Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Come on, lets have a moan!

Come on, lets have a moan!

Old Nov 28th 2005, 4:44 am

ElizabethC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Come on, lets have a moan!

Originally Posted by hubbard
That's exactly what we did, and sounds like TurkeyTickler is planning on doing the same.
Can I clap?
Old Nov 28th 2005, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes you have to leave a place to appreciate it.

I understand many brits have left UK hoping for a better life and realised once they'd left how good they'd had it.

Same with the Kiwi's who've left such as shepslady.

I personally whinged and moaned about NZ when I lived there - I loved the place but as anywhere you find yourself complaining about petrol prices, taxes, moronic politicians, work...all sorts....but when you travel you realise all the little things that you miss from home that you wouldn't have even thought about unless you'd travelled.

So to say to someone..."if NZ is so good why did you leave".....perhaps that person didn't realise what they had.
Seems that is the case with a few of the brits here too in regards to UK.

Not to mention all the good stuff about travelling....

Simply put....There's no place like home.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 5:32 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElizabethC
Can I clap?
No idea ... you tell me
Fairly easy it is, you just bring your hands together really quickly and it makes a kind of a slapping noise
Old Nov 28th 2005, 8:01 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kelvynd

I understand many brits have left UK hoping for a better life and realised once they'd left how good they'd had it.

I personally whinged and moaned about NZ when I lived there - I loved the place but as anywhere you find yourself complaining about petrol prices, taxes, moronic politicians, work...all sorts....but when you travel you realise all the little things that you miss from home that you wouldn't have even thought about unless you'd travelled.

So to say to someone..."if NZ is so good why did you leave".....perhaps that person didn't realise what they had.

While I agree with most of what you say I would like to point out that I personally didnt have to leave NZ to know what I was leaving behind or what Id be missing. I knew well before I left but in fairness to my Husband & his needs etc I made the sacrifice knowing it wouldnt be a permanent thing. As for life away from NZ living in The US I try to ignore the things I dont like & have done a reasonable job of going along with the flow but yes I do feel like Im being pulled in two directions...while my place is with my husband ( I wouldnt want to be any place he wasnt) my heart will always be at home in NZ. Life here is fine but its not home & Im doing my best to make as many wonderful memories of my time here so I can look back on them with happiness when Im home again.
To those of you who leave home for other shores with the intention of making it your permanent home I take my hat off to you because I know Im too Kiwi to ever think of leaving home for good.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 8:43 pm
livewire

I think that we all leave our own countries hoping for a better lifestyle, career prospects, more money, whatever.

Many Brits have been very courageous and made a commitment to NZ by applying for permanent residency. We aren't afraid to make that leap into the unknown perhaps there is still a smidge of that pioneering spirit left in us yet.

So, can can imagine the disappointment some people must feel when, despite giving their all, they are let down when they arrive here?

I'm not talking about little comforts here but things like not being able to make ends meet on a Kiwi salary or fnding that the job they came here for was oversold.

I'll take a guess and say that your move to the USA has not left you in a worse position to that which you had in New Zealand. How many Brits can say that about their relocation?

Last edited by livewire; Nov 28th 2005 at 8:46 pm.

Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:11 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sky
No idea ... you tell me
Fairly easy it is, you just bring your hands together really quickly and it makes a kind of a slapping noise
LMFAO

KARMA DUE
Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:17 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kelvynd

Home is made for comin’ from
For dreams of goin’ to
Which with any luck will never come true

A prize to whoever recognises the lyric
Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:20 pm
Nice Tats

Originally Posted by turkeytickler
UK
- Smoke in pubs
- Closing Time at 11
- Agressive drivers in big cars
- Yob Culture
- Politicians
- Cloud
- Violence caused by too much cheap Stella

NZ
- No atmosphere in pubs
- Random closing time (including 5pm on a saturday night in Paihia!)
- Agressive drivers in ENORMOUS cars and UTEs
- No Culture
- Politicians
- Wind
- The cost of Stella
MMMMMMM stella
Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:24 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
Home is made for comin’ from
For dreams of goin’ to
Which with any luck will never come true

A prize to whoever recognises the lyric
What's the prize then for a 'wanderin' star'...
Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:31 pm
Nice Tats

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
What's the prize then for a 'wanderin' star'...
Karma of course!

Does the song make you tearful?...or just the singin :scared:
Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:37 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Aww I love that song
Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:44 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
Aww I love that song
Me too Sky...here's the full thing...all together now....

I was born under a wanderin' star.

Wheels are made for rollin', mules are made to pack.
I've never seen a site that didn't look better lookin' back.

Mud can make you prisoner and the plains can bake you dry.
Snow can burn your eyes but only people make you cry.
Home is made for comin' from, for dreams of goin' to.
Which with any luck will never come true.

Do I know where hell is, hell is in hell-o.
Heaven is good-bye forever it's time for me to go.

I was born under a wanderin' star, a wanderin', wanderin' star.

Mud can make you prisoner and the plains can bake you dry.
Snow can burn your eyes but only people make you cry.
Home is made for comin' from, for dreams of goin' to.
Which with any luck will never come true.

When I get to heaven tie me to a tree.
Or I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be.

A wanderin', wanderin' star.

Old Nov 28th 2005, 10:41 pm
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ElizabethC
Can I clap?
The term is 'May' I clap if you didn't like the answer Sky gave you.

Can you is asking if you can (am I able?)

May I is asking if you may and assumes you can.

Sorry but that reply was (as the ad says 'priceless')

Old Nov 28th 2005, 10:51 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livewire

I'll take a guess and say that your move to the USA has not left you in a worse position to that which you had in New Zealand. How many Brits can say that about their relocation?
Sorry to tell you this but your wrong on that one too. Financially we are worse off & we rent here rather than own our home.......mere possessions that dont hold a lot for me anymore cos I have so much more love now & I will take love over belongings anyday
Old Nov 29th 2005, 1:53 am
livewire

Originally Posted by shepslady
Sorry to tell you this but your wrong on that one too. Financially we are worse off & we rent here rather than own our home.......mere possessions that dont hold a lot for me anymore cos I have so much more love now & I will take love over belongings anyday
Lol, it was only a guess, but I am sorry to hear that your financial situation has worstened.

Do you still have property in NZ or did you sell up and move lock, stock and barrel? Do you think you may be able to afford to return to NZ one day?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.