Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Classic car to NZ?

Classic car to NZ?

Old Sep 9th 2010, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

johnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nice
Default Classic car to NZ?

Hi,
I've had a look at a few previous posts while trying to work out if it's worth taking either our new(ish) or classic car to NZ if we go. From what I've read it seems that if the car has any trace of rust then it'll have to be repaired before it's allowed in (the classic isn't perfect)and I probably won't have any choice in who does the work. Also the cost for shipping and various inspection fees will be around £2000 for either of them.
Those of you who have taken cars old or modern, I'd appreciate it if you could share with me how much it cost.
thanks,
John.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

GuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Classic car to NZ?

From what I read on a Pistonheads post, it can be an absolute nightmare. A guy spent something like 18months importing a Dodge Viper out there. It was something to do with the car has to have been sold in NZ for it to be able to be imported. Dodge don't sell cars in NZ but Chrysler (a subsidiary) do. He eventually got it there, but it wasn't easy. Best thing is to speak to Customs and also the registering authority there for more info. What are you thinking of taking out there?
Old Sep 9th 2010, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnht
Hi,
I've had a look at a few previous posts while trying to work out if it's worth taking either our new(ish) or classic car to NZ if we go. From what I've read it seems that if the car has any trace of rust then it'll have to be repaired before it's allowed in (the classic isn't perfect)and I probably won't have any choice in who does the work. Also the cost for shipping and various inspection fees will be around £2000 for either of them.
Those of you who have taken cars old or modern, I'd appreciate it if you could share with me how much it cost.
thanks,
John.
I am a classic car lover. What do you have?
Old Sep 9th 2010, 6:30 pm
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

The rules on importing classic cars have recently changed

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/fa...a-vehicle.html

What car is it, as we have quite a big classic scene in NZ. Prices are expensive, as are spares, depending on what the car is..........
Old Sep 9th 2010, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Most cars on kiwi roads are so old they would be classed as classics anywhere else in the world
Old Sep 9th 2010, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GuyinUAE
From what I read on a Pistonheads post, it can be an absolute nightmare. A guy spent something like 18months importing a Dodge Viper out there. It was something to do with the car has to have been sold in NZ for it to be able to be imported. Dodge don't sell cars in NZ but Chrysler (a subsidiary) do. He eventually got it there, but it wasn't easy. Best thing is to speak to Customs and also the registering authority there for more info. What are you thinking of taking out there?
Isn't it funny how the powers to be bend over backwards to make shipping a car into NZ sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ******* hard yet they are quite happy to allow a pissed up driver 16 chances to drink drive before jailing the tosser, allowing 15 year old loonies to drive (quite legally with no ins to boot) and have an alco level sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo high you have to be smashed beyond belief to be able to fail it. But woe betide you if you try to bring a car within our precious shores. They also allow gangs to proliferate and the seemingly endless number of car hoons wang around the place with little or no consequence. Sometimes NZ is pathetic beyond belief. Only the other day an 18yr old caught doing 130ks on a restricted licence. In the UK under Sec 25 of PACE there would have been a power of arrest regarding the endangerment of her or others (if I remember correctly). The copper could do nought but ticket her and let her go. Within 8 hrs she was dead along with her 2 passengers and some innocent driver smashed to pieces. How pathetic is it that that cop had sod all legislation to get her off the road/ seize her car or do something, anything to try to stop what happened 8 hrs later? Toothless, useless administration we have that promised to toughen up on crime and punishment. Yeah bloody right.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

johnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nice

Originally Posted by Genesis
What do you have?
Hi,
Thanks for all the replies.
The classic is a Triumph Stag, the other 'everyday' cars that we have are a Fiat Multipla and 500C.
The Stag has a couple of small oil drips and depending on how hard you look you'd be able to find rust and repairs, if I was to stay in the UK I would aim to improve it during the winter months and then drive it during the summer (that would be June 4th - June 11th). I wouldn't want to have to have all the jobs done at once and be rushed into choosing where the work was done - if I did have any choice anyway.

John

Originally Posted by sirplug
The rules on importing classic cars have recently changed

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/fa...a-vehicle.html

What car is it, as we have quite a big classic scene in NZ. Prices are expensive, as are spares, depending on what the car is..........
Lots of hoops to jump through
I guess I could probably buy a replacement Stag in NZ with what I'd get for mine + the money I wouldn't have to pay for inspections and shipping.
John.

Last edited by BEVS; Sep 10th 2010 at 7:34 am. Reason: merge
Old Sep 10th 2010, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

rushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to all

I would recommend contacting an Entry Certififier for some specific advice - contact details are in the link given by sirplug above.

We're planning on bringing two classic cars, and the AA in NZ (one of the Entry Certifiers) were very helpful in giving us advice. They were very reassuring, and didn't seem to think that bringing the cars in would be too difficult.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 7:54 am

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

You could buy a car here but if you've had the Stag a while and know it well (and if it's a proper 3 litre V8), then I'd bring it with you. The problem with a lot of cars here, new and old, is that they have had a life that started elsewhere, mainly somewhere on the Asian mainland and no traceable history is available.........If it's got oil leaks and a 'little' rust, then I wouldn't worry too much. Be aware though, that you have to get them steam cleaned before they come to NZ.....great for the oil leaks but not so good for the rust!
Old Sep 10th 2010, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

You could buy a car here but if you've had the Stag a while and know it well (and if it's a proper 3 litre V8), then I'd bring it with you. The problem with a lot of cars here, new and old, is that they have had a life that started elsewhere, mainly somewhere on the Asian mainland and no traceable history is available.........If it's got oil leaks and a 'little' rust, then I wouldn't worry too much. Be aware though, that you have to get them steam cleaned before they come to NZ.....great for the oil leaks but not so good for the rust!
I had a 'real' Stag back in 85ish. It was a dark blue job a 76 if I remember correctly...beautiful burble even if the engines were shite..and they were. I was surprised to find some time later the engine is 2 Dolomite blocks glued to gether. The only reason they did not use the Rover V8 engine was because of the stupid 'inhouse' fighting inspite of the fact at that juncture they were all BL.
On www.trademe.co.nz (go to 'cars for sale' then 'classic cars' and you can search too for your particular marque) just now there is an incredible 1973 P5 V8 in mint condition for $6500. It is high k's but is a glorious red shod with genuine Rover alloys (well they look the part). I know photos can be decieving but it looks a right minter and well smooth down the flanks. I had one of these too in the 80s..awesome motors. I also fleetingly had a DB6 Vantage on a G plate. Huge great 4 litre twin cam on chrome wires in white. It was manual too I think. My fave was always the TR6. Had 3 of them, again all G plates ... no 125bhp nonsense only the full 150 for me!! I am ashamed to admit I got into a TR7 rag top too. What a yukky motor.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 9:55 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Good condition Triumph 2.5 Pi passed me the other day, so that´ll be their everyday winter driver then
Old Sep 10th 2010, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

Yes Sirplug, it still has the Triumph engine, the only major change has been - at some time - auto to maual box, and I know it quite well having spent quite a few hours last winter underneath it.
Good idea Rushmere, I'll see what they say.
There were 3 Stags on trademe when I looked the other day, Genesis, and various other Triumphs so as you suggest I needn't get withdrawal symptoms if I do sell up here.
John.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by simonsi
Good condition Triumph 2.5 Pi passed me the other day, so that´ll be their everyday winter driver then
Wasn't a pale blue one, was it?
Old Sep 11th 2010, 7:48 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't a pale blue one, was it?
No, somewhat faded reddish/orange....
Old Sep 11th 2010, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

does it make it easier if you take the engines out and ship them seperately.
bringing them in for spares rather than as complete cars.
Reasemble once here. I think the rules may be different if you do it this way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.