Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Climate Similar To UK?

Climate Similar To UK?

Old Dec 18th 2010, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Climate Similar To UK?

I just noticed in the introduction to the NZ forum it says that the climate is similar to UK. Perhaps someone could tell me which part of UK would you find people growing oranges out in the open, in their gardens?
Old Dec 18th 2010, 8:37 am
Just Joined

dolley is just really nicedolley is just really nicedolley is just really nicedolley is just really nicedolley is just really nicedolley is just really nicedolley is just really nicedolley is just really nice
Default Re: Climate Similar To UK?

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I just noticed in the introduction to the NZ forum it says that the climate is similar to UK. Perhaps someone could tell me which part of UK would you find people growing oranges out in the open, in their gardens?
ha ha. I thought the same thing. It isn't often in the UK you have to have the air conditioning on while driving in the rain
Old Dec 18th 2010, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

You could in a sheltered spot in the South West
Old Dec 18th 2010, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been reliably informed that in terms of latitude Auckland would be similar to the south of France and generally I would agree.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

think they mean more of the lie of the land, uk is green in summer so is nz we have cold winters more now so dos nz more on south island
Old Dec 18th 2010, 4:11 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickey_d
You could in a sheltered spot in the South West
Confirmed!! MIL had a large orange tree in a pot in her garden, in a sheltered spot, stayed out through the winter, variable crop but had some most years.

One of the big differences is the fierceness of the sun in NZ!!
Old Dec 18th 2010, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

You can't compare a whole country's weather with another - very much like the UK the climate is very different from one end of the country to the other and many variations in between. People wrongly associate citrus with hot weather, the season for citrus is during our winter actually and I don't think there are too many grown on the south island.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 6:43 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I live in the midlands....not a cold UK region about equivalent to your Welly. I just looked out of the window and the 150mm of snow stayed where it fell last night as it is still -10C and forecast not to rise above freezing for the foreseeable future. Yesterday the Airports shut down and all of our buses called off leaving the Xmas shopping as a no go. Impossible to drive anywhere as all the cars are stuck. Our farmers can't even get the sprouts out of the ground never mind the oranges off the trees.... Do the people in Wellington often experience the same???
Old Dec 19th 2010, 7:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Do the people in Wellington often experience the same???
Of course not, they're basking under the palm trees in the sunshine every day of the week.

http://www.weatherwatch.co.nz/conten...d-by-cold-snap
Old Dec 19th 2010, 9:03 am

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Of course not, they're basking under the palm trees in the sunshine every day of the week.

http://www.weatherwatch.co.nz/conten...d-by-cold-snap
Silly me ...thought Welly was on the North Island.......

Last edited by Stormer999; Dec 19th 2010 at 9:09 am.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

They call it "Windy Wellington" and it certainly lived up to it's name when I was there. I also found parking was difficult as most places only allowed short term parking, even though you still had to pay.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

The Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to all

I don't think the weather here is anything like the UK. I have a pool in my garden and I can swim in it from October to the end of May. You can't do that in the UK. Plus I grow flowers and fruit here in my garden that you can't in the UK. I never have to defrost the car. Plus I have never worn a winter coat here.
But I am on the North Island. Bay of Plenty.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 4:17 pm

"Dry and very cold this evening and overnight with another widespread and severe frost across the region. With light and variable winds, mist and freezing fog patches will reform readily and persist through the night. Minimum temperature -16 °C."

I go to bed with the knowledge that I will happily and readily swap my weather, even here in the milder midlands, with any cold prolonged periods that NZ can throw at me.......
Old Dec 19th 2010, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

As a keen gardner the seasons totally throw me, the growing season is alot longer trying to work out when to plant veg etc is hard also bedding plants are out fully grown in early spring along with daffs, tuplips etc! We are now in summer and my camelia has just finished flowering. Wellington weather is very windy with sideways rain, plants need to be able to cope with this, where as Auckland is 4 seasons in the day and drought like conditions with high humdity. We went out yesterday in the pouring rain but it was far from cold in fact in was nice getting wet! DS paddled in the puddles with no shoes on Kiwi as!!!!!!
Old Dec 19th 2010, 7:14 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

. Perhaps someone could tell me which part of UK would you find people growing oranges out in the open, in their gardens?
The South West of England mate.
The phrase states 'similar'. Not 'the same'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.