British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Coming for reccie Oct for a month Hints & Tips Please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/coming-reccie-oct-month-hints-tips-please-628651/)

AngelaandJim Sep 1st 2009 8:32 pm

Coming for reccie Oct for a month Hints & Tips Please

Hi all,

We have finally sorted out our flights and will arrive in Auckland on 16th Oct and return on 15th Nov. We could do with some hints and tips for spending our time wisely :thumbup: Our first priority is trying to secure Jim a job. We will need to find a cheap but decent car hire company as for accomodation we were thinking of finding somewhere wherever we are on that day. Is that a good idea?
Can I ask what other people did on their reccie's

All help gratefully received :thumbsup:

Angela & Jim

MnB Sep 1st 2009 9:19 pm

Re: Coming for reccie Oct for a month Hints & Tips Please

Originally Posted by AngelaandJim (Post 7895041)
Hi all,

We have finally sorted out our flights and will arrive in Auckland on 16th Oct and return on 15th Nov. We could do with some hints and tips for spending our time wisely :thumbup: Our first priority is trying to secure Jim a job. We will need to find a cheap but decent car hire company as for accomodation we were thinking of finding somewhere wherever we are on that day. Is that a good idea?
Can I ask what other people did on their reccie's

All help gratefully received :thumbsup:

Angela & Jim

Wohoo Angela!!!! Brilliant that you've managed to extend your trip!!:thumbsup:
Sure you won't regret it! We spent first 2 nights in Auckland, sorted car hire when there then just headed off....no pre booked accom, no problems finding good places to stay, so go for it!! ...:thumbsup:
Will chat soon B x

P2L Sep 1st 2009 10:38 pm

Glad to see that your plans are progressing so well.

Where are you planning on going during your reccie? If you post your rough itinerary then folks will be able to give you the 'knowledge' on each area ;);)

Look forward to reading your reply

lardyl Sep 1st 2009 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by MnB (Post 7895218)
Wohoo Angela!!!! Brilliant that you've managed to extend your trip!!:thumbsup:
Sure you won't regret it! We spent first 2 nights in Auckland, sorted car hire when there then just headed off....no pre booked accom, no problems finding good places to stay, so go for it!! ...:thumbsup:
Will chat soon B x

Should be OK for accomodation as it will be early summer and the kids go back to school at about that time so there'll be vacancies about.
Map out the country with Top10 parks and go from there is my advice.
Most of them that I have stayed in were pretty good and good value - just make sure you get their discount card.
They don't have a park on the North Shore any more but that park is still OK, it did right for us for a week or so when we arrived in the country, its on Northcote Road, by the Pizza Hut just off the Northern Motorway.
Good luck.

AngelaandJim Sep 1st 2009 11:01 pm

Jim had a 'master plan' pmsl but that is out the window now we are coming for 31 days woohooooo we are staying in rockville for 2 days when we arrive then god knows :rofl: would like to see as much of the North Island as possible.What do you good people suggest ?
Been looking at the Top 10 my trusted friend Barbara put me on to them they look good

Angela ;)

PatLiz Sep 2nd 2009 6:02 pm

We're on our reccie trip at the same time as you, though for slightly shorter. We leave UK on October 16th, and are in NZ until November 4th (having 5 days in Hobart on way home for my step-brother's wedding).

We're staying in Auckland for the first 3-4 days, then have a motorhome booked for 15 days to tour North Island.

Planning 'extended' stops in Tauranga, Rotorua, Napier and Palmerston North as these are a few of the places we're considering settling in.

We hope to see a few 'open homes' to get an idea of what's available in our price-range. Patrick also had a job-interview in Tauranga, and will no doubt try to find a few more jobs he'd be interested in before we go.

I've been trying to do the same, but Teaching seems to be virtually impossible to even apply for until your registered, and I haven't quite got all my paper-work together to send off to NZQA yet. Ahhh well.

AngelaandJim Sep 2nd 2009 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by PatLiz (Post 7897807)
We're on our reccie trip at the same time as you, though for slightly shorter. We leave UK on October 16th, and are in NZ until November 4th (having 5 days in Hobart on way home for my step-brother's wedding).

We're staying in Auckland for the first 3-4 days, then have a motorhome booked for 15 days to tour North Island.

Planning 'extended' stops in Tauranga, Rotorua, Napier and Palmerston North as these are a few of the places we're considering settling in.

We hope to see a few 'open homes' to get an idea of what's available in our price-range. Patrick also had a job-interview in Tauranga, and will no doubt try to find a few more jobs he'd be interested in before we go.

I've been trying to do the same, but Teaching seems to be virtually impossible to even apply for until your registered, and I haven't quite got all my paper-work together to send off to NZQA yet. Ahhh well.

Hey

we may see you there. We are looking at the area from tauranga to palmerston north so far for settling but think we will take it as it comes. thats great your hubby got interview. what does he do? hope you can get all your forms in soon and get yourself registered. can i ask who you rented your motorhome with we were toying with this idea but think we may hire a car and find places along the way

hope all goes well for you

Angela;)

Cadibel Sep 2nd 2009 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by AngelaandJim (Post 7895506)
Jim had a 'master plan' pmsl but that is out the window now we are coming for 31 days woohooooo we are staying in rockville for 2 days when we arrive then god knows :rofl: would like to see as much of the North Island as possible.What do you good people suggest ?
Been looking at the Top 10 my trusted friend Barbara put me on to them they look good

Angela ;)

I would also recommend the Kiwi parks - bit cheaper than the Top 10, so if on a budget, these may be a better bet (family holiday parks are good too).

I would book your car hire in advance as you get better deals. We did Hertz and they are right at the airport - wud recommend.

PatLiz Sep 2nd 2009 7:22 pm

We're renting our motorhome through Apollo. It was the cheapest we could find as we wanted a 6 berth.

We're taking our 1 year old son with us, so needed somewhere comfortable for him, and figured at least once we've unpacked we won't need to keep living out of a suitcase for the 3 weeks we're there.

We haven't booked places to stay yet, but probably will for Tauranga and Rotorua. Tauranga, I want to stay at the Mount Manganui resort at the base of the mountain, as I'd like to walk around the mountain.

Rotorua it's illegal to just 'park-up', so will look into booking somewhere nice to stay round there. Everywhere else will be just as we come, so that we can keep a loose schedule.

In terms of jobs - Patrick is a pharmacist, and I'm a Primary Teacher. What do you do?

AngelaandJim Sep 2nd 2009 7:59 pm

Hi

We own and run an MOT Station. We thought the motorhome sounded a good idea so we did not have to live out of suitcase and it would have been easier as our 16yr old son was supposed to be coming with us but he has got an apprentiship so cant get the time of :(

We are now going to look into the difference cost wise between hiring a motorhome or hiring car and avarage cost of places to stay. We have booked the agents place for 2 nights when we arrive.

are we there yet :rofl:

Tomsk Sep 2nd 2009 8:06 pm

Glad to hear you're planning on fitting in visits to my home town :thumbup:
Hope you have a great time here in Rotorua.

AngelaandJim Sep 2nd 2009 8:08 pm

Hi Cate

Would like to meet up with loads of people so if your up for it let me know ;)

PatLiz Sep 2nd 2009 8:32 pm

maybe we could organise something for all of us to meet up in Rotorua.

Also, my baby is turning 1 on the 25th October, and I think we'll be in Rotorua then, so was wondering if you know of any child-friendly play parks or soft-play areas around?

AngelaandJim Sep 2nd 2009 8:35 pm

It would be great for us all to meet up the more the merrier :thumbup:

irnbru14 Sep 2nd 2009 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by AngelaandJim (Post 7895506)

Angela ;)

I would suggest 31 days in Wellington would be best :rofl::p

Good luck but don't try and do too much, target the places you think you may want to consider living in and spend a good few days in each of these, also try and make it a proper holiday too not just a busy running around research trip :thumbup: