Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Come on, lets have a moan!

Come on, lets have a moan!

Old Nov 25th 2005, 1:10 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Come on, lets have a moan!

Originally Posted by scottish
My one and only moan about the UK.

Out and about today only to find a blizzard coming down from teh North. Roads are a nightmare, not just because of teh snow but bloody idiots that panic, slam on the brakes then get stuck going up a hill. I have a beaten up Corsa and had no worries with the roads but these idiots in their fancy cars just cant drive.

So thats me stuck in tonight when I should have been out in Glasgow with my mates!!

ps cant even get an Indian takeway
Ouch I feel for you there. It snowed here all day Wednesday & I was amazed at the fools on the road in front of me fish tailing everytime they touched the brakes. Cant believe they dont drive to the conditions & Im new at this driving in the snow Of course I do have a 4 wheel drive which helps a lot but so does slowing down a little too. Thankfully the snow has all gone now but did wake up to 12 deg F (-11 deg C) this morning & lining up outside Walmart at 5am this morning to get the early bird savings was horrid but well worth it when I got to the checkout with all my fantastic purchases
Shame the weather kept you from missing your mates, really hate it when that happens & always blame Mr Murphy for that.....he just has so much to answer for doesnt he
Old Nov 25th 2005, 5:56 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

The only good thing about the weather is the rugby tomorrow. Scottish news showed the All Blacks training - good they looked cold.

Oh Wallmart one of my favourite shops.

Hope your house is nice and toasty tonight. Belated Happy THanksgiving.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 6:25 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottish
The only good thing about the weather is the rugby tomorrow. Scottish news showed the All Blacks training - good they looked cold.

Oh Wallmart one of my favourite shops.

Hope your house is nice and toasty tonight. Belated Happy THanksgiving.
Thankyou Yes house is lovely & cosy but still not ready for this cold weather though.

Not so sure Walmart would have been your favourite place to be with all those crazies scrambling for a bargin. Im so glad I knew exactly what I wanted so I could grab it & get out quick

No doubt the AB's did look cold training out there in your weather but they are tough so lets hope the weather isnt a factor in the game. Should be a good one & only sorry I forgot to order it online so looks like I will have to make do with the right ups this week. Did manage to catch last weeks game & although it was my first live game in over a year I was a little disappointed with both the play & the ref. Didnt really have a problem with the first two sin binnings but for the life of me really dont have any idea what the third one was for Did think the defense of The AB's was good considering they were down to 13 men at one stage but sorry they let themselves down by being in that position. Lets hope that tomorrows game is much better & that both teams put on a good display of exciting rugby & pray that it is card free
Old Nov 26th 2005, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Winnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by shepslady
My turn to moan about something UK now then..............

People that bitch & moan about how English Curries are the be all end all etc......there are decent Indian Restaurants in NZ but that might be up to scratch to an English person because English Curries arent like traditional Indian curries so that would still give one something to moan about
Ohhhh, try Akbah's in Bradford, totally authentic, shall miss them in NZ! All the asians go there for a meal, must say something, and always full, no matter what day or time.

Another matter on a completely different subject, the UK......the bloody CSA, a big finger to them when I leave the country, what a load of tripe!!! Looking after the kids my a**e!
Old Nov 27th 2005, 9:34 pm
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by livewire
Never had Indian here but the Thai and Malay food is fantastic.

I still can't find a chippy that uses fresh potatoes (rather than frozen) and gives you lashings of vinegar, but their fish is usually delicious.

My local chippie has a reuptation as being one of the best around.... and the fish is precooked and reheated for heavens sake! I'd hate to find a BAD chippie!

Old Nov 27th 2005, 9:36 pm
turkeytickler

My turn to moan about something UK now then..............

People that bitch & moan about how English Curries are the be all end all etc......there are decent Indian Restaurants in NZ but that might be up to scratch to an English person because English Curries arent like traditional Indian curries so that would still give one something to moan about

I dont think anyone expects them to be like traditional indian curries (although you most certainly can get those in england)... the problem is that whilst UK curries are anglicised and taste wonderful, NZ curries try to be like english curries and fail.

Old Nov 27th 2005, 9:47 pm
turkeytickler

UK
- Smoke in pubs
- Closing Time at 11
- Agressive drivers in big cars
- Yob Culture
- Politicians
- Cloud
- Violence caused by too much cheap Stella

NZ
- No atmosphere in pubs
- Random closing time (including 5pm on a saturday night in Paihia!)
- Agressive drivers in ENORMOUS cars and UTEs
- No Culture
- Politicians
- Wind
- The cost of Stella

Old Nov 27th 2005, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

UK
Over crowded
Horrendous traffic
Cold and dark in winter months

NZ
Abysmal public transport system (car culture)
Excessive amounts of rain
Expensive in comparison to wages
Discourteous and aggresive driving
The 'NZ is the best in the world' propoganda
Old Nov 27th 2005, 11:12 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

Originally Posted by turkeytickler

... the problem is that whilst UK curries are anglicised and taste wonderful, NZ curries try to be like english curries and fail.
What utter rubbish...no one in NZ (except expats) wants things to taste the same as they do in the UK therefore one should expect NZ things, including curries to taste different

[QUOTE=turkeytickler
NZ
- Random closing time (including 5pm on a saturday night in Paihia!)
- No Culture
- Politicians
- Wind
- The cost of Stella[/QUOTE]

Random Closing Times-
NZ closing times may vary a little but no where in NZ is an official closing time 5pm. 6 o'clock closing stopped many many years ago so if your local closes at 5pm I would look at making an official complaint to someone but have no idea who
Culture-
If there is no culture then it might be time for you to head back to where there is some that suits you.
Politicians....geeze give us a break do you seriously think they are any different in the UK??? They are all a bunch of morons no matter where they are!

Wind-
Oh let me guess The UK is wind free huh

The cost of Stella
Learn to drink something else that fits your budget a little better!!

Originally Posted by hubbard

NZ
Abysmal public transport system (car culture)

The 'NZ is the best in the world' propoganda
Transport-
Your right NZ is a country where cars are very much a part of everyday lives so public transport is not the huge issue it is in the UK where a lot of people dont have the need to own their own vehicles. If thats the life you want you might try moving to Inner Wellington where many people dont own cars due to the lack of parking spaces!

To many of us native born NZ'ers NZ is the best place in the world to live but that does not mean that everyone thinks that. I think that the powers to be do push this idea of NZ a little too much but by believing everything you see on tv or read in brochures etc is rather like judging a book by its cover isnt it. Nothing like seeing it firsthand before making the decision to move there & for those of you who have found it not to their liking, the answer is simple....pack your bags & return to the place you enjoy living in.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

for those of you who have found it not to their liking, the answer is simple....pack your bags & return to the place you enjoy living in.
That's exactly what we did, and sounds like TurkeyTickler is planning on doing the same.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 11:43 pm
turkeytickler

What utter rubbish...no one in NZ (except expats) wants things to taste the same as they do in the UK therefore one should expect NZ things, including curries to taste different

I know kiwis who will tell you different. I know bland when i taste it (or not for that matter)

Random Closing Times-
NZ closing times may vary a little but no where in NZ is an official closing time 5pm. 6 o'clock closing stopped many many years ago so if your local closes at 5pm I would look at making an official complaint to someone but have no idea who

Local? there is no such thing... i have to get in a car to get to the nearest pub (and i live in a city) so that kind of defeats the object. I was referrring ot the pub in paihia that i tried to visit one saturday night whilst there on holiday a few years ago. We had a wild satruday night in our motel instead.... whoopeee

Culture-
If there is no culture then it might be time for you to head back to where there is some that suits you.

Yes - next May - bring it on.

Politicians....geeze give us a break do you seriously think they are any different in the UK??? They are all a bunch of morons no matter where they are!

I know- i made the same point about british politicians.

Wind-
Oh let me guess The UK is wind free huh
ummm compared to new zealand, yes.

The cost of Stella
Learn to drink something else that fits your budget a little better!!
The local beer is only marginally cheaper and frankly I get more flavour from the tap water.

Transport-
Your right NZ is a country where cars are very much a part of everyday lives so public transport is not the huge issue it is in the UK where a lot of people dont have the need to own their own vehicles. If thats the life you want you might try moving to Inner Wellington where many people dont own cars due to the lack of parking spaces!

Public transport most certainly is a huge issue for New Zealand - the recent petrol price rises and the media furore that followed prove that. This country is 100% car dependant - that is bad for society as a whole and makes a mockery of the 100% Pure image that new zealand presents to the rest of the world. It also turns ZN cities into carbon copies of the worst parts of the US. Another reason to leave.

To many of us native born NZ'ers NZ is the best place in the world to live but that does not mean that everyone thinks that. I think that the powers to be do push this idea of NZ a little too much but by believing everything you see on tv or read in brochures etc is rather like judging a book by its cover isnt it. Nothing like seeing it firsthand before making the decision to move there & for those of you who have found it not to their liking, the answer is simple....pack your bags & return to the place you enjoy living in.

Am doing

My post was deliberately balanced - I matched each moan (which was after all the topic of this thread) with an equivalent on the other side. You seem to have taken offence from only one side of my posts which indicates bias in its own right.

In any case - this thread is as it is named - it is clear from its title what its content should be so rather than telle me what i should or sould not do, why dont you read somthing else if you dont like it?

Old Nov 27th 2005, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

Out of interest Shepslady, you are incredibly pro NZ, far more so than I am pro the Uk (despite it being my home nation and a place I have a huge love of) how is it such a staunch Kiwi supporter is living overseas? This is no way an inflammatory question but it appears from your postings that you prefer NZ as a place to live so just wondered why you aren't living there and enjoying the lifestyle??
Old Nov 28th 2005, 12:00 am
livewire

an interesting question, often thought that myself

Old Nov 28th 2005, 1:16 am
Isle of Wight Chick

silvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bookemjano
NZ: Impossible to feed vegetarian kids! Loads of healthy veg around but not much to cook it with. We had takeaway tonight and I asked the guy in the shop to cook my lad's veggie burger away from the beefburgers he was doing - and he moaned about it but did it - then wrapped them all up together anyway!

Some enterprising soul please open up a vegetarian's supermarket here - you'll be millionaires!
hell yeah, im with u on that one. im vegan and my bro is veggie. when we first came here, all i could eat was soya based everything cuz there was hardly any vegan foods. i am now soya intolerant and find it a near impossibility to go out for dinner in this country. plus, kiwis find it very hard to understand the concept of not eating meat......
Old Nov 28th 2005, 3:35 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

Originally Posted by turkeytickler

My post was deliberately balanced - I matched each moan (which was after all the topic of this thread) with an equivalent on the other side. You seem to have taken offence from only one side of my posts which indicates bias in its own right.

In any case - this thread is as it is named - it is clear from its title what its content should be so rather than telle me what i should or sould not do, why dont you read somthing else if you dont like it?

Sorry if I came across that way. The only reason I commented on the points you made about NZ was because I havent been to the UK so have no personal experience therefore cant make coparisons. You can take that as being biased if you like. I did NOT tell you what to do I simply stated the obvious to me, if your not happy only you can make the changes. As for you thinking I dont like it, I really dont care one way or the other you are entitled to your opinion just as I am entitled to mine.

Originally Posted by hubbard
Out of interest Shepslady, you are incredibly pro NZ, far more so than I am pro the Uk (despite it being my home nation and a place I have a huge love of) how is it such a staunch Kiwi supporter is living overseas? This is no way an inflammatory question but it appears from your postings that you prefer NZ as a place to live so just wondered why you aren't living there and enjoying the lifestyle??
Of course Im pro NZ its where I was born, where my sons were all born, where I have lived most of my life & where I intend to end my time on this earth.
Forget the "staunch Kiwi suporter" title, Im just a Kiwi who happens to be living overseas. Yes I do prefer living in NZ & always will do so. So why am I living overseas now??? Easy, I married an American man a few years ago & at this time in our lives it is where "he" needs to be for at least another couple of years. Is it my choice of places to live? NO but my place is with my husband so I shall continue to reside overseas until its right for him to move to NZ & then nothing will make me leave again. The lifestyle in NZ is a thousand times better than the life I have here but Im trying my best to make the most of my time away. For now I shall survive with visits home to tide me over until I can return permanently!!

Originally Posted by livewire
an interesting question, often thought that myself
Hope the above satisfies your interest too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.