Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Coe Family (Wanted Down Under tv series)

Coe Family (Wanted Down Under tv series)

Old Aug 15th 2015, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Coe Family (Wanted Down Under tv series)

I have been watching the Wanted Down Under Revisited programme this week and the other day they showed the Coe family from Essex who were trialling Wellington in 2011. They were a lovely family but husband and wife were very divided on their plans and the programme ended showing them all leaving the UK for the flight to NZ in 2012.

However, the WDU Facebook page says that nobody knows if they are still in NZ or back in the UK so I was wondering if anybody here knows of them?

Here's a link to the iplayer show (for those who can view it!)
BBC iPlayer - Wanted Down Under Revisited - Series 6: 2. Coe

It is quite rare for the programme to feature Wellington but they really didn't choose the best houses for them to view! The original episode was filmed in the snowy week in 2011 and to be honest they really didn't sell Wellington very well to the viewers.
Old Aug 16th 2015, 12:45 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coe Family (Wanted Down Under tv series)

a couple of members on here have done those, I personally know moonie2011 and qssue did them.
moonies was through her eldest sons eyes, a cbbc programme and qssue was the actual wanted down under.

both very staged IMHO, trips out paid for by the TV company. moonie will probably be along and give her opinion on how the shows work.
qssue doesn't come on here very often but I do know that on the first show it didn't really show all the problems she had with the jobs etc. and when I watched her show I kept saying things like "that wasn't what she told me" etc.
both are still here atm. I do know that qssue was coming here so her OH could spend more time with the children, being police officer, and herself working from home. their roles are now reversed and he spends more time at home and she is out and away from the home more than previously.

Like all these type of programmes just take them with a pinch of salt, they are edited to portray a certain agenda.
Old Aug 16th 2015, 1:05 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I clicked on the link and got this message:

BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only.

I Googled their name and here's the synopsis:

'The Coe family had their bags packed and were ready to start a new life down under, but with just a week to go until they emigrated, dad Justin dropped a bombshell and backed out of the move. After the family almost split apart over his decision, he agreed to give New Zealand a final try. One year after the Coes' week in Auckland, Nicki catches up with them to find out where they ended up.'

Not looking good is it ?

Also:

'After their last attempt to emigrate almost destroyed their family, the Coes have one final chance to find out if their future lies down under in Wellington, or at home in Clacton-on-Sea.'

From the WDU Facebook page dated Aug 13 2015:

As far as we’re aware the Coe family are still residing in the UK.
If you’re reading this Justin and Sharon please get in touch with us using our e-mail address and let us know how you’re getting on!

On further reading of the show's FB page it seems Justin is working a conservatory fitter in Clacton and Sharon is at Suffolk University.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Aug 16th 2015 at 1:47 am. Reason: I'll Google it so you don't have to
Old Aug 16th 2015, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Yes thank you Snapshot, I know all that info as I also have access to Google, iplayer and Facebook! I was asking if anybody here knows them personally and what the final outcome was. The last comment on FB is by somebody who, like you, used Google not who actually knows them.

Mrs F, I understand how these 'reality' programmes work as I was featured in one a few years ago too! 500 hours of filming to be edited (badly and out of context) into a 40 minute programme!! In my case, the BBC did NOT pay for my trip or any associated expenses

I asked my daughter to record Moonie's CBBC programme and watched it when I visited the UK last year - lovely family and I'm glad they are all still in NZ and enjoying life.
Old Aug 16th 2015, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

"Reality" TV is simply not real !
Old Aug 18th 2015, 1:30 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

From what I can see per current electoral roll records, they entire family seems to be resident in Clacton , UK.
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by scot47
"Reality" TV is simply not real !
We are the family that took part in a CBBC documentry called 'One way ticket' it followed our journey moving from the uk to NZ but focused on how our boys saw the move and how they coped with it.
All of the documentry was real and not staged, it contained all OUR thoughts and feelings. Of course there was a lot of retakes etc but the emotional scenes were done in one take.
They did take us to a few places when we arrived in NZ, but none of it was in the final programme. I can honestly say that what was in the final programme was all us.
All though hard work at times we all enjoyed making the programme, it was fun, tiring, exciting, emotional, exhausting, exhilerating, happy and sad etc.
We highly recommend if you get the chance to do something like this, go for it. We now have a wonderful diary of out journey which I'm sure the boys will show their kids some day

The programme is currently on BBC iplayer, have a look and tell us what you think.
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

JaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond repute

As someone who has also been part of reality tv I think it is naive to forget that these programmes are edited to make the point that the tv company want to.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moonie2011
We are the family that took part in a CBBC documentry called 'One way ticket' it followed our journey moving from the uk to NZ but focused on how our boys saw the move and how they coped with it.
All of the documentry was real and not staged, it contained all OUR thoughts and feelings. Of course there was a lot of retakes etc but the emotional scenes were done in one take.
They did take us to a few places when we arrived in NZ, but none of it was in the final programme. I can honestly say that what was in the final programme was all us.
All though hard work at times we all enjoyed making the programme, it was fun, tiring, exciting, emotional, exhausting, exhilerating, happy and sad etc.
We highly recommend if you get the chance to do something like this, go for it. We now have a wonderful diary of out journey which I'm sure the boys will show their kids some day

The programme is currently on BBC iplayer, have a look and tell us what you think.
Will be watching it and will report back! We have a 10 year old boy (and 14 year old girl), so will be interested.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

Sparklecathy1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moonie2011
Reply:
I just watched this and really enjoyed it, what lovely boys you have! I hope my two turn out so nicely! You must be really proud. Hope your new lives are still all you hoped x

Last edited by MrsFychan; Aug 24th 2015 at 7:43 pm.