British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   clothes- shops??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/clothes-shops-523070/)

alyj Mar 19th 2008 11:20 pm

clothes- shops???

What are the main clothing shops in North island Hamilton or Hawkes Bay area please??

happynz Mar 20th 2008 12:38 am

Re: clothes- shops???

Originally Posted by alyj (Post 6086842)
What are the main clothing shops in North Island Hamilton or Hawkes Bay area please??

Alyj,
Unless you are going shopping in order to get dolled up for an immigration interview or something I don't see why you are posting this in the Immigration forum.

I believe you will find that shopping-wise it is all fairly much all the same throughout New Zealand as far as department stores go -- Farmers and the like. (Farmers is the name of the department store chain.) Sure, you will find smaller shops and maybe you can find something you like. Be prepared for lots of 'Made In China' stuff.

sarahw Mar 20th 2008 4:40 am

I would buy as much as you can while you're in the UK! Clothes are pretty cr*ppy quality here. Most people seem to buy clothes in Aus, UK or online!

happynz Mar 20th 2008 5:06 am

Originally Posted by sarahw (Post 6087567)
I would buy as much as you can while you're in the UK! Clothes are pretty cr*ppy quality here. Most people seem to buy clothes in Aus, UK or online!

I agree about the crappy clothes, but I doubt if *most* people here buy their clothes from Australia, the UK or online.

littleal Mar 20th 2008 6:29 am

I've been pleasantly surprised by range of shops in Hamilton. We have Dressmart at The Base which is good for bargain-hunting too.

Alison

zummerzet_lou Mar 20th 2008 9:54 am

Originally Posted by littleal (Post 6087711)
I've been pleasantly surprised by range of shops in Hamilton. We have Dressmart at The Base which is good for bargain-hunting too.

Alison

Speaking of clothes, what is the recommended attire for an interview?

I'm flying to NZ in a couple of weeks for one, and have heard that interviews are more relaxed ... jacket and smart trousers too much?

Lou

happynz Mar 20th 2008 10:05 am

Originally Posted by zummerzet_lou (Post 6088110)

I'm flying to NZ in a couple of weeks for one, and have heard that interviews are more relaxed ... jacket and smart trousers too much?

Lou

I reckon it depends on what sort of job you are applying for. My personal opinion is that it doesn't hurt to look sharp for interviews, that is unless you plan on being a labourer in which case the only gear you need are steel toe boots, rugby shorts and a singlet.

alyj Mar 20th 2008 10:30 am

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 6087073)
Alyj,
Unless you are going shopping in order to get dolled up for an immigration interview or something I don't see why you are posting this in the Immigration forum.

I believe you will find that shopping-wise it is all fairly much all the same throughout New Zealand as far as department stores go -- Farmers and the like. (Farmers is the name of the department store chain.) Sure, you will find smaller shops and maybe you can find something you like. Be prepared for lots of 'Made In China' stuff.

happynz why are you so negative, :frown:the forum is for migration issues, and yes asking about areas and information is also relevant to migration!:p

happynz Mar 20th 2008 10:36 am

Originally Posted by alyj (Post 6088228)
happynz why are you so negative, :frown:the forum is for migration issues, and yes asking about areas and information is also relevant to migration!:p

I'm not being negative. I think that asking about clothing would probably get more responses in the general New Zealand section.

Never mind. You're getting heaps of responses here, so no drama. :)

Pollyana Mar 20th 2008 11:37 am

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 6088251)
I'm not being negative. I think that asking about clothing would probably get more responses in the general New Zealand section.

Never mind. You're getting heaps of responses here, so no drama. :)

Wandering Mod is quite happy to move it :)

Maz Mar 20th 2008 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 6088482)
Wandering Mod is quite happy to move it :)

Thank you Wandering Mod! :heart:

Pollyana Mar 20th 2008 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 6088496)
Thank you Wandering Mod! :heart:

;) No probs :)

Maz Mar 20th 2008 12:20 pm

Disclaimer: I do not know if Paddington Coat Factory or Bling are national or not, sorry! Even if they're not, it does go to show that bargains are all over, even if they're not national. :) ;)

Wellington, today, Paddington Coat Factory - bought a coat for $29. That's a bit more like it. ;) Polyester blend or whatever or the outside, and a very very lighth 'duvet' inner. Perfect for winter. :D Go PCF! I also got a pair of sunnies from Bling for $10 - everything was half-price today, love it! - so I got a couple of costume necklaces to wear at work too, huzzah! :)

newkiwi Mar 20th 2008 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by zummerzet_lou (Post 6088110)

Lou

you should rather over-dress than uner-dress for an interview, id say go with a jacket.

CLothes wise the main chains include sussan, glassons, principles, cant think of the others now. Shopping (well according to Mrs NewKiwi) compares badly to the UK

banshigirl Mar 20th 2008 3:28 pm

As I am still in the UK (bugging) if any of you want me to send some bits over to yu just PM me.

I hate shopping but have been reading about the clothes etc and would willing go to Primark etc.

Just let me know what you basically you want and I will pop out and send to you.

Debs.