Climate Change

Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:37 am

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Climate Change

Worried?

Personally I think if they do not do something drastic, soon, we are all buggered.

And as someone that wants to have children, I wonder what the future holds.

It's is also highly possible that NZ, may actually come out with some positives, which in turn may make it a highly desirable place to live in the future.

Imagine if the good old USA was turned into a desert? Or even worse Australia! Soon the world will look upon New Zealand with envious eyes.

So I am going to make sure I am tooled up! So I can mow the buggers down as they attempt to land on the beaches.

Also I understand, New Zealand has some kind of doomsday device hidden under North Head in Auckland, for just this type of situation.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

Rustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Climate Change

I guess that depends very much on what WE do about it really! For all NZ's 'clean green' image, it's anything but and should be ALOT better than it is when you consider the small population in comparison to others.

This shows really good information (David Attenburg, what more would you expect?) and shows NZ may be cooler than UK!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/climateexper...lcontext.shtml
Old Apr 19th 2007, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

Sure will. Within a decade or two things on the climate front will have disastrous consequences.

But, before we get to that point, there is a serious situation developing that will have as great an impact on society as climate change.
Starting about now.

You know............ oil

Kip
Old Apr 19th 2007, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Leighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant future

Just to throw a different opinion into the pot - has anyone over in NZ heard about the channel 4 documentary "The Great Global Warming Swindle"? If interested it can be downloaded from the channel 4 OD website (google it). It certainly gives a different opinion on the matter, and has made me feel a little less guilty (especially when wanting to Fly to and from NZ to UK every other year).
Old Apr 19th 2007, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

ezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud of

totally useless bit of information about energy.

If you get one of those electricity balls, you know the ones you touch and the lightning follows your fingers, well, if you hold a striplight tube in the other hand, just the tube nothing plugged in and touch the electricity ball, the striplight lights up! Interesting but true
Old Apr 19th 2007, 10:25 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Who knows who to believe regarding climate change. We're talking about a relatively new field of science, and trying to predict the weather for the next 100 years, and just what impact humankind has on all that.

My personal views:
- the risk is unknown and unquantifiable
- the potential outcomes are dramatic
- mainstream scientific community thinks that globally the climate is warming, and it is man induced (mainstream includes as far as I'm aware all the main peer reviewed scientific journals)
- the ones who have the most to gain or lose in all this debate are the anti-change business community, their agenda is clear
- however, even conservative political parties have conceded climate change is for real, and have developed, or are developing, their policies around this basis
- there will always be conspiracy theorists

My final point: the cost of changing human behaviour is relatively low, it probably even has a negative cost (by reducing waste and other environmental benefits), so lets just do it.

Its basic investment theory: if an investment is worth making, then make the investment as early as possible so that the benefits are maximised.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by southerner View Post

My final point: the cost of changing human behaviour is relatively low, it probably even has a negative cost (by reducing waste and other environmental benefits), so lets just do it.

Its basic investment theory: if an investment is worth making, then make the investment as early as possible so that the benefits are maximised.

I think there is a misconception that solutions are easy and all we need to do is recycle our plastics and buy a Toyota Prius.
Nothing could be further from the truth.
The need to change every aspect of our lives, starting with the focus on the economic growth needed to continue the money-go-round. Our shopping lifestyles, our holidays abroad, the way we produce food, the way we work and the kind of jobs we do.
Not to mention what happens when the rest of the world demands the same lifestyle we enjoy.
Fundamentally the problem is insoluble because people won't accept the substantial reduction in living standards required to make any difference to climate outcomes.

Have no fear. Nature will provide the solution as it always has to balance the planet.
Just eliminate the problem...........us.

Kip

Last edited by Kippers; Apr 19th 2007 at 11:23 pm. Reason: sp
Old Apr 20th 2007, 12:02 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

I agree it won't be easy, but it really is time that individuals started the change.

Yes, there is a problem getting the undeveloped world and developing world to change also, but like most things, you develop the technology in the richer countries, and then over time it too will filter out to everyone.

Deforrestation is still a very difficult issue, especially in the Amazon and othe tropical rainforest areas.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 6:53 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leighlou View Post
Just to throw a different opinion into the pot - has anyone over in NZ heard about the channel 4 documentary "The Great Global Warming Swindle"? If interested it can be downloaded from the channel 4 OD website (google it). It certainly gives a different opinion on the matter, and has made me feel a little less guilty (especially when wanting to Fly to and from NZ to UK every other year).
THIS ONE

I watched it and does make you wonder whats what and who to believe. Is it politically motivated, conservationist who?

Heck even the co-founder of Greenpeace recons its a load of rubbish and is a political/industrial cover up to make money

To quote an Eygyptian saying "We do not own the Earth, we are mearly borrowing it from our children" seems like a sensible thing to me