Reload this Page >

Colchester Mum new to Nelson!!

Colchester Mum new to Nelson!!

Old Nov 1st 2008, 9:20 am
Just Joined

poppy1973 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Colchester Mum new to Nelson!!

Hi there,

We moved to Nelson about a month ago. The kids ( aged 11 and 14 ) and my hubby have settled sooooo well. It's just little old me who's feeling, not homesick, but I suppose 'people sick!'. The kids have started school and hubby is loving his job and I'm left to chat to my tomato plants in the greenhouse!!! Started applying for part time work last week just to speak to humans!! Fingers crossed! If there's anyone in the same boat who's feeling a bit lost. SPEAK TO ME!!! LOL I need friends!! xxx
Old Nov 1st 2008, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

jads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to all
Default Re: Colchester Mum new to Nelson!!

Originally Posted by poppy1973
Hi there,

We moved to Nelson about a month ago. The kids ( aged 11 and 14 ) and my hubby have settled sooooo well. It's just little old me who's feeling, not homesick, but I suppose 'people sick!'. The kids have started school and hubby is loving his job and I'm left to chat to my tomato plants in the greenhouse!!! Started applying for part time work last week just to speak to humans!! Fingers crossed! If there's anyone in the same boat who's feeling a bit lost. SPEAK TO ME!!! LOL I need friends!! xxx
Hi
Good luck with the jobs, I'm sure things will improve for you to meet people soon. We are a family of 4 (2 boys 16 & 11), looking into ChCh initially but read a short piece on how lovely Nelson is. What made you decide on Nelson (we are not sure it is big enough to fulfil all of us), We are really concerned that we make the right decision for our children, how are yours settling in (our youngest has tears at the slightest mention of leaving his football and school friends).

Where do you live in Nelson, any info is great

Cheers Jads
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 8:13 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Hi poppy how are you. Which part of Nelson are you in ? My wife and I live central Nelson. I manage a restaurant in town but my wife has her own business as an organic beauty/massage therapist, She works from home so sometimes finds herself talking to our cats a lot.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 8:15 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nelsonpom
Hi poppy how are you. Which part of Nelson are you in ? My wife and I live central Nelson. I manage a restaurant in town but my wife has her own business as an organic beauty/massage therapist, She works from home so sometimes finds herself talking to our cats a lot.
PS Went to college at Colchester Institute
Old Nov 15th 2008, 9:09 am
Just Joined

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply, we're on the Waimea Road ( Stoke end ), just renting at the moment. Been here a couple of months now. Starting to settle down a bit. It's amazing how well the kids have adapted!! Once my hubby started his work and the kids started school I thought s**t, that's the holiday over now!Bit of a reality check, hey? Wow, you seem to be on a mission!! Did you have a restaurant back in UK? Sounds like it's all worked out well for you both.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 9:34 am
Just Joined

Hi Jads,

Sorry, I've just spotted ur post!!! Yeah, I have a 14 year old boy and a 12 year old girl. I'm going to be honest....when we first arrived at Nelson airport, I thought to myself....Oh my God, what have we done! It was pouring down, freezing cold, we were shattered, hungry and had been living out of our suitcases for three weeks! We'd booked into a cottage for four nights that stunk of an old people's home! We had no visas, just a return ticket back to UK for six months time. We are going through a migration agency who were a bit too laid back about my hubby getting a job for our liking! My hubby managed to secure himself a job after day two which gave us our two year work visas. We can relax a bit now!! Anyway, the kids love their schools. They've made loads of friends and they are doing things that they would never have the opportunity to do in UK. I hardly see my son now!!! He comes in from school, has a bite to eat, then goes fishing for hours!!! Soccer and cricket seems to be very big in Nelson, although they still love their rugby! Touch rugby seems to be very popular with the families, something my daughter would like to get into! I've been here a couple of months now and I'm still finding out things!! Anyway, hope this helps! Hope I havn't rabbited on too much!LOL Take care for now
Old Nov 16th 2008, 7:58 pm
Stoke City fanatic

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply, we're on the Waimea Road ( Stoke end ), just renting at the moment. Been here a couple of months now. Starting to settle down a bit. It's amazing how well the kids have adapted!! Once my hubby started his work and the kids started school I thought s**t, that's the holiday over now!Bit of a reality check, hey? Wow, you seem to be on a mission!! Did you have a restaurant back in UK? Sounds like it's all worked out well for you both.
Yea going well at moment. We lie in the brook, brought a house here couple of years ago. Like it here but still miss some things (bound to really). I'm a manager at Cafe affair in town, been in catering for many years as a chef of manager. Looking forwad to summer now.. If your fancy meeting for a coffee and chat let us know.
Darren and Vicky
Old Nov 17th 2008, 12:30 am
Just Joined

Hi Darren and Vicky,

That's funny....just had lunch in Cafe affair!! Soup was lovely by the way!!. Yeah, would love to meet up for a natter. You'll have to let us know where and when. Give us a PM....we're pretty much free at weekends and after 6.30pm in the week. Chat soon

Kerry and Steve
Old Nov 17th 2008, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Colchester Mum new to Nelson!!

Yea going well at moment. We lie in the brook, brought a house here couple of years ago. Like it here but still miss some things (bound to really). I'm a manager at Cafe affair in town, been in catering for many years as a chef of manager. Looking forwad to summer now.. If your fancy meeting for a coffee and chat let us know.
Darren and Vicky
Ahhhhhhhh so you work for Derek then....
Old Nov 17th 2008, 3:28 am
Stoke City fanatic

Originally Posted by cally49
Ahhhhhhhh so you work for Derek then....
Yes I have that plaesure, I am taking it that you know him then ?
Old Nov 18th 2008, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Colchester Mum new to Nelson!!

Yes I have that plaesure, I am taking it that you know him then ?
Hi there i have met him and his wife through my partner that does the pluming work there lol.......Will have to pop in and have a meal sometime!
Cheers
Cally
Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

juliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to all

Hi there, just noticed a couple of these threads as I haven't been on the site for months. I had lunch at Cafe Affair a couple of weeks ago with sum soccer mums I have made friends with, we are supposed to meet up regularly but they all work and I sumtimes don't like to mix since being here, think I maybe becoming a hermit hahaha!!. Anyway I had a lovely lunch (along with my 4 year old), I remember your expat name from when we'd just arrived and you said you managed a restaurant and to pop in 4 a coffee sumtime, just thought I'd let you know I had, I didn't realise at the time that that was the one you meant.

Poppy1973, OMG that is what happened our end to, we arrived in Nelson in February and my hubby secured his job himself to, our migration company were crap!!! We only have a 6 month visit to and after my hubby got the job we travelled all the way to Chch to get the visas. We were renting out at Atawhai until September when we bought a house in Richmond where we are now. I have two kids boy 8 (9 in 2 weeks) and a girl 4. We live behind Ben Cooper Park which is amazing, we just open the gate and there we are our own personal playing field. Our son plays soccer and is now in the summer league 2 nights a week and golf lessons another, I agree there is sooo much for them to do. My hubby is settled in work so that just leaves me and mils oh and our 20 week old puppy - he's a german shepherd and is bloody huge now. It is hard going and I still have sum really bad days, but my parents are out in 2 weeks for a couple of months so that has kept me going. There is alot more to do here as a family and its a wonderful place for kids, I hope you settle well, please feel free to contact me anytime.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 9:50 am
Just Joined

Hi everyone, I've been chatting to various people on here and think it would be great if we could all meet up for a coffee and a gos! How about Lambrettas on Thursday at 11am? Let me know if you're interested! Kerry x
Old Dec 6th 2008, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice4kiwi4 is just really nice

Hi, Yes i'll be there, any change of plans/time etc please let me know. Carol