Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Come on, lets have a moan!

Come on, lets have a moan!

Old Dec 4th 2005, 8:03 pm
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Come on, lets have a moan!

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
OK youv'e lost me. What is wrong with saying Proudly owned and operated by Kiwi's. And if you think birds are running the shop then you must of been smoking something. :scared:
Switch on the TV in the UK and it is buy British this and that. Kiwi's in NZ are proud to be Kiwi's nothing wrong in that. Personally I think it is great that people think that their country think it is the best in the world, less likely to throw litter all over it then!. One of the first things that struck me in the UK is the lack of national pride here (unless you count the National front).
I don't hate the UK, there are things I dislike here and thinks I dislike about NZ,AUS, France, Italy (my favourite place in the world) and every other county has things anyone could dislike.
But hey! If you don't like living in NZ then leave and make it a nicer place for everyone else to enjoy!
Kaz (sitting back and waiting for the fallout)
Hi Kaz

It just 'struck' me as anti anyone who wasn't Kiwi. It didn't seem like a 'pride in your country' thing which I understand completely as in the UK the English don't even bother on St. George's Day and it's not until we leave we suddenly get all patriotic so I get what you mean there. I just got other vibes.
Old Dec 4th 2005, 8:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mumomonty
Hi Kaz

It just 'struck' me as anti anyone who wasn't Kiwi. It didn't seem like a 'pride in your country' thing which I understand completely as in the UK the English don't even bother on St. George's Day and it's not until we leave we suddenly get all patriotic so I get what you mean there. I just got other vibes.
It's probably not about pride in their country, more economically based. If you are a Kiwi and you want to keep your country's economy healthy, you wanna make sure that most of the money will stay in NZ. Thus, if you spend your money at locally owned businesses, you support your own community. But how does one know whether a shop (or any other business) is locally owned? The solution is what you have seen and misinterpreted as chauvinism.....
Old Dec 4th 2005, 8:11 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mumomonty
Hi Kaz

I dont think its meant to come across as being "anti anyone who isnt Kiwi". It really is just something thats come about by trying to encourage people in NZ to buy NZ made etc & I know thats something that many countries around the world try to push too. Maybe this time your vibes let you down or should I say led you down the wrong path
Old Dec 4th 2005, 8:20 pm
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by Toontje
It's probably not about pride in their country, more economically based. If you are a Kiwi and you want to keep your country's economy healthy, you wanna make sure that most of the money will stay in NZ. Thus, if you spend your money at locally owned businesses, you support your own community. But how does one know whether a shop (or any other business) is locally owned? The solution is what you have seen and misinterpreted as chauvinism.....
i would not have made that interpretation.... the shop in question is a "cornershop" ie a "dairy" (sic) we can presume? Correct me if I am wrong but i believe these are owned by indepedant operators.....I cant imagine a chain of NZ Dairies would catch the eye of any overseas conglomerate for aquisition - they are not exactly thriving places of commerce...

This being the case there would be no overseas ownership issue to counter, the reality being that what the signage is _actually_ saying, albeit by implication, is "shop here, we are not owned by asians".... and I can see why people could take offence to such a statement.

Old Dec 4th 2005, 8:22 pm
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

If i saw that i'd say good on ya... we cant do that here or we would be hauled up in front of the judge for being racist. nothing wrong in being proud of you country and of who you are, seems to me that we are quickly becoming the minority here with the british people and way of life slowly being eroded and frowned upon.....

when we go to nz i know i wont be shouting from the rooftops hey im english and you should do it all my way, i will fit in and hope to become part of the community... thats my 2pence worth....

sue
Old Dec 4th 2005, 8:36 pm
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
If i saw that i'd say good on ya... we cant do that here or we would be hauled up in front of the judge for being racist. nothing wrong in being proud of you country and of who you are, seems to me that we are quickly becoming the minority here with the british people and way of life slowly being eroded and frowned upon.....

when we go to nz i know i wont be shouting from the rooftops hey im english and you should do it all my way, i will fit in and hope to become part of the community... thats my 2pence worth....

sue
it comes down to context

Old Dec 4th 2005, 10:05 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by turkeytickler
i would not have made that interpretation.... the shop in question is a "cornershop" ie a "dairy" (sic) we can presume? Correct me if I am wrong but i believe these are owned by indepedant operators.....I cant imagine a chain of NZ Dairies would catch the eye of any overseas conglomerate for aquisition - they are not exactly thriving places of commerce...

This being the case there would be no overseas ownership issue to counter, the reality being that what the signage is _actually_ saying, albeit by implication, is "shop here, we are not owned by asians".... and I can see why people could take offence to such a statement.
Maybe we'll just never know because the original poster never went in to the shop. It could have been a kiwi shopkeeper of either asian or european descent (or Maori for that matter).

New World supermarkets also make a big thing of being proudly owned and operated by locals, don't see why dairies shouldn't be able to do the same.

On a similar note, the Green party would have a govt funded campaign for all of us to buy NZ made - in real economic terms that would plainly be discriminatory against asian countries and their workers.

Honestly, some people are their worst enemies, finding fault in everything!
Old Dec 4th 2005, 10:17 pm
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by southerner
Maybe we'll just never know because the original poster never went in to the shop. It could have been a kiwi shopkeeper of either asian or european descent (or Maori for that matter).

New World supermarkets also make a big thing of being proudly owned and operated by locals, don't see why dairies shouldn't be able to do the same.

On a similar note, the Green party would have a govt funded campaign for all of us to buy NZ made - in real economic terms that would plainly be discriminatory against asian countries and their workers.

Honestly, some people are their worst enemies, finding fault in everything!
yup - we can speculate all we like regarding the former...

Regarding the latter - that is a different kettle of fish entirely...new world are referring to its ownership within nz - ie it is not owned by an external company. My point was that given we were (probably) talking about a dairy - given that dairies are not the kind of enterprise that large multinationals hold, it is fair to assume that it is - just like every other dairy - owned by a kiwi (this is an assumption and i am open to correction) of any number of ethnic descents.

the distinction in the signage is therefore less innocent.

Old Dec 4th 2005, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
Does it matter where the shopkeeper originally came from? The UK? China? Poland? Timbuktu? It's obvious that the shopkeeper considers himself a Kiwi and that's what matters here. Not where he (or his forefathers) was/were born.....

I'm in the proces of moving to Austin, Texas. Here in Texas' capitol city is a strong awareness of shopping locally. I just had a look at the website of AIBA (Austin Independent Business Aliance) and apparently there are more reasons to shop locally. Have a look and decide for yourself whether it's worth it to shop locally.....

A.I.B.A.
Old Dec 4th 2005, 10:28 pm
turkeytickler

Does it matter where the shopkeeper originally came from? The UK? China? Poland? Timbuktu? It's obvious that the shopkeeper considers himself a Kiwi and that's what matters here. Not where he (or his forefathers) was/were born.....

I'm in the proces of moving to Austin, Texas. Here in Texas' capitol city is a strong awareness of shopping locally. I just had a look at the website of AIBA (Austin Independent Business Aliance) and apparently there are more reasons to shop locally. Have a look and decide for yourself whether it's worth it to shop locally.....

A.I.B.A.
to run a shop you would need at least a work visa - given the investment involved you would be likely to have permanent residence and more than likely citizenship, so all cornershops are therefore owned and operated by kiwis....

so the distinction is....?

Old Dec 4th 2005, 10:36 pm
Banned

homesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant future

why is it that loads of people who come to NZ turn kiwi straight away, i'm all for integration, but why is it people forget or ignore where they're from & who they are.
My boss is South African, came into work last week in an All Blacks top, she's only been here 5 months, whats all that about.
The shop owners may think they're kiwi's, but they're not, they're indian, whats wrong with that. Nothing at all. Be who you are i say.

A.I.B.A.