Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

coming to Nz Sept to look for a plumbing job /schools/areas - any thoughts please?

coming to Nz Sept to look for a plumbing job /schools/areas - any thoughts please?

Old Aug 19th 2011, 11:30 am
Just Joined

IainandAnita is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking coming to Nz Sept to look for a plumbing job /schools/areas - any thoughts please?

Hi,
I am in New Zealand as from the 9th September for around 3 weeks in order to attend some interviews to do with Plumbing and Gas Engineering and to look at Schools for my child and to check out areas to live in etc.
My family in Christchurch have recommended Trade me and Seek Employment agencies but has any one got any more that I could try. I do not want to spend 3 weeks and still get no employment as I am relying on the job for points.
I am an owner of a Plumbing Company in Devon and realize that I will have to work for a New Zealand Employer which I am happy to do.
I am then going home to the UK to collect my wife and child and bring us all out to New Zealand and our new life..
How easy is it to get entry to Schools and when is the best time to register my 14 year old who is currently attending our local Grammar School.
What areas do I need to look out for regarding Schools?

IAIN
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

johnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nice
Default Re: UK to NZ September 2011

Originally Posted by IainandAnita
Hi,
I am in New Zealand as from the 9th September for around 3 weeks in order to attend some interviews to do with Plumbing and Gas Engineering and to look at Schools for my child and to check out areas to live in etc.
My family in Christchurch have recommended Trade me and Seek Employment agencies but has any one got any more that I could try. I do not want to spend 3 weeks and still get no employment as I am relying on the job for points.
I am an owner of a Plumbing Company in Devon and realize that I will have to work for a New Zealand Employer which I am happy to do.
I am then going home to the UK to collect my wife and child and bring us all out to New Zealand and our new life..
How easy is it to get entry to Schools and when is the best time to register my 14 year old who is currently attending our local Grammar School.

IAIN
If you're in the area then get a prospectus from the local school, you can search on www.minedu.govt.nz for schools in different areas. Also check the ERO reports which are linked from the schools' pages you'll find on the minedu website.
If you end up in a city or place where there's a high demand you'll probably find the schools have enrollment zones (=catchment area in UK speak).
hope this helps get you started,
John.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

IAIN
Hi Iain,
Try contacting some companies directly. I did a quick google search for plumbers Christchurch and it gave a list of plumbers and companies. Walton plumbing, for example, have an employment page inviting applications- www.waltonplumbing.co.nz. . If you are going to be in the country, then you might try business groups who meet early mornings. This can often lead to new introductions and contacts. Feel free to contact me if you need additional help with this. Following the earthquake here, plumbers seem to be in short supply. Good luck with the search.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 10:35 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by chc4me
Hi Iain,
Try contacting some companies directly. I did a quick google search for plumbers Christchurch and it gave a list of plumbers and companies. Walton plumbing, for example, have an employment page inviting applications- www.waltonplumbing.co.nz. . If you are going to be in the country, then you might try business groups who meet early mornings. This can often lead to new introductions and contacts. Feel free to contact me if you need additional help with this. Following the earthquake here, plumbers seem to be in short supply. Good luck with the search.
However, chc4me, plumbers are not on the NZIS shortages lists, not even the Canterbury earthquake shortage list.

Word on the ground ,within the trade ,is that the reason for few plumbing companies wanting to work in the area is the question of timely payment . Bearing in mind that due to recession , construction is slow & tradesmen have found themsleves on short time elsewhere in Nz , this is a bit sad all round.

I'll move these posts into a thread of their own .

Last edited by BEVS; Aug 28th 2011 at 10:47 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 10:53 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: coming to Nz Sept to look for a plumbing job /schools/areas - any thoughts please

Hi,

IAIN
Fair play to you. I take it you have gone through the PGDB already to have your quals pre-assessed?

As stated , plumbers are not in shortage. You may get lucky in Christchurch due to the earthquake and if you do that NZIS & the Dept of Labour will approve the job offer. A post to another UK plumber HERE