids are you looking at schools for?? my 3 are all at different schools...one primary, one intermediate and one college!! which school, (primary) would depend on where you live as you have to be in the zone. not with the older ones tho'. where in nw are you? pm me if you want any more specific info (school names etc) n good luck with the move!!!
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 8:46 pm
Banned

James1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to allJames1st is a name known to all

Hi Richard,

We have been in Tauranga for just over two years now and are loving it.

Bethlehem is very popular with the average house costing a little more over there but it has excellent Schools, good shops, and, as you might well have to travel the bay with your job, it is good for accessing the main roads.

The very best thing to do is to rent for a year and get a good feel for the area and the schools particularly at the present time as house prices could well be on the way down or at least static for a while.

With rentals the houses are usually let unfurnished but as this area is also a tourist destination you can pick up furnished ' Holiday' rentals on the Mount or in Papamoa - these become quite expensive in December, and January but from the end of Feb onwards you can get a reasonable deal.

Renting is easy over here with either a fixed term or periodic rental - you give just 3 weeks notice.

If you require any further info please ask away or PM me.

Regards,

James.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 9:33 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Richard S

I would PM if I knew how to, not to worry
to send a PM, simply left click over the persons user name. A menu will appear. Left click on the 2nd option down and a new window will open. That is the PM messaging box.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

welshstevey has a spectacular aura aboutwelshstevey has a spectacular aura aboutwelshstevey has a spectacular aura about

Hi

Bet your glad to be escaping a miserable Manchester then, my family originate from Denton.
We have been over in Papamoa for about 3 months now, we have 3 kids (12,10,10) and are enjoying some great weather at the mo!!!
Just been through the whole rental,school, settling thing.

If you want any info or photos etc etc just PM me.

Cheers