cluster flies

Old Apr 17th 2012, 5:00 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute
Default cluster flies

I hate 'em, hate 'em hate 'em

They came for the first time last year and if you haven't had them - lucky you.

I had began to think that this year we wouldn't see them as up to now there wasn't a sign. But go away for a few days and we come back to carpets covered in the little black buggers.

Last year we ended up spraying the whole house, cost a fortune, and even then it didn't completely work.

So my question is anyone else out there got them and what are you doing to get rid of 'em

Old Apr 17th 2012, 6:03 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: cluster flies

Yuk and triple yuk.

I don't do flies so now have the house windows & doors surrounds sprayed inside and out once a year. Not very 'green' but better than flies in the house. The year I changed my mind abuot all things to be 'green' was the Autumn I looked up to our ceiling and saw a swinging fly party on down happening. We're up on piles though. If you're at ground level I have a feeling you also have to spray the ground outside.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 7:41 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Does the spraying the windows and doors work? The first thing I did when we got here was get those magnetic fly screen thingies, can't stand insects! Especially the cicadas!
Old Apr 17th 2012, 7:03 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

cicadas, wetas - I'd have then any day when compared to cluster flies

Spraying works, (kinda). So does those automatic time delayed sprays, but it all costs. I've just bought 10 cans, cost $150, and they last about a month.

The insect guy is supposed to be coming today to spray the outsides. Last year his bill was just over the 1 k mark and 'no' guarantee

I so hate these little buggers, they get everywhere, and as their name suggests they cluster. Makes the place look terrible, and when they die, they cover the carpet.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 9:45 pm
`

Our spray guy costs $230 . He also gives the washing line and the sleepout a spray with the leftovers.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 11:11 pm
Who loves you, baby?

Lucky you, Bevs

Why did he do the washing line?
Old Apr 18th 2012, 12:31 am
Banned

Pest Advice is an unknown quantity at this point

It is a bit late for the treatment of larvae in lawns and grassland but you can still reduce their number in and around the home.

You can spray the entrance points around your home (eaves, gaps around windows etc.) with residual insecticide such as NO Bugs Super to reduce the numbers entering. This can also be used to kill the flies in clusters and spray the places where the clusters formed. Clear up all the flies you can reach as they continue to release the pheromone (smell) that attracts other flies. Another additional option is to use fly bait such as NO Flies Bait around the exterior to control flies before they get a chance to move indoors.

Bombs such as NO Bugs Bug Bomb are useful for knocking down clusters in areas that spraying is not an option. It does not have much residual action and spraying with NO bugs Super is a better option where it can be used.

Last edited by BEVS; Apr 18th 2012 at 1:36 am. Reason: edit to remove promotional advertising per rules 9. User may rejoin with a more suitable username per rule 11.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 1:34 am
`

Originally Posted by sparkie down under
Lucky you, Bevs

Why did he do the washing line?
No idea. I didn't ask. Spiders?

I think $1K is very steep but maybe what your bugman does is different to what my bugman does. Mine does doors and windows, inside and out.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 11:01 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

So does those automatic time delayed sprays, but it all costs. I've just bought 10 cans, cost $150, and they last about a month.
We got those too, you're right they don't last very long! The magnetic fly screens are very good, got them off someone on trade me, they make them to size and they're easy to install. They were cheap too. You can remove them in the winter.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

nick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud of

Been thinking about fly screens. Are you allowed to mention whom you bought from?.
good luck to the OP with the cluster flies. a customer of mine has then and she showed me the mess. Looked like a scene from a Lemming movie
Old Apr 20th 2012, 9:02 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

The prison i work at in Otago has had them for 5 years now, the units and wing landings used to be covered in them, they get into the lights and any cavities they can squeeze into , its like crunch crunch when we walk the landings , the whole place was built on farm land and they were there before we got there , and still hatch every year . Is your house new and built on old paddocks ?
Old Apr 20th 2012, 9:33 pm
Who loves you, baby?

Originally Posted by Fooferfish
Is your house new and built on old paddocks ?
House is about 100 years old. Ancient for NZ. Never had them until last year and it's just like you say - dreadful - they get everywhere. I hate 'em
Old Apr 20th 2012, 9:39 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

House is about 100 years old. Ancient for NZ. Never had them until last year and it's just like you say - dreadful - they get everywhere. I hate 'em
Will the cold weather kill them off? Never heard of them before and hope not to see them
Old Apr 20th 2012, 11:51 pm
Who loves you, baby?

nope, cold doesn't kill them off they just go deeper (i Think) and I certainly hope you don't get them either - they are a nightmare.

I've just spent a horrible hour cleaning out the Dyson of dead cluster flies; having to dismantle everything and just about jet washing it to get the goo off.

I HATE 'EM
Old Apr 21st 2012, 4:25 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hate them!!!!

The inlaws have them on the farm, apparently they will disappear for a few years and then reappear with a vengeance.
They have an automatic spray which sprays insecticide into the house every 30mins or so and this seems to do its job. Then comes the job of hoovering or shovelling them all up once they finally die. Then do exactly the same the next day and the day after...Ugghh!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.