Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Coming over for a look around

Coming over for a look around

Old Aug 26th 2009, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

daveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nice
Default Coming over for a look around

Hello everyone

We are fairly new on here, but have been reading a bit, and doing our research.
Looking to move over next yr if we can - job dependant, which is my main point.
We are coming over for a look around for our honeymoon in October, so have written to all the supermarkets (that's what i do) and Life Pharmacy, hoping to get an interview.
Warehouse have replied, so that's a good start.

Can anyone advise of any recruitment agencies that would be worth talking to (done Hudson) ??
I know they tend to 'talk the talk' a lot, but if they can get me what i need...
I don't want to have to go the expensive personal job search agents if i can really help it.

Who else is there on the retail side after the supermarkets and Pharmacies (who else is there after Life buy PharmacyBrands ??) that would have buying offices in country and not part of a bigger concern overseas ??

Any thoughts most gratefully received
Old Aug 26th 2009, 9:42 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coming over for a look around

Hi
I think Life Pharmacy is probably your biggest now ( they bought up some smaller nes a couple of weeks ago) and The Warehouse seem to be trying desperately to break into that market too but don't see much foot traffic in the stores where there are pharmacies placed at the moment, may be as the idea catches on more .....

the only other relatively big ones I am aware of, are Radius and Unichem.

Lots are owner owned & operated here, so maybe worth picking an area of the country and blitzing every pharmacy in it?

What exactly is it that you do btw? Are you a Pharmacist?
Old Aug 26th 2009, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

daveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nicedaveandsarah is just really nice

Hi P2L

No. I'm a Buyer for Morrisons over here. I just work for the Pharmacy team buying OTC meds.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 11:26 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

There are a few John's Phramacies - but don't know if they are local of Nationwide? They are franchises.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

PatLiz is a jewel in the roughPatLiz is a jewel in the roughPatLiz is a jewel in the roughPatLiz is a jewel in the roughPatLiz is a jewel in the rough

My DH has been doing some research into pharmacies, as he is one; and I believe there is a law preventing large chains of pharmacies like we see over here.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 10:55 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by PatLiz
My DH has been doing some research into pharmacies, as he is one; and I believe there is a law preventing large chains of pharmacies like we see over here.
Dunno if this will help re. the law but I'll bung up the link anyway.

A company may only operate up to five pharmacies. Similarly a person (a pharmacist) may only operate or hold a majority interest in five pharmacies. (ref s55F)
Old Aug 28th 2009, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

tiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the rough

Hope you have a lovely honeymoon by then the weather should've warmed up guite a bit . Why do you want to live here though surely there are far better places than this back water? I cannot wait to get out and am literally counting down the hours til the plane takes off!

NZ was the biggest and most costly mistake of my life, still it could've been a lot worse i could have been married to a Kiwi and stuck here forever!
Old Aug 28th 2009, 4:39 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiri
NZ was the biggest and most costly mistake of my life, still it could've been a lot worse i could have been married to a Kiwi and stuck here forever!
So maybe a visit first would have been a good idea to see if it suited.
Still, at least your first post may well be your last aye?
Old Aug 28th 2009, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you have a lovely honeymoon by then the weather should've warmed up guite a bit . Why do you want to live here though surely there are far better places than this back water? I cannot wait to get out and am literally counting down the hours til the plane takes off!

Sounds like lurking in the worlds backwater there must be a Kiwi who doesn't know just how lucky they are.

Best wishes for your future Tiri (interesting name for someone who doesn't like NZ)
Old Aug 28th 2009, 4:52 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

In the interests of balance, maybe you would like to start a thread and tell us why you are wanting to leave, and where you are going, and what you are looking for.

Old Aug 28th 2009, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

tiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the rough

I've been wanting to leave for some time now. I was giving it one more winter just to see if things got better but they didn't so I think I've given it a fair go but it isn't the end of the world...well, it is...yeah, you know what I mean

I'm just glad to be going - fed up with being poor, fed up of being cold, fed up with the smallness of it all, fed up with the expense, fed up with working in the dark ages, want to get out there and enjoy life again.

Why Tiri? it's not just a Maori word, the world doesn't revolve around New Zealand!

To the OP I'd like to say have a great holiday, enjoy the scenery and then go home again and have a good life.

By the way I LOVE Morrisons! it's a wonderful supermarket and I can say hand on heart there is NOTHING remotely as good in New Zealand. OOOOoooohhhh.....no more Pak'nSave, gosh I am so NOT going to miss it!
Old Aug 28th 2009, 6:15 am

What a lovely choice of destination for your honeymoon. We came over in 2006 for a 3 week reccie and almost a year to the day later made the move. It's now coming up to 2.5 years and we love it. I can honestly say hand on heart, I have never had a "What have we done ... " moment. We did lots of research before we came and when we were here (thanks BE!) and I think we made absolutely the right choice of area for us. But we were fortunate to not be dictated to by a job offer for where we chose.

The weather is far superior to Cornwall where we had spent the previous 10 years. The people are great, our street is so friendly and quiet - well it was quiet before we arrived! And we also have many ex-pats in the area which is a lovely support network to have.

Ultimately it must be your decision and whatever feels right for you. Important to remember nothing is for ever - if you change your mind - go somewhere else!
Old Aug 28th 2009, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

I agree, when you've made it that far it's no big deal going somewhere else or home again.

Was it easier for you though being married to a Kiwi? did you have less adjusting to do than others did ? I'm interested to know if loving your man makes it easier to love his country, does it make you see it through his eyes?
Old Aug 28th 2009, 6:33 am

I agree, when you've made it that far it's no big deal going somewhere else or home again.

Was it easier for you though being married to a Kiwi? did you have less adjusting to do than others did ? I'm interested to know if loving your man makes it easier to love his country, does it make you see it through his eyes?
No. He hadn't lived in NZ since he was 7 years old, nearly 40 years ago! Old bugger! He couldn't really care where he lived and knew no more about it from having been away so long than anyone else really. He doesn't sound Kiwi, has no family left here etc, etc. Only real difference being that he and the kids didn't have to get residency. You must have read a lot of threads to know I'm married to a Kiwi - don't miss your plane now!
Old Aug 28th 2009, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

GinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really nice

I've been wanting to leave for some time now. I was giving it one more winter just to see if things got better but they didn't so I think I've given it a fair go but it isn't the end of the world...well, it is...yeah, you know what I mean

I'm just glad to be going - fed up with being poor, fed up of being cold, fed up with the smallness of it all, fed up with the expense, fed up with working in the dark ages, want to get out there and enjoy life again.

Why Tiri? it's not just a Maori word, the world doesn't revolve around New Zealand!

To the OP I'd like to say have a great holiday, enjoy the scenery and then go home again and have a good life.

By the way I LOVE Morrisons! it's a wonderful supermarket and I can say hand on heart there is NOTHING remotely as good in New Zealand. OOOOoooohhhh.....no more Pak'nSave, gosh I am so NOT going to miss it!
I can't wait to get to that "backwater" but then maybe I'm just the other end of the spectrum. Having been back in the UK for over 20 years I can honestly say that there have been many days that I would think longingly of the gentler pace of life. From what I've heard I'm going to miss the supermarkets but think that life must consist of more than shopping. When I lived in Tauranga we could go to the beach after work - while living in Palmerston North we were really close to the ranges to go tramping. I guess it depends on what you believe is quality of life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.