British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Coming on holiday/fact finding (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/coming-holiday-fact-finding-869889/)

Bobogib Jan 1st 2016 7:49 am

Coming on holiday/fact finding

Morning,

Reletively new to the site and all my posts up until now have been in the Canada forum. That being said, my wife and I are also considering NZ as a place to emmigrate to. There are many reasons for wanting to move, but the main one is more space an quality of life for our family. Anyway, enough about that, main reason for the post is that we will be visiting for a friends wedding from Feb - Mar for 2 weeks.

We are flying into Auckland and out of Christchurch and looking to do as much as possible on the way. As well as the tourist stuff we are hoping to use it as a fact finding trip, and as such looking for advice and to speak to people, if possible (thats if you don't mind kids).

Any advice would be greatfully recieved, as would suggestions for things to do while we are over.

Justcol Jan 1st 2016 8:57 am

Re: Coming on holiday/fact finding

it'd help folk if you had an idea of where you think you might settle, most often a job will dictate where you can and cant live.

there's no point in chatting with someone in Otorohanga if you can only live in Aux.

Bobogib Jan 1st 2016 10:03 am

Thanks for the reply, hadn't thought of that. There are a few areas that I could go into;

I'm a qualified vehicle mechanic, Aerospace technician and my current role could be considered an office manager, I'm in the RAF so it's a little hard to give a direct comparisson although I will try if you would like more information. As such I think I would be employable in a wider range of places. As for where we would like to settle, I want to stay away from Auckland, as much as I like large town living, I think It would be too busy for me. I keep getting drawn to the South Island as property prices seem to be a little lower from what I've seen.

MrsFychan Jan 1st 2016 7:44 pm

have you looked into what visa you may be eligible for?

Justcol Jan 1st 2016 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Bobogib (Post 11825496)
. As for where we would like to settle, I want to stay away from Auckland.

I like you already

Bobogib Jan 1st 2016 8:09 pm

All three are classed as skilled, so it would be under the skilled migrant class.

I'm glad I've got a few options available work wise as that is my biggest fear, making the move and being unable to find employment.

I've just completed my degree (although waiting ratification of results and graduation) which centers around strategic management, HR and aviation. This again may open up a greater area of employment.

I've carried out the points check and get 155 without a job offer so happy I could put in an EOI, I would just like get first hand advice on what I can do to turn my trip over into a recce trip.

BEVS Jan 1st 2016 9:07 pm

Thanks for the reply, hadn't thought of that. There are a few areas that I could go into;

I'm a qualified vehicle mechanic, Aerospace technician and my current role could be considered an office manager, I'm in the RAF so it's a little hard to give a direct comparison although I will try if you would like more information. As such I think I would be employable in a wider range of places.

For NZ immigration purposes, the qualification and work experience must match any job offer. You are probably already aware but the quals must match those listed by NZIS or otherwise assessed as being of the NZ equivalent level by NZQA.

nikkijane88 Jan 2nd 2016 2:48 am

Have you looked into applying for the NZ Air Force?

Bobogib Jan 2nd 2016 7:38 am

Originally Posted by nikkijane88 (Post 11825921)
Have you looked into applying for the NZ Air Force?

I have. I need to email the recruiment team as there is no role that is equivalent to what I currently do. It's always there as an option to try.

nikkijane88 Jan 2nd 2016 7:57 am

It can be a lengthy process but if it worked out could be perfect as you would get residency from the job offer. We were 2 years from starting to my husband landing here, but each situation will be different. He put extended notice to the raf and when we first applied there was a delay of about 3 months as they had to get extra people on the NZ recruitment side

Bobogib Jan 2nd 2016 8:07 am

Nice to hear someone has made the jump over. How does your husband find the RNZAF? Unfortunately it's going to be a long process for me, caught in the standard forces pension trap. Got just under 4 years till I can get mine and the money is going to help pay for immigration.

Bobogib Jan 2nd 2016 8:43 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 11825794)
For NZ immigration purposes, the qualification and work experience must match any job offer. You are probably already aware but the quals must match those listed by NZIS or otherwise assessed as being of the NZ equivalent level by NZQA.

Yeah, I'm going to have to send my stuff off to NZQA. While a BA doesn't need to be, it hasn't been issued by one of the provider listed. Likewise, with the trade qualifications I can't find any reference to NVQs.

nikkijane88 Jan 2nd 2016 9:08 am

It is different, we find the lower rank structure lagging behind. He has been fortunate that management pushed to increase his seniority and this went through the system. Cpl in the uk is closer to sgt level here so that was a shock to the system. We left at his 11 year point so lost out on the bonus he would have gotten this year but we were years from the pension side so it was a decision we took as the job was here now.

It's difficult to say exactly as every job will be different but the Air Force here is extremely small

Purrball Jan 2nd 2016 6:48 pm

I'm a qualified vehicle mechanic, Aerospace technician and my current role could be considered an office manager

Might also be worth checking out any regional opportunities in the local or corporate airline industry. Air Nelson, for instance. Or in Queenstown.

For roles like this, it wouldn't hurt to make some direct approaches to potential employers with a well-written covering letter/email and CV.

e.g. http://www.aerospace.co.nz/company/careers

Bobogib Jan 2nd 2016 9:01 pm

Thanks for all the info guys, definitely given me things to look into.

Regarding our trip over, I've got the itinerary sorted for the first week and will be staying in Auckland, Rotorua, Napier and Wellington before heading onto the South Island. Not really got much planned for the S. Island other than the 2 days near Picton for my friends wedding before heading down to Christchurch.

Does anyone have any hidden gems that I should be looking at, or as mentioned in my first post would be willing to get together for a coffee and discuss pros and cons etc? I would definitely like to try and use this trip for more than a holiday.