Reload this Page >

Coming to Christchurch

Coming to Christchurch

Old Jan 2nd 2013, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

tomasvien is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Coming to Christchurch

Hi all.
Firs of all i would like to introduce my self.
Originally from Lithuania but have been living in London for over 14 years.4 months ago me and my miss decided to relocate to New Zealand and started job hunting. After to months of research i did managed to get a permanent job offer in Christchurch with a company called Fletcher Constructions. Just 2 weeks ago our visas has been approved and a flight confirmed on 23rd January.

Would be nice to get any advice what we need to do to settle in Christchurch,

Many thanks in advance!!!
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 5:17 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coming to Christchurch

Hi Tomasvien,

My partner and I are also making the move to Christchurch at the end of this month. We have been to the south island before for 7 weeks last year. We both love the place and want to give it a go and are very excited about it!

A couple of things to think about is accommodation in Chch. Since the earthquake it has been difficult to find decent places to rent as demand is so high. Generally speaking if you have no pets or kids it will make it easier.

Another thing to think about is a car. I personally feel it's a must, especially for exploring the island. Public transport is OK but you'll do better with a car.

That's all I can think of for now. Check out the following threads for more info:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=773367
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=774133

Good luck!
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Hi Tomasvien,

My partner and I are also making the move to Christchurch at the end of this month. We have been to the south island before for 7 weeks last year. We both love the place and want to give it a go and are very excited about it!

A couple of things to think about is accommodation in Chch. Since the earthquake it has been difficult to find decent places to rent as demand is so high. Generally speaking if you have no pets or kids it will make it easier.

Another thing to think about is a car. I personally feel it's a must, especially for exploring the island. Public transport is OK but you'll do better with a car.

That's all I can think of for now. Check out the following threads for more info:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=773367
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=774133

Good luck!
Thanks for reply Pom_Chch!!!
First 6 weeks i will get accommodation provided by the company, plus a car. Lucky me

Have you got a job offer too? And in which field you`ll be working?
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tomasvien
First 6 weeks i will get accommodation provided by the company, plus a car. Lucky me

Any of you guys do meet ups over there as i would like to join you after 23rd Jan and my partner will join me after few days later. Will help me to get familiar with new location. Obviously if i can
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 8:30 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Good going!

My OH has a job lined up in IT and I have some interviews set up for when I arrive. I'm a physio so will be looking for work in this field. We're both really excited about it and now Christmas and New Year are done we both just want to get on with it
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 8:34 pm
She'll be right

Any of you guys do meet ups over there as i would like to join you after 23rd Jan and my partner will join me after few days later. Will help me to get familiar with new location. Obviously if i can
The OH and I will definitely be up for a beer or two! We're quite sociable people and wouldn't say no to a meet up. When we first arrive we will be a little out of the way in Leithfield staying with OH's relatives until we find a place of our own.

BTW did you know you'll be arriving in time for the Kiwi beer festival in Chch? Got a little excited when I found this out!

http://greatkiwibeerfestival.co.nz/
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 9:58 pm
NZ wannabe

Synky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to all

Ok now I've found out there's a beer festival we are definitely coming there! We love real ale round here.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 9:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Synky
Ok now I've found out there's a beer festival we are definitely coming there! We love real ale round here.
I am not sure where i'll be staying yet, will find out after 14th of Jan. My employer will provide to us accommodation for the first six weeks and then we have to find our own.
I've got a contract with with one of the biggest company's in construction industry as a contract supervisor. The biggest doesn't mean the best ).
I am coming on 25th of Jan to ChCh so will have a weekend before i'll start and my girlfriend will join me within couple of days.
Lucky me the beer festival is in Feb , not Jan )
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 2:55 pm
NZ wannabe

Synky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to all

Sounds like you have a good package. I'm in water&waste so hopefully I can find something suitable in ChCh. Well, my recruitment consultant anyway!
Old Jan 14th 2013, 9:09 pm
UK to NZ to OZ

sarahinnz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all.
Firs of all i would like to introduce my self.
Originally from Lithuania but have been living in London for over 14 years.4 months ago me and my miss decided to relocate to New Zealand and started job hunting. After to months of research i did managed to get a permanent job offer in Christchurch with a company called Fletcher Constructions. Just 2 weeks ago our visas has been approved and a flight confirmed on 23rd January.

Would be nice to get any advice what we need to do to settle in Christchurch,

Many thanks in advance!!!
Hi
I lived in CHCH for 7 years, great city but it has a way to go before being the City it used to be before the earthquakes. Suburbs have been zoned are where its safer to live on firmer ground where little damage was done to properties. West of Chch and about 30 mins commute time are areas that have become desirable places to live since the quakes and more and more people are deciding to make the move out to the areas like Rolleston/West Melton/ Lincoln. It all comes down to personal choice but depending on what lifestyle you like depends on where you live.
Chch is a friendly city though and the kiwi people are welcoming, honest and proud people of there heritage. Good luck with your move
Old Jan 14th 2013, 9:50 pm
NZ wannabe

Thanks, the positive stories are good to hear.