British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Clubs/places for younger folk on the HBC?! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/clubs-places-younger-folk-hbc-684504/)

Flower Pot Sep 8th 2010 1:57 am

Clubs/places for younger folk on the HBC?!

Hey :)

First of all, I'm not ageist so no accusations please! :eek:

We are living on the HBC and lovely as it is I'll be darned if I can find any clubs (sports, social etc) for younger folk. We are in our late 20's and most people we have met are around my parents age... nothing wrong with this, we would just like to make some friends who also like to occasionally go out and listen to loud music :rofl:

Any suggestions? :thumbsup:

pricklykina Sep 8th 2010 2:03 am

Re: Clubs/places for younger folk on the HBC?!

You need to move away from retirementsville!!!!
Actually that's not helpful at all is it, but HBC is popular with older folk for sure.
I'm sure some people will have some ideas

sirplug Sep 8th 2010 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Flower Pot (Post 8833084)
Hey :)

First of all, I'm not ageist so no accusations please! :eek:

We are living on the HBC and lovely as it is I'll be darned if I can find any clubs (sports, social etc) for younger folk. We are in our late 20's and most people we have met are around my parents age... nothing wrong with this, we would just like to make some friends who also like to occasionally go out and listen to loud music :rofl:

Any suggestions? :thumbsup:

Welcome to the Peninsula!

Sadly, there just isn't anything like that around here!

There are the Irish bars in Orewa, maybe the Surf Lifesaving Club in Red Beach or if you're feeling sporty, HBC Football Club, opposite Stanmore Bay Leisure Centre. They have girls teams, as well as mens, or just turn up 1 Saturday afternoon, about 3pm and go to the bar upstairs. Ask to speak to Mexy (he'll be behind the bar), tell him you've just moved here and can you grab a few beers. He'll be cool and the place gets packed (but no loud music just loud chatter)
If it's loud music that you need, then you'll have to go to Auckland........

Jo-Chris Sep 8th 2010 6:36 am

Hi,

We are finding the same we are in our late 20's living in Taranaki! I have joined a club called the Taranaki Young Professionals which is a networking group and they put on a lot of events and have also joined a committee relating to my job and Im starting to meet people my age!

We have started to go to a pub quiz and are inviting people from each others work so building up friendships there.

Im sure there must be something for young folks in HBC! My cousin lives in Stanmore Bay so I will ask her!

Good luck

Aliwales Sep 8th 2010 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Jo-Chris (Post 8833318)
Hi,

We are finding the same we are in our late 20's living in Taranaki! I have joined a club called the Taranaki Young Professionals which is a networking group and they put on a lot of events and have also joined a committee relating to my job and Im starting to meet people my age!

We have started to go to a pub quiz and are inviting people from each others work so building up friendships there.

Im sure there must be something for young folks in HBC! My cousin lives in Stanmore Bay so I will ask her!

Good luck

I'm sat here in the uk Reading with interest! I like a little loud noise tunes, but at 34 only once in a while lol!! And hb is where I plan on landing!

pricklykina Sep 8th 2010 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Aliwales (Post 8833336)
I'm sat here in the uk Reading with interest! I like a little loud noise tunes, but at 34 only once in a while lol!! And hb is where I plan on landing!

You're too young LOL
How about the North Shore beaches instead.
Still beautiful but close to Takapuna or the city for a night out

Aliwales Sep 8th 2010 9:49 am

lol!! it's the lifestyle for the kids that's making me want to move to HB! My youngest daughter has grand ambitions to be a pro surfer (needs lessons first though) and to get the lifestyle and good schools within the budget have to compromise somewhere... and that's my social life out the window :lol:

I can live with that, just gonna have to have lots of people round for barbecues etc instead he he!!!

dorrick Sep 8th 2010 10:53 am

If you want to surf you really need the west coast beaches - Piha, Karekare, Muriwai etc

pricklykina Sep 8th 2010 11:10 am

Originally Posted by dorrick (Post 8833673)
If you want to surf you really need the west coast beaches - Piha, Karekare, Muriwai etc

ditto that
Westside [insert odd handgesture here]

People do surf the east. My friend would surf at Red beach when he lived there.
But if it's surf that you really really want...do consider the west.

As for schools...Waitakere College just got a stunning rating in metro magazine this year and came 7th out of 74 Auckland high schools

sorry for the thread drift OP

sirplug Sep 8th 2010 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by dorrick (Post 8833673)

If she's never surfed, she'll be safer learning on the East coast. Once she's good enough, the West coast is only an hour away.

sirplug Sep 8th 2010 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Aliwales (Post 8833541)
I can live with that, just gonna have to have lots of people round for barbecues etc instead he he!!!

It's how everybody else does it, you invite the neighbours, if they're young enough and just turn up the music! If the neighbours aren't young enough, they won't be able to here the music, anyway:eek:

Flower Pot Sep 8th 2010 6:58 pm

Haha thanks everyone :)

Sir Plug - thanks for that, might check out the football club, apparantly theres a social league? Basically for all the past it miss-fits so will fit right in ha! Hubby and a few of our friends are interested too so perhaps we'll get a team going :eek:

Prickly Kina - Ah we love it here too much to move, the views and beaches and chilled and friendly atmosphere has won us over. I've seen a few youngish people about, will just have to brave it and go and accost them I suppose. If it goes well I get a new friend, if not I spend the night in the cells... risk I'm willing to take :rofl:

Jo-Chris - Sounds like you're getting it sorted, set Taranaki straight and infuse some young flavour! :D How old is your cousin? Yeah let me know if she has any ideas or wants to throw a BBQ invitation in our direction :p

Aliwales - don't worry, by the time you arrive I'll have attracted loads of young'uns to the area, have several clubs and regular night outs on the go and if I fail in the promise (likely...!) then we have a gorgeous big deck with fab sea views and sun all day, which you are welcome to come and party on, I'll have the barbie fired and plenty of chilled beer & vino! :thumbsup:
Its a fab area for kids so you've made the right choice there... your daughter will love the surfing and Orewa Surf Club is very popular.

As for surfing, I love the thought of it, its a 'cool' sport... I've even donned a wetsuit and gone to the watersedge with a board... then I remember my paralysing fear of fish and all things that live in the sea and retreat back to my towel and ipod :rofl: So she's a braver lady than me!

On the subject of neighbours and loud music... when we moved into our new place last wk, our next door neighbour came up and knocked to say hello and welcome (how nice, never ever happened in the UK!). Him and his wife are pensioners in their 70's (who'd have guessed ha), he said "I don't mind if you play music loud, our house is sound-proof and I'm partially deaf anyway... oh and I like to play the keyboard of an evening" - PERFECT neighbours if you ask me! :eek:

sirplug Sep 9th 2010 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Flower Pot (Post 8834647)
... oh and I like to play the keyboard of an evening" - PERFECT neighbours if you ask me! :eek:

So, is that renditions of Barry Manilow past classics.....or Ozzy Osbourne in his Black Sabbath days!:eek:

Aliwales Sep 10th 2010 3:32 pm

He He :D Perfect neighbours .... Maybe I should consider putting that on my wish list when looking for a place.... dishwasher, 3 bedrooms and partially deaf neighbours! You've had good luck there!

SirPlug.. Im with you, I know the west is great for surfing .. loved Piha .. however if the surfing turns out to be a fad like karate, piano lessons, guitar lessons etc..... I wanna be living somewhere that has clam chill out space and plenty of deaf neighbours lol!!!:lol::lol:

UKNZAUS Sep 18th 2010 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Flower Pot (Post 8834647)
Haha thanks everyone :)

Sir Plug - thanks for that, might check out the football club, apparantly theres a social league? Basically for all the past it miss-fits so will fit right in ha! Hubby and a few of our friends are interested too so perhaps we'll get a team going :eek:

Hi. My hubby plays for a social league at HBCFC and they're about to start up again in a couple of weeks I think. Send me a message if you're interested and I'll speak to the hubster about all the details :)

Michelle

PS: I'm in same age bracket and find the same problems. We just tend to have friends round for BBQs/Singstar nights :thumbsup: