Clothes

Old Jul 27th 2015, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

bethanlebeau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Clothes

Hi all, my name is Bethan,

Moving to Wellington this September, I'm 25, not some clothes obsessed shopaholic but have always used H&M/Primark and struggling to find information on similar shops that I can use, I've heard clothes and shoes are more expensive and really hoping this isn't the case, any help?

Thanks
Old Jul 27th 2015, 8:08 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clothes

I still use marks and spencers, debenhams and tescos for clothes purchases. yes things are more expensive and there is less to choose from. it took me 4 months to find a simple black work skirt as everywhere was blinkin trousers. anyway you have shops like the Warehouse which would be like primark and then Farmers which would be more like debenhams. they do have other clothes shops but as I say if I want something well made and reasonably prices then I shop online in the UK
Old Jul 27th 2015, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

If you like clothes that only come in black NZ is the place for you. It sometimes feels like living in a country in constant mourning with so many people head to toe in black.

R.I.P.

PS. We order everything from ASOS, it's free delivery to NZ.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 9:05 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bethan,

I am in no way a shopaholic (quite the opposite really). I use shops like K-Mart or Warehouse. Cheap and cheerful, probably on a similar level to Primark quality and price wise. There is also Cotton On and Glassons which are both similar to New Look that has some nice stuff. I spend a bit more money on some things like jeans and get those from Farmers, which is a department store similar to Debenhams.

I've been here a while now and haven't ordered anything online, only ever bought clothes and shoes in NZ. I think the choice and price is fine and I don't spend any more or less money than what I did in the UK. Having said that I'm really not a clothes shopping person so if you are you may think differently! I think it differs depending on where you live in NZ, Wellington you should be fine.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

sazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to behold

I too would have thought you'd be fine in Wellington, I shop in Christchurch on occasion and find it ok.

Things are more expensive here for worse quality - i.e expect to be paying $100 for a top that feels like it was made for Primark..... however that again can depend on where you are shopping - if like me you live away from a major city then online is the way to go. But if i were living in Christchurch or Wellington I think it would be fine.

Glassons is nice as Pom_Chch has said and if you want a splurge - Witchery is my favourite (i would compare to Ted baker... ish).
Old Jul 28th 2015, 1:44 am
Just Joined

RichieRich80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Shop online the clothes here are bad quality and moderately expensive, or very expensive and moderate quality.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 3:57 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Bring all the clothes over! Clothes are expensive and crap quality.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 6:38 am
Just Joined

bethanlebeau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
If you like clothes that only come in black NZ is the place for you. It sometimes feels like living in a country in constant mourning with so many people head to toe in black.

R.I.P.

PS. We order everything from ASOS, it's free delivery to NZ.

ASOS deliver? Thank christ, valuable info, much appreciated
Old Jul 28th 2015, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

The Ezibuy store in Wellington sells womens and childrens clothes from Next and they also sell online. David Jones (Australian John Lewis equivalent) is also due to open soon, taking over from Kirkcaldie and Stains. If you're young enough Factorie, Cotton on, Just Jeans and Jay Jays are the 'must buy' places for teenagers and probably a bit older. I think they're Australian stores (or at least there are plenty of them in Oz too).

Of course there is less choice as NZ is so small. Clothes are more expensive than England or Australia, but that gives you a perfect excuse for weekend shopping trips to Oz!
Old Jul 28th 2015, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

When we were over last year I did a pretend clothes shop in Auckland, Hamilton, Wellington and Christchurch. In the last three the prices were pretty much what I'd expect to pay in the UK for similar, mid range quality. I hate clothes shopping so tend to be more functional for home and posh for work based rather than constantly looking for new things and all matchy matchy.

Auckland was a definite <ouch> on prices but we were on the main drag and it all seemed designer stuff, I'm guessing there might be other, more normal stores in the outlying shopping malls?

One thing to bear in mind is your potential salary. If I do the same job in NZ as I do currently in the UK I'll earn half the amount despite the job being exactly the same. Therefore clothes double in price if you take the price as a percentage of what I earn. MrH will earn the same as he does here so the clothes are, effectively, equivalent in price as a proportion of his take home pay.